The God Gap.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: The God Gap.

What are you talking about,PW2? None of that was even eluded to here in any form! :confused: <br />What a twisted view of Conservatism and Christians you exhibit! Who wants to have anything to do with turning a free country into a church?<br />Get real, my twisted friend. And keep atheism,if it's your worship. Just do not attempt to remove my God,or any reference thereof, while leaving behind anything else, Jewish, Islamic,or otherwise. Don't you get it?<br />Osama's cult do what they do against Christians. Would you have Christianity banned? He would, and worse...Now that should frighten you, not your christian niegbors.<br /><br />And if that truely does frighten you, you need help.<br />I would Re-click the link given, and read it. Then, open the good book .It hurts less than any Muslim who blows up in your presence.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Why the "secularists" are inclined to vote democrat.. <br /><br />Simple.. The DNC is more tollerant to other cultures and beliefs than the GOP, hence the secularists can be secularists in the DNC without being chastised for being secularists by religious folk.....<br /><br />Face it.. The "kinder, genteler, more caring" GOP thing is'nt working.. It backfired.. Try a new gimmic...

NOSLEEP

Commander

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> When thinking for oneself is involved, democrats win.<br /><br />When rigid dogmatic beliefs is involved, and no individual thinking is required, republicans win.<br /><br />No question about it, I agree completely.
You called that one wrong PW2<br /><br />When thinking of oneself is involved ,democrats <br />win.<br /><br />When beliefs are involved and no self is required,<br />Republicans win.

rogerwa

Commander

I don't beleive the fathers of this country meant that any reference to a god would be stricken from anything related to the Government. I do beleive that they protected us against a church state, where the rule of the religion is the rule of the land and our leaders are elders within the religion (think muslim state).. <br /><br />I am a conservative and PW2 you are full of crap. To label republicans as you did is cheap and uninformed. It is the democrats who make all the noises to the faithful masses when only a small percentage of the blather is actually true (insert Michael Moore).<br /><br />I am a conservative because I believe Abortion is murder. Religion or not, no matter which lens you are viewing it, it is murder. A womans choice is not to have sex (don't bring up rape or incest - fact is bad things happen - still doesn't justify murder). Having sex without the resulting consequences is not one of our inalienable rights. <br /><br />I also do not support unionization. It creates a false economy in certain industries. I do believe that the unions have played a vital role in our countries growth, but now we have strikes for higher pay when the company is losing money and the workers are holding out for crippling pay raises. But you know the execs get paid so much. Well they are better educated and have vital skills necessary for running a company. If you don't like it, stop watching the chips roll down the line and get an execs job.<br /><br />I am a republican because they think like I do and democrats don't. Republicans just didn't drive the bus down to my neighborhood to take me to the polling place and give me a voters guide. If that were the case I would be voting Kerry this year. Instead I will be voting for a candidate that supports my values, will do his best to kick the terroists in the nutsac, and to keep my taxes low so I can buy more stuff.

aspeck

Staff member

The Sign <br /><br />Ladyfish's post sums it up for me. I usually try to stay out of these posts because it ends up doing no one any good. However, it was earlier stated that Christians should keep their faith at home or in the Church. To this I must say, "YOU ARE WRONG!"<br /><br />If Christ had kept his faith in the synagogue and at home, we would not have Christianity. If the disciples and others did that, how would Christianity grow? Although the Bible does tell us to "Forsake not the assembling of yourselves together (go and be a part of a local church)" it does not tell the Christian to keep it there. Christianity SHOULD be a way of life (unfortunately for many it is not, but a convenience).<br /><br />Now to my point, if I have something that is good, lifechanging, helpful, etc., and I keep it to myself, then I am just being plain selfish. If I may get political for a moment, the liberal's idea is to share everything that is good. Well, I have something that is great and I want to share it with everyone. I have tried it, I have tested it, and it has worked in EVERY situation ... and it is free! So don't ask me to be selfish and stingy. I am going to share it with everyone that wants to listen. If you don't want to listen and take advantage of this fantastic offer, that is your choice, I just hope you realize the "Bridge is out" before it is too late.<br /><br />BTW, that is one of our (Christian's) biggest problems - sometimes our answers are too "churchy" and are not understood by the passing motorist - until they find the "Bridge Out" on their own and it is too late.<br /><br />Hope this made sense. So much going on in my head from this post and wanted to keep it as short as possible - nothing worse than a long-winded preacher!

