The R?surrection of the SeaGem

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant
Re: The R?surrection of the SeaGem

Bill...did you get that other issue sorted out? :p

keep us updated Billy!

My drinking to much???? :eek:............... Oh wait you mean the idle under 1000 rpm trouble;) LOL
I will know in an hour or so if I straightened out my idle problem. The carb wouldn't take any kind of adjustment so I pulled it off and rebuilt it last night. I wound up having to bush the shaft for the primary's lots of play I think it was sucking air. Man I hate Q'Jets I'll take a Holley any day over them.

Thanks to everyone for the good lucks, I couldn't have done it without you guys input and advice. There has certainly been plenty of pain, I am sure ready for the pleasure part. Especially now that I have a pinched nerve issue I am dealing with and my right arm has no strength and feels like pins all the time :(

Hi ProShade - With running 2500 rpm, I ran a huge hose from my 1" waterline to a bucket for the sea pump (closed cooling) so I was able to make sure I didn't have cavitation . I did have muffs on for the drives pump from my parents house (they live next door :eek: ), but I really don't care much about that one cause its not used

Edit - Just looked at my one pic again, Man My son Liam has a devilish look on his face :eek:,

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks good. I cant wait to read the splash down report. I am so thankful with my engine abilities mine was an outboard. Good luck with the test run. I took a friend with me so if there was issues he could tow me back in. I think, because I did, that it ran perfect. You know you buy insurrance and you will not need it. Big High fives!!!

Oh and you have two kids and thats all the higher your beer pile is? Wonders? Maybe I have a drinking problem???? :confused:Then again I have 3 kids so maybe I dont. LOL:D

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Glad to see it all come together. Should be a great boat to fish off of and to hang out on. Your sons hair is awesome :eek::eek::D:D:D

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just looked at my one pic again, Man My son Liam has a devilish look on his face ,

I remember that look when I was a kid. The thoughs running through his head is....

man this is going to be such a cool thing when I am out on dad's boat with my buddies.

I wonder how old I will have to be before he will let me take this baby out by myself.

This thing will be a chick magnet. Look how my littler sister digs it already....

How can I get dad to keep the gas tank full?........

Lets see we will need water skis, ski tubes, wake board , maybe a para sail... Yea this thing will pull a para sail...

Yeap those are the thoughs when you have a look like that on your face.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey EZ - Yup he ALWAYS is Lol

Hey Damifudo- Btw I have 5 kids :eek: if you count my step kids from my 2nd wife (I'm on my 3rd ;) ) I have 8 :eek:
I remember that look when I was a kid. The thoughs running through his head is....

man this is going to be such a cool thing when I am out on dad's boat with my buddies.

I wonder how old I will have to be before he will let me take this baby out by myself.
LOL He already asked me when he can drive her and if I can give her to him for his 10th birthday :eek:

Hey Vert - I couldn't have done it without you. Without you, my drive wouldn't go up and down, those rams saved my life , well my boating season :) .

On the parts run-down Hum the engine core was from my pal Charlie , I have a prop from Vegas, my shift cable is from Bob ( BobsGlasstream) and the rams are from Vert ............ Oops, its not my boat, its an iBoat;)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The clock is ticking....... waiting for the splashdown!

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Damifudo- Btw I have 5 kids if you count my step kids from my 2nd wife (I'm on my 3rd ) I have 8

I hate to tell you then you probably have a drinking problem. The problem is that you dont have enough money to drink as much as you need with 8 kids.:eek: And that is a problem!!

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Damifudo
I hate to tell you then you probably have a drinking problem. The problem is that you dont have enough money to drink as much as you need with 8 kids. And that is a problem!!

You got that right lol!!!

Hey Bob- Only because you said the clock is ticking......... Tomorrow is SPLASH DOWN DAY!!!
chickendance.gif

Yes I know I didn't put new bottom paint on, I figured its being trailered
I'll worry about it after I know all is well

I went and registered her on Friday, real bad day for DMV last friday of the month, I spent 3 hrs waiting in line :eek:

Yesterday I put the carb back on and fired her up. There is still some issues I did get the idle down to 750 but I think there is a problem with the Merc HEI box or the pickup in the distributor. At 650 it jumps between initial and the base deg of electronic advance causing the rpm to bounce. So.... I set it for the 8 deg initial and adjusted the idle to 750. At 750rpm my timing is around 12-14 but she runs smooth so I will mess with it later.

Today I washed, waxed, installed the radio, fire extinguisher, put the stickers on, got my town boat ramp permit & secured everything. I even installed a cigarette lighter LOL. I even checked over my hydraulics, removed the gantry from my truck. She is ready to roll!!!!

