The God Gap.

PW2

Commander
Re: The God Gap.

It seems to me that you God types are indeed wanting to jam your religion down us secularists throats.<br />Frankly I don't care, or give any thought to, what anyone else believes from a religious standpoint. I don't understand why you would care what I believe.<br /><br />As far as the ten commandments, why in the world should the government care whether I honor my father or not? Or whether I lust after my neighbor's wife? Or why should they be concerned with which gods or how many gods, I worship?<br /><br />Clearly there are some of these commandments that are none of the government's business, at least one that purports to be free. We already have laws against indiscriminately killing other people, so what possible purpose does posting these commandments do, except to discriminate against those that may chose not to believe in the "correct" god, or other things that are equally not their business.<br /><br />It clearly should not be posted in an official government building, except perhaps a museum.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> It seems to me that you God types are indeed wanting to jam your religion down us secularists throats.<br />Frankly I don't care, or give any thought to, what anyone else believes from a religious standpoint. I don't understand why you would care what I believe.<br /><br />As far as the ten commandments, why in the world should the government care whether I honor my father or not? Or whether I lust after my neighbor's wife? Or why should they be concerned with which gods or how many gods, I worship?<br /><br />Clearly there are some of these commandments that are none of the government's business, at least one that purports to be free. We already have laws against indiscriminately killing other people, so what possible purpose does posting these commandments do, except to discriminate against those that may chose not to believe in the "correct" god, or other things that are equally not their business.<br /><br />It clearly should not be posted in an official government building, except perhaps a museum.
Nobody is telling you what you must believe. You are free to reject the commandments of God. You are NOT free to rewrite history or deny others the right to express their beliefs.<br /><br />As far as the Ten Commandments...like it or not, the roots of Western Civilization sprouted from Mosaic Law. Our society is great because of the principles that guide it. Our freedom is philosophically based on Judeo-Christian beliefs.<br /><br />If you think a God-less society is so great, it's too bad the Soviet Union is gone. You might have felt right at home there. Maybe it's not too late though...a lot of the residual effect of state-imposed atheism is still in evidence for you to enjoy.<br /><br />"We already have laws against indiscriminately killing other people, so what possible purpose does posting these commandments do..."<br /><br />Now THERE'S something entertaining! We ALREADY have the law? Where in blazes do you think that law came from? Did you think Moses came down from the mountain with the Ten Commandments in 1950?<br /><br />To sum it up, the Founding Fathers were some very wise men. They wrote some stuff for you to read. Suggested tiltes are "The Constitution of the United States," the "Declaration of Independence," and "The Federalist Papers." <br /><br />The rest of America is not willing to dump our heritage because of your shrieking and whining and twisting of the truth. So get over it.<br /><br />You leftists, marxists, and atheists are all acting like this is the Soviet Union and it has been invaded by the Vatican. We are tired of you acting as though "we" are imposing radical change when in fact it all the radical BS is coming from YOUR side.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by PW2:<br />I don't understand why you would care what I believe.
Because we are commanded to care, PW, for your soul, not for us.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> As far as the ten commandments, why in the world should the government care whether I honor my father or not? Or whether I lust after my neighbor's wife? Or why should they be concerned with which gods or how many gods, I worship?
The Government should care, PW, because they should not want us to engage in ways that have proven throughout history, to be part of the behavior patterns that have been at the forefront of the demise of great civilizations.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br />
Originally posted by snapperbait:<br /> Do you honestly believe democrats, or any other viable American political force, would persecute or kill you or I for our beliefs or lack there of?
No, not today or maybe tomorrow. What I do believe is that we will continue to see a degradation of the American Era, as it becomes more and more secularized. Whether you accept it or not, Snapperbait, this society has been going downhill, since the Liberals began to forsake God, in the early sixties.
And that, my friends is the whole topic in one WELL WRITTEN paragraph!<br />It is a matter of documented history, and cannot be denied,in spite of repeated attempts to validate thier assaults as "new age" or "changing times" or "modern approach", or whatever else they excuse it with.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