Carphunter

Commander

Snapper, Snapper, Snapper, what the heck are we gonna do with you. :p <br /><br />Whether you want it or not, i'm gonna pray for ya brother. I seriously hope that in your heart, you find God someday.<br /><br />Thats whats great about Christianity, no matter how much you reject it, God is still there for you, ready to forgive. :)

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

There are people of Muslim faith living in this country that are just as American as you and I. The same laws that apply to us, also apply to them. I would never want to be required to pray to Allah, or Muhammed, or Buddha. Because of that, I could never in good concience require them to pray to MY God. My God is not their god. As such, I do not believe that prayer belongs in public schools. Just one example of the separation of church and state, I can give many more.<br /><br />I think it is also kind of odd to imply that removing religion from the legal system puts us on the road to a great demise, citing the Roman Empire as evidence. Does not evidence exist to the contrary? Much of the middle-east is a church-state, and their society doesn't seem to be flourishing all that great. Perhaps we don't want to follow in their footsteps.

Carphunter

Commander

There is only one God.<br /><br />What is practiced in the Middle-east is a far cry from Christianity.<br /><br />People are allowed to follow any religion here in America, and thats fine, but lets not forget that many of our forefathers founded this country with strong Christian beliefs. And many of our forefathers were much wiser than any of the politicians of today.<br /><br />Tell me, why, all of a sudden, are so many people rejecting God, and Christianity? Why, all of a sudden, is saying God in school a bad thing? Why, all of a sudden, does "In God We Trust", mean something evil that should be removed from our currency?<br />Why do some people think that believing in God is a bad thing?<br /><br />Christianity is not evil, it is just the opposite.<br /><br />Give it a try, you will be pleasantly surprised.<br /> :)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Pray untill your heart is content, Carpy... If that's what gets it for ya, then do that stuff... Thank you Carpy... <br /><br />Aspeck.. I do not try to influence people to see religion the way I do out of respect for others beliefs, or lack of.. I only ask that my fellow man recriprocate that respect, hence my advice to "keep it to yourself".. It's good advice should you be inclined to take it, especially in this day and age of nutjobs with guns killing because "God" told them to.. (earlier, I should have kept to myself. sorry.)<br /><br />Yall'.. Have a nice day, and a nicer tomorrow... :)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by wilkin250r:<br /> There are people of Muslim faith living in this country that are just as American as you and I. The same laws that apply to us, also apply to them. I would never want to be required to pray to Allah, or Muhammed, or Buddha. Because of that, I could never in good concience require them to pray to MY God. My God is not their god. As such, I do not believe that prayer belongs in public schools. Just one example of the separation of church and state, I can give many more.
We agree 100% here.<br /><br />
Originally posted by wilkin250r:<br /><br />I think it is also kind of odd to imply that removing religion from the legal system puts us on the road to a great demise, citing the Roman Empire as evidence. Does not evidence exist to the contrary? Much of the middle-east is a church-state, and their society doesn't seem to be flourishing all that great. Perhaps we don't want to follow in their footsteps.
Now this is where we part ways in a big way---Although I used it as an example of a great society, The Roman Empire FELL. I don't like the idea of America 'falling'. I hate anarchy. And no, it's not as odd as you think it is. Some of your countrymen would kill and die to keep it just as it is. If professing one's faith is odd, then it's time to draw a line in the porverbial sand in front of those who would strip me of my freedoms. This goes for all of my fellow Americans too, regardless of thier own faith.<br />Re-read it. Comprehension is everything, and I don't beet-around any bushes. <br />I wasn't 'implying' we should burn-down Muslim temples, but exactly opposite of that. I was trying to proove to the "anti-Christians" (for lack of a more inclusive lable), that our system werks better than Sadamn's and Binladen's version of 'society' -- By drawing attention to the FACT that there is one in my town still standing--- even after 9/11/01 !!! that does not happen in many places on this planet, so cherish and protect it, instead of trying to stiffle my rights to worship my own faith. I cannot deny my hatered for radicals of any ilk, but provided they stay cival, so be it.<br />As Americans, we are tolerant to the point of self-endangerment! It's when the lunatic fringe start hijacking comercial aircraft and flying them into buildings, I put down a line in the sand.It's storngly advised that it not be crossed.<br /><br />I'm as American as those Islamic worshipers on Royal Palm Drive, and demand equal rights as such.

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

Islam is tolerated and is talked about in public schools. Christianity is not. I know a college student that has been asked to write a paper on religion. It can be any religion as long as it is not Christianity. That is in a public, state funded college. Some tolerance.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

If I was personally involved with that scenareo, somebody's school would be sued, and I could retire, not needing to pass state-funded college to be monitarily secure. :) <br />If you know this student, have him contact a lawyer that likes money (easy to locate in the yellow pages).

