Time to get started on the starcraft resto.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Re: Time to get started on the starcraft resto.

sounds like a great plan

I am thanking my lucky stars and counting my blessing that wheel didn't come off of the axle I am not sure how it didn't, but I am certainly lucky.

It came from one of these backwoods "boat repair" shops, and the seller claimed that the bearings and hubs were greased and ready to go. That he was selling it for the price of the trailer because there wasn't enough money to be made in the hull and motor to be worth his time.

He's lucky I didn't leave the trailer on the side of the road drive back and take my money right out of his face.

Of course he compression checked the motor at 140 psi on all three which I knew was crap, but I was in a rush, and had to get home.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Never lost a bearing but thrown tread more then once though................

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Wow Sig. I think she was a little wobbly goin' down the road. Time for strippin' n flippin'.

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

Glad you made it back. Looks like some good donor parts.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

There's always something that makes a trip "interesting" it's all good as long as nothing gets trashed and nobody gets hurt. Hope you got a great deal on the glass tub, next chance get a pic of the whole set up and motor.

Last edited:

SigSaurP229

Commander

There's always something that makes a trip "interesting" it's all good as long as nothing gets trashed and nobody gets hurt. Hope you got a great deal on the glass tub, next chance get a pic of the whole set up and motor.

Forgot to post this one earlier

I do have the cowling, and the center piece.

I was told that the previous owner ran out of money and the only thing that the motor needed was timed.

It took me about thirty seconds of looking the engine over to realize a few things.

1.) The p/o was def an idiot.
2.) The (mechanicc) I bought the boat from was an even bigger idiot.
3.) I am not an expert but the missing exhaust manifold bolt is a big clue that a combination that the first two items on the list are correct statement.

4.) The last and biggest clue that statements 1 and 2 are correct The seller stated I think the previous owner has it out of time, he then proceeded to try and crank the ignition switch in the boat so that I could run the compression check. After wiggling the throttle back and forth a few times he said I know there is a sweet spot here that if I hit it the motor will crank. After three seconds of noticing that no matter how much he was moving the lever I wasn't hearing the definitive click of the shifter rod moving almost causing me to walk away. I noticed something looked off to me and indeed it was the previous owner and mechanic both had the controls hooked up like this One cable is hooked to the Linkage off of the carb. The second cable is hooked to the linkage on the timer base. No cables were hooked to the shift rod, and the linkage that runs from the carb to the timer base is MIA

Last edited:

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

How many horses?

Watermann

Looks like a 60 HP to me. You have your work cut out for you sorting out that old beast.

GA_Boater

How many horses?

Zero if Sig doesn't figure out what #1 and @2 did to her. Some peoples kids. :facepalm: I think you have some work ahead of you, Sig. Hope it's all simple stuff.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Its a 75 hp which is part of why I wanted it I think a 75 will be a good engine on a tin flip boat anywhere from a jet on up to a holiday or supersport.

It is also not an electric shift motor as well which will make it more desireable on a flip boat.

I will know a little bit more once I get the linkages straightened out, and can run a full spark test, and maybe do a wet compression test to see if the numbers come up any. As even as the compression was I am thinking most likely at worst it may need a head gasket or head which are cheap on ebay.

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral

Looks like a scary time on the interstate, had the same problem on the 201 30 miles after I left the PO's house. Hope the Johnny turns out to be a good one.

Watermann

Wow a 75 hp with the small gear case, wouldn't that be odd?

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

glad you got back OK Sig...and you didn't have to hurt your hand on a man's face :lol:

that exhaust manifold has a corroded bolts and might be a bit of a pain to get off. I'd be concerned about water in the cylinders. I'm wondering if the PO pulled (or tried to pull) the powerhead?

SigSaurP229

Commander

Blue
I am not sure but I am going to start tearing things down and get it on a stand when I get it home at this point its been a challenge just to get it home.

Assuming its a 75 because thats what the cowling says I didnt havetime to be as thorough as I woukd gave liked in my investigations. Pulling serial numbers and such i ve got so little in it i am not going to lose money though

GA_Boater

Blue
I am not sure but I am going to start tearing things down and get it on a stand when I get it home at this point its been a challenge just to get it home.

Assuming its a 75 because thats what the cowling says I didnt havetime to be as thorough as I woukd gave liked in my investigations. Pulling serial numbers and such i ve got so little in it i am not going to lose money though

Are you still picking up hubs, etc.? Hope she isn't still sitting alongside I40. How long was the trek to bring her home?

SigSaurP229

Commander

hey ga she will be home tuesday. Its sitting at my dads office in knoxville things slow down a bit becausr on top of this the admiral had a sticking brake caliper on her pacifica, the pipes at the house froze saturday morning, I have worked 6 days for the last two weeks, and the boat is 45 mins from me. My dad has a tech on staff who us going to wrap things up for me within the next day or two and he is going to bring it to the hangar.

Today I repaired the admirals vehicle and will work until 1am.

GA_Boater

Pacifica brakes and frozen pies - That's not boat work. :eek: I'm ready for some warmer weather.

GA_Boater

Did you get the frozen PIES thawed? :facepalm: I gotta learn to proofread before I send.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Yeah I lit the stove in the shop, and warmed things up was thawed in an hour, took a little longer with the house but it all worked out got lucky nothing burst