aaaaaah, 12Footer, don't forget the very tolerant, PROGRESSIVE view! :p

PW2

Commander

I'm curious where this notion of our laws being based on Judeo Christion beliefs comes from.<br /><br />Our founding fathers did a masterful job at incorporating many of the great human philosophys in history in our constitution including, but not limited to, the old testament, Confucious, ancient Greek civilization, Greek mythology, Hammurabi, and others.<br /><br />It is why on the building of the Supreme court, there are statues commemorating the "law givers" depicting Solon, of ancient Greece, Confucious, and Moses. There are also statues of The Three Fates of Greek Mythology. Among other things.<br /><br />How could anyone argue that it is based solely of Judeo Christian values?? When clearly and specifically it is not.<br /><br />There are necessary rules to be followed for society to function, and the genesis for these rules originated from all aspects of human history, and various philosophies. That is the beauty of it all.<br /><br />As far as a Godless society, I really do not understand the reference. We are specifically not looking for the government to favor any one religion, or lack of religion, over any other religion, or belief system. Why is that so difficult to understand??<br /><br />This is called freedom, and what is it about freedom that so scares Christians?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> I'm curious where this notion of our laws being based on Judeo Christion beliefs comes from.<br /><br />Our founding fathers did a masterful job at incorporating many of the great human philosophys in history in our constitution including, but not limited to, the old testament, Confucious, ancient Greek civilization, Greek mythology, Hammurabi, and others.<br /><br />It is why on the building of the Supreme court, there are statues commemorating the "law givers" depicting Solon, of ancient Greece, Confucious, and Moses. There are also statues of The Three Fates of Greek Mythology. Among other things.<br /><br />How could anyone argue that it is based solely of Judeo Christian values?? When clearly and specifically it is not.
Who is? Who would?<br />Not all religions are Christian. Some self-proclaimed faiths worship human skulls. Thank God the builders left that reference off the motif (not that it bans that "relligion' from practicing).<br /><br />
Originally posted by PW2:<br /><br />There are necessary rules to be followed for society to function, and the genesis for these rules originated from all aspects of human history, and various philosophies. That is the beauty of it all.
Agreed. What is your point? <br />
Originally posted by PW2:<br /><br />As far as a Godless society, I really do not understand the reference. We are specifically not looking for the government to favor any one religion, or lack of religion, over any other religion, or belief system. Why is that so difficult to understand??
Walk into a government school to SEE your question answered.<br />We are not asking for church services to be held in the gym...We just want the freedom to wear a shirt that says, "I LOVE JESUS",or"BODY PIERCING SAVED MY LIFE" on it. For our christian kids to have the right to carry thier bibles in thier own book bags, and the security to be allowed to read said Bible durring lunchbreak or study hall, without being attacked or marshalled-off school property.<br />It's not hard to understand, PW2. I was listening to a news report durring the democrtic conventions, and they were interviewing some obscure (to me anyway) delegate, who said that the "contitution allows freedom from religion". You see, it's how those who want God out of schools read and comprehend that, when the Ammendment clearly reads, Freedom OF religion.<br />
Originally posted by PW2:<br /><br />This is called freedom, and what is it about freedom that so scares Christians?
No.It's not fear of freedom. It's anger towards those who would try to ban our faith, and an attempt towards self-preservation . "freedom FROM religion" has us cleaning our firearms just in case. This is because these freedoms and rights will only be ripped from us posthumously.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Good post 12fter..........Nobody is forcing you PW to pray or acknowledge God, dont force us to hide our relationship with him, thats what this is about. "Of" and "From" are two very different things but the left would like us to just ingnor that so somewhere down the line they can pull our right "TO" religion away from us.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