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Carp, I brought up the middle-east simply to show the absurdity of it all. If religion (or lack of) was the reason for the fall of the Roman Empire, then why isn't it the saviour of the middle east? They are both equally absurd arguments, in my opinion.<br /><br />I am more concerned with what is happening today. Times change, societies change, the world changes and our laws have to change with them.<br /><br />Let's look at the flip side of the coin. Picture a small town in Wisconsin. Can you imagine the outcry if the high-school football coach wanted to offer a prayer to Allah before the big game? That little town in the middle of the bible belt would be ready to lynch him! Sure, we're all for prayer in school, as long as its a good Christian prayer. We won't tolerate any of that heathen crap...<br /><br />Can you imagine the outcry from the Baptist community if we were to put "In Joseph Smith We Trust" across the face of a Federal courthouse? To them, the idea of another testament of Jesus Christ outside of the New Testament is downright blasphemous.<br /><br />Sure, you're all for religion being in our courthouses and our schools, as long as it's YOUR religion. What if it isn't?<br /><br />I don't want anybody telling me what to believe, when to pray, and who to pray to. And because of that, I can't tell anybody else what to believe, or who to pray to.<br /><br />Now, I don't mean to imply that a solid Christian faith is a bad thing. I just don't think it should be taught in schools or legislated into law. There are other American citizens that do not share your faith and your beliefs, and I think we need to respect them.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

This country was formed on religion. "In god we trust" is on our money. It is in our Pledge of Allegiance (sp) (yes, I know it was added later). There are many references to god and religion in our laws and proceedings. It will be forever a nation under god.<br /><br />Those that are offended by this are free to leave at any time.<br /><br />Those that don’t agree with this are free to stay here, and lead successful lives, without any persecution. The only burden required is that they hear "under god" in the pledge and a prayer every now and then. They don’t have to pray or say "under god". They don’t have to listen to our prayers. They don’t have to go to church. We only ask them to respect our choice. <br /><br />That is the definition of "freedom of religion". If you choose to be atheist, you may do so without any persecution. You will not be jailed, you will not be brainwashed. But you will also respect others wishes to have a religion. It is our right to have one, as long as we don’t force you to have one too. Having to wait while we pray is not forcing you to have a religion, it is merely an inconvenience for you.<br /><br />Ken

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

Wisconsin, Bible belt! That is a laugh. Public schools are promoting one over the other and purposely excluding one. I do not care what anyones religion is. Just do not exclude me because of mine. You have not seen it unless you have lived it.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

I agree that Christianity is getting the short end of the stick in all this. I agree that Christianity is being unfairly persecuted. I agree, and I'm sorry.<br /><br />Unfortunatly this is a product of the battle being fought between the secular and non-secular portions of society. For those screaming for freedom FROM religion, Christianity is the opponent. As such, it is going to be under the most fire. <br /><br />I don't agree with many of the tactics of the secular side. But just because their methods are wrong does not mean their goal is wrong also.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

ASPECK that was one of the best posts I have seen in awhile thanx :)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

OK. So let's tally things up here after 56 (+-) posts...Hmmm..<br />It would apear the orignal link was right on-target, wouldn't it? Praise God! He has a way of prooving points without anyone noticing!!!<br />If you don't believe me, look at those who contributed thier opinions to this thread, and it's along the party lines, allmost to 100% !!!Immanent voting liberal, no "Ten Commandments" sculpture in thier rotundas -- ,or anti-freedom of religion.(I'm trying to be nice here).... :( <br /><br />Immanent vote for conservatives, Pro-God.<br />Our own replies tell the entire story, all BS asside! The Lord moves in mysterious ways!<br />Onward, Christian soldiers! And don't forget to vote in November. :cool:

Carphunter

Commander

Wilkin, you have failed to answer my questions. Why, now, is saying God in school a bad thing? Do you really believe that are society is in better shape now that we are trying to erase God from everything? I don't.<br /><br />Everybody talks about the good old days, back before drugs were a major problem, or gangs, or school shootings, maybe the reason these times have changed is because so many people are distancing themselves from God now.<br /><br />I do know that there are fewer people now raising their children with these Christian beliefs, then there were 50 years ago. <br /><br />I absolutely see no positives to erasing God from our culture. Only negatives. <br /><br />If you choose to pursue a different religion, thats fine, but again remember that this country was founded on strong Christian beliefs, and just maybe are forefathers were a little smarter then we are today.<br /><br />.....and as Aspeck so eloquently put it, as a Christian, I am compelled to spread the word about Christianity. Read the Bible, spend some time in Church, learn about Christianity, and see if it doesn't affect your life in a positive way, ...........'cause I gaurantee it will, I'm living proof of it. :)

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with his wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever." <br /><br />Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, Query 18, 1781<br /><br />I thought I would share this quote, especially since Thomas Jefferson is considered by most to not be a Christain. He also said that his religion was between his God and himself, but the quote above is powerful to me.