Starcrafter65's 1968 Holiday Resto Thread with Lot's o PICs!

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Starcrafter65's 1968 Holiday Resto Thread with Lot's o PICs!

Id like to see a close up of those step pads to see what they are supposed to look like. I have the frames on my boat but nothing in them.

grantcool

Cadet

Did you replace the windshield on that Nassau? If so, where did you get it? I need one....

North Beach

Commander

Clark, every once in a while I see those white pads on ebay. Just keep lookin and they'll show up again.

BTW, that red is frikkin awesome!!!!

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Here you go. Brittle and cracked but still OK for looks.[/QUOTE]

Those are them!

I am sure someone could mold them....I have a friend who has a sign shop - I'll ask him

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

At some point you have to stop painting....here it is with touch ups later on....

BH065.jpg

I used Interlux Brightsides for everything - Hatteras Off White and Fire Red. I sprayed it - I brushed the Nassau. Observations:

1. Spraying is great if...the prep is perfect. I almost left the bottom w/o finish - when I sprayed it came out perfect right away. The top was not stripped to bare - took a while to get it to look right - and gearing up and down to spray is a pain.
2. I used self etching primer. This stuff will EAT poly paint that has not fully cured - peels it right off.
3. I brushed the Nassau. I used a method of thinning the paint by 20-30 percent and putting coat after coat on. This method worked very well and I would say the look results were equal that of spraying.
4. When you spray - cover completely - over spray GETS EVERYWHERE! Works its way into every little gap in your masking job - not an issue with brushing.
5. Honestly - if I did it again - I would probably brush....the thinning 6-7 coats + rubbing compound - looked great - as good as spraying and was all in all easier.

Here is my new bow light (ebay $21).

BH066.jpg

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Wow, looks fantastic. You really have an eye for paint and color.

Can't wait to see it finished. Nice find on the light, nice price too.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

That bowlight is funny - the seller took a poor picture of it and you really could not see what it was. A week later the same one - with no lenses - but with the ensign - sold for 200 because the seller took 10 pics and hyped it!

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

When we last talked - hit huge snag! - Guess what - a 1989 3.0 does not mate to a Gen 1 drive! So onto CL and scored ($1200) a pristine Alpha1 - so what I have now is pretty much a resto-rod. Pulled the Gen 1 drive (anyone need it?) Thankfully the hole for the Alpha is bigger!

BH071.jpg

Here is a typical story. This came out of a glasser - the drive train was perfect. The guy I got the drive from does boat/motor repair on the side gets rotted glassers and pulls components (it doesn't take long here in Buffalo). He said he could tell the boat had a small problem - owner couldn't fix it - sits outside for 2-3 years and done like dinner. He pulled the drive, resealed, pressure tested, new gimbal, new fluids. I installed the through hull stuff and noticed the lower shifter cable was stiff. My deal with him was to go back and have him (or me help him) line the motor up and finsih installation.

So we put a new lower cable in and it had a kink from a poor install (twisted!). The the guy had a bad cable install - and if this cable isn't correct nothing will go well. So bad cable leads to rotted boat....

So the 68' holiday has all new drivetrain.

BH073.jpg

Guy I worked with with EXTREMELY top shelf. We got all the linkages done and close to perfect. The new Alpha is nice...bigger trim equipment, new pump (self bleeding)....

I just hooked up the power and the motor kicked - but waiting till my engine buddy comes over to start it.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

One more pic

BH072.jpg

I got the steering hooked up (Ed the boat repair guy had some wrecks - got a new cable that fits the Alpha 1) in today. Looking very much forward to putting in the interior - but I want to finish the greasework

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Beautiful rig. I just love old boats with new(er) motors! :D

TS

-

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Have you ever givin any thought to leave the sides open for holding rods and a net and things out of the way?? I am restoring a 16 s/s and have considered it . for convenience and less expense. I will of course do all the rest on the rebuild but rods in smaller boat alwaws get in the way.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Have you ever givin any thought to leave the sides open for holding rods and a net and things out of the way?? I am restoring a 16 s/s and have considered it . for convenience and less expense. I will of course do all the rest on the rebuild but rods in smaller boat alwaws get in the way.
\

I am not a 100 percent fisherman...so this is more like a "driving to the dairy queen" boat - so the panels etc...go back in

Lil' Rhody

Seaman

When we last talked - hit huge snag! - Guess what - a 1989 3.0 does not mate to a Gen 1 drive! So onto CL and scored ($1200) a pristine Alpha1 - so what I have now is pretty much a resto-rod. Pulled the Gen 1 drive (anyone need it?) Thankfully the hole for the Alpha is bigger!

Bolt pattern is the same?
Can you clarify what you mean by the "hole is bigger" for me please?
I am going from an "R" drive to an Alpha1 and two of the bolts in the pattern are off but I think the bell housing and gimbal fit but not certain. I posted this question over in the I/O section but didn't get any replies in the last 5 days on the easiest and most practical (yes I really mean least expensive:D) remedy...

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Bolt pattern is the same?
Can you clarify what you mean by the "hole is bigger" for me please?
I am going from an "R" drive to an Alpha1 and two of the bolts in the pattern are off but I think the bell housing and gimbal fit but not certain. I posted this question over in the I/O section but didn't get any replies in the last 5 days on the easiest and most practical (yes I really mean least expensive:D) remedy...

Went from an MC1 to a A1. Everything was wider - sawzall+drill did the trick with no problems. What motor do you have? My primary problem was in 1983 (start of Alpha 1) everything changed - the motors and drives from either side of this line won't mate up. I had an 89 motor and a 68 drive so did not work. A quick check of the motor bolt mount spacing on the motor and the interior drive mount will tell.

Lil' Rhody

Seaman

I think I am mistakenly calling my 66' Sunchief's transom hole as being from an "R" drive when in fact it is from whatever the original drive type is from 1966- my bad I know better but keep refering to it as that....
I am also having trouble ID'ing my newly acquired 3.0l Mercruiser engine year by serial# to determine exactly what I have. My 3.0l and Alpha1 drive came from an late 80's Renken glass boat and obviously mate up nicely together.
Serial# info here:
Serial#Info1.jpg

Serial#Info12.JPG

Serial#Info13.JPG

Serial#Info14.JPG
Bueller? Bueller? Anyone??

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Well - you are doing what i did in one easier step.

You have a 3.0 and and Alpha one right?

Make a template for the new drive with bolt holes and the transom hole size. There will be a rubber seal on the gimbal housing that mates to the outside of the transom - make the hole template as small as possible that reflects the hole between the gimbal housing and the interior drive mount and drill your new holes.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Oh, and when you mount the gimbal housing to the outside put a bead of silicone caulk on that seal. Should work fine.