These whom want to be free to openly tout there love of god and jesus without prejudice are the very same people who want openly gay homosexuals to stay in the closet because the lifestyle disgusts them....<br /><br />Perhaps you should heed your own advice, my openly religious friends.. Keep your religion at home and in the church where it belongs... Who knows? Your religion might disgust someone to the point where you end up on the recieveing end of a complete and total verbal thrashing from someone using his/her freedom of speech, or worse... Don't cry foul when you bring religion out in public and someone beats you down because of it... That's the risk you'll run bringing anything out in public, in a free country..<br /><br /><br />12Footer.. I'm assuming here that you mean Jr. can't wear a t-shirt to school that states
"I LOVE JESUS",or"BODY PIERCING SAVED MY LIFE"
?<br /><br />If that is the case, it's probably the same school dress policy that would not allow Jr. to wear a t-shirt that states, " F#$% you, you f%^&'n f*%& "... <br /><br />Here's my favorite...<br />"Anger towards those who would try to ban our faith"... How can someone ban faith? This statement puzzles me? Pry open your head with a crow bar and suck your faith out with a shop vac? If you fear that someone can take away, or ban, your faith, your faith must not be very strong... Need to work on that... ;) <br /><br />PS.. It's Sunday morning... Why are'nt you all in church? :confused: <br /><br />Why an i messing around on this thread again? :confused:

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

First off, since when is being openly sexual, homo-sexually or hetro-sexually, the same thing as dispaying my faith.I or I doubt anybody else here have no problems with someone wearing a Im G*y t-shirt or professing publicly that they are G*y but What we stand against is giving them specail rights because of it. Its like saying Because im Christian I deserve special rights like tax breaks and insurance rights that you as a non-christian should not get. big difference.. And your idea that teeshirts that say I love Jesus and F#$% you, you f%^&'n f*%& "... are even comparable to each other show exzactly why the Far left which you must be part of to even think this way, are so dangerous to our country. It is totally obscene to think that they are one and the same. I supose you feel if its ok to show a picture of Jesus it should be ok to show a picture of a nude woman??????? Oh and By the way #1 I go to the evning service at my Church and for your information #2 going to church is not nessassary to being a Christian #3 God resides in my heart not in a building. If you want to make a point great go for it , how about not attacking people for not thinking the way you do. Or wait thats not the way of the left is it, attack until someone is forced to attack back then quikly change subject and attack something else then cry foul for being attacked back then re attack about something else ....one big vicious circle. :mad:

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Ditto. and AMEN, Mike..Or they'll attack until they remove your freedom to worship. The Romans tried that with every religious faith they assimulated into thier empire. They failed miserably.Snapperait, if it is tried here in my country, it will fail miserably AGAIN.<br />I allways called myself "Christian", but seldom went to church (After all, God knows my heart and all that rot)...Then, the PC atheists decided the sculpture of the "Ten Commandments" did not belong in the rotunda of a public building, and got a human "judgement" to have it removed.<br /><br />I went to church the following Sunday, and am re-learning the life I foresook ever since. It became apparent to me that the war between God and Satan was taking place under my very nose, and until that time, I did not see the forest for the trees.<br />It became time to put my body where my heart was, and become a soldier for Christ. I have much to learn, and still many hard-learned habits that I need to change. But I'm giving it my all. This is as good a place as any to urge you to follow your own heart, put on your uniform,grab your weaponry, and fight the battle for good or evil. That is, if you know which side you're on.<br />And To think, some folks do not see the "God Gap"...Amazing!<br /><br />Which begs the question, "PS.. It's Sunday morning... Why are'nt you all in church? "<br />I go every Sunday, thank you. Last week,it was a packed house,and no A/C (Hurricane blew the unit over)...But somehow we "suffered-thru" it .<br />Talk to God before it's too late.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

No, thank you..<br /><br />Just answer me a few questions, please...<br /><br /> How could the liberal democrats want to ban religion? Would that not offend the religious constituants of the democratic party, among them, Christians, Hebrews, Hindus, Buddists, and probably every other God fearing group under the sun? Would'nt that be counterproductive for the DNC?