100_1218.jpg

Tomorrow, weather permitting I am hitting the water in the am. :D

My only concern is it looks like I am doing it solo (all my pals have to work) and its a 22' 4000 lb boat:eek: I know I can launch it fine, its the retrieval part I'm worried about. My last boat was a 33' Chris Craft that 1) was docked & 2) was dry docked in the shipyard during winter. Hence it never left , they rigged it in and out for me.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hey Man she looks good all latched to the box van! you hafta paint SEA GEM RECOVERY VEHICLE on the side of that van or somthin'! lol :p

if there's anything ya need gimme a call...hope all goes well with the launch!! (it should you've been through the P's and Q's of your boat pretty well...

CHEERS! and have a ball!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Bill,
I'm looking forward to seeing the pic's from the splash.
Now, make sure you play it safe.
Take care and Good Luck
Bob

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Hope everything is going well with the splash! Looking forward to an update.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Thanks All for the well wishes,

UPDATE !!

Huston we have ignition
It was pretty easy getting her in the water and getting her out by myself
The boat sits perfect, planes real easy, I little throttle and she was sitting up on plane, running strong. No listing whatsoever, for a 3800lb boat I felt like I was driving my Daddy's Caddy LOL Below is a pick of her at the launch dock, below it is a video just click on the image.

Here she is sitting in the water
IMG00629.jpg

Click on the image below to see short video

OK, Now that that's out of the way HERE COMES THE BAD NEWS :(

I BLEW UP THE ALPHA I DRIVE :eek::mad:

All was going well then.... it kinda felt like a bad tranny started to slip. When I came to a stop I look out the back and I see nothing but oil boat would not move, I started drifting :eek: I waited a few tried putting her in gear again NO LUCK ! Tried reverse and she worked/slipped/worked/slipped etc... SO I drove it back to the dock in reverse LOL.

HOme now pulled the plug on the drive, and got water and a little milk. Guess its time for SEI I wonder if I can have it before the weekend, Hum today is only monday lol

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Congrats on the splash Bill!!!!!!!!!!! that calls for the chicken dance!
great vid and the Sea Gem looks sweet on the water!

and sorry that you NUKED the drive! :eek:
nuke.jpg

not fun! sorry Bill! if I had a spare drive I'd send it off to ya!
you will find something .....you always bounce back from these things smelling like roses.....let's see what ya got

Attachments

• chickendance.gif
    chickendance.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 0

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Bill,
Great news about the splash.
That's a real bummer about the drive. any ideas on the cause yet.
I have a spare drive but the wrong gear ratio. Wish I could help you out.
Take care and keep us updated.
Bob

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Dang....i almost was going to mention earlier if your drive could handle that beast....but didn't want to jinx you, so now i will think a new bravo will appear for you.......congrats and bummer...but i know you had a S.E.G on your mug for a bit today!

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hi Bob-
Thanks for the thought anyway :) Its always good to have a spare drive, you might need it at some point. I have a 1.65 on her now :eek:

Hey Kev-
I sure did have a big old S.E.G on my face:D She
I actually de-tuned the engine to keep the HP down. It has a mild cam, flat top pistons, 76cc heads,stock manifold and carb. The Comp Cams software only has it at 330 hp. But the software also says it has 499fp of torque, that's right about where I was when it went. It feels like some teeth broke kinda like a slipping clutch. My thoughts are that it was a $100 e-bay special, in other words junk. I was able to limp back to the dock in reverse I drove 1 1/2 mi backwards:eek: so I'm thinking the forward gear

I am arguing with myself between just buy a new drive from SEI and call it a day or tear it apart and try to rebuild it. If I rebuild it I have to buy the Mercruiser tools. It might wind up costing me as much as spending the $1195 for new.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The warranty alone makes the SEI seem like a no-brainer.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

The warranty alone makes the SEI seem like a no-brainer.

Hey EZ,
Your 300% right I just ordered it :D, I figured enough playing games. This is the one weak link, time to get rid of it to have reliability. I do know what caused it I think I busted the forward gear in the lower. Sorry to say though it was self inflicted :eek: I looked at the nautical chart and the level between the buoys is only 1/2 fathom (3') there :eek: Im 38" to the bottom of the skeg from my water line. I drove it into the sand and snapped the gear. BUT, if it broke on such a lite hit it was junk to begin with.

It amazes me that they don't have any restrictions for that ramp or dredge the inlet

PS- The SS Prop has a few light nicks, but for the most part is unscathed thank God

Huron Angler

Admiral

I've always heard that SS props will break the lower unit before the blades...if you had been running an aluminum prop it may have only damaged the prop itself?

Sounds like you were only inches from being fine thru that shallow spot.

Maybe need to add a depth finder to the rig:)

The SeaGem looks great, I bet she can handle some weather once the new drive is bolted on.:D