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Originally posted by PW2:<br /><br />As far as a Godless society, I really do not understand the reference. We are specifically not looking for the government to favor any one religion, or lack of religion, over any other religion, or belief system. Why is that so difficult to understand??<br />
If not, then why all the hoopla about removing references to God from places where they have been for two hundred years?<br /><br />We DO understand! All this is coming from people who positively DO want to kick God out of all aspects of public life. This crap was started by Madelline Murray O'Hare, an avowed atheist, and a court opinion from an activist judge who invented the concept of "separation of church and state."<br /><br />Quote: "As far as a Godless society, I really do not understand the reference." <br /><br />Now, this is another disingenuous lie. You know full well and you uinderstand perfectly. Faking confusion will get you nowhere. Were it not for the gravity of the subject, your denial would be downright comical...like the little kid caught with one hand in the cookie jar and the other hand jamming Oreos down his throat.<br /><br />You are free to be an atheist, if that's what you think makes you happy, but you won't be allowed to reform America in your own image.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Originally posted by snapperbait:<br /> No, thank you..<br /><br />Just answer me a few questions, please...<br /><br /> How could the liberal democrats want to ban religion? Would that not offend the religious constituants of the democratic party, among them, Christians, Hebrews, Hindus, Buddists, and probably every other God fearing group under the sun? Would'nt that be counterproductive for the DNC?
Who said the liberal democrats want to ban religion? You amaze me snapper. You venture into the same traps time after time after time, and no matter how many times you get called on it, you keep trying the same tactics.<br /><br />One of the definitions of "insanity" is when one takes the same course of action over and over expecting the results to be different. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Another thread becomes dull and not worth further attention...<br /><br />Hasta la vista!

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

"If not, then why all the hoopla about removing references to God from places where they have been for two hundred years?" <br /><br />I have a novel idea... Why not add some more references to various religious text in public places..... There are plenty to choose from.. Buddism, Taoism, Hinduism, Shinotism, Wicca, Neopaganism, Satanism, Confucianism, just to name a few...<br /><br />Would that be a problem?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by dogsdad:<br /> <br /><br />You are free to be an atheist, if that's what you think makes you happy, but you won't be allowed to reform America in your own image.
Ever.<br /><br />
Originally posted by snapperbait:<br /> I have a novel idea... Why not add some more references to various religious text in public places..... There are plenty to choose from.. Buddism, Taoism, Hinduism, Shinotism, Wicca, Neopaganism, Satanism, Confucianism, just to name a few...<br /><br />Would that be a problem?
Never. It's called freedom OF religion, and why there is an Islamic Temple in my town that has not been closed by the government, much less, burned to the ground by Americans of other faiths.

PW2

Commander

You folks do indeed frighten me.<br /><br />Until I got on this board, I always felt that I had a fair bit of common ground with conservatives generally. While we never agreed on everything, I did agree with some things.<br /><br /> I can still listen attentively to a Newt Gingrich speech, whether or not I agreed with him on individual points.<br /><br />Not anymore. And that is because somehow or other this evangelical movement has hijacked the conservative movement into something else again. They somehow want to turn this specifically into a Christian nation, and impose their draconian vision of morality on the rest of us.<br /><br />No longer is it a poltical philosophy that yearns for a smaller less intrusive government and more individual freedoms <br /><br />And worst of all, they try to hide it and pretend it isn't true.<br /><br />Watch the upcoming convention, and you will see nothing but moderate Republicans as featured speakers, and all but McCain are Pro Choice Republicans. Would that they would govern that way, but there is no chance of that.<br /><br />They are using the old "strawberry packaging" theory of selling themselves--putting the most attractive on the surface, and hiding what's really in the package.<br /><br />The sad part is that it may well be successful, and it scares the bejeesus out of me!