Starcrafter65's 1968 Holiday Resto Thread with Lot's o PICs!

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer
Ok - Mod's you can yell at me for starting a new thread - but I got enough done now - and the next two months should be exciting as I make the push for Tinstock. I just learned how to post pics - big enuf to see - so here is the last 8 months:

Here is the bought where I bought it - 1968 Holiday.

b027.jpg

It "looked" pretty clean - not made into a fishing rig.

b033.jpg

The original owner got older and gave it to his kid - who turned out to be - well intentioned is his renovations. The floor felt mostly solid - and the topsides and deck were very clean. Plus it was all there.

Bought it for $800.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starcrafter65's 1968 Holiday Resto Thread with Lot's o PICs!

So got it home: The trip home the bearings burned out - had to park it and perform surgery at a rest stop. The seats were crap and I pulled up the carpeting. The previous guy had put down new plywood and fiberglassed the top only......needless to say....the floor was now a goner too.

b031.jpg

That us Mrs Starcrafter looking over the new purchase.

The owner said the motor got "hot" the previous year. He worked at a shop, had the heads reground and the valves done. It was put back together but he had not got it running yet. It turned over and he said the compression was all 135. So I figured I could get it running. HE also told me the bearings were good on the trailer.

th_BH012.jpg

So I wanted to check the compression - got the valves adjusted....

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Got the valves adjusted....checked the compression 90-90-60-30....so the boat came with an anchor disguised as a 120 HP motor.

SO - yankomatic:

Lucked out tremendously on CL - guy 2 miles from my house selling a 1989 Merc motor. He bought a nice boat from a dealer and used the boat for 2 years - noticed it had a small water leak. Turned out the motor had a crack in the water jacket that the dealer didn't tell him about - motor ran great - just dripped. He complained - got a new motor and the old one. Compression - checked for real 150-150-150-150. So $375 for new motor - just have to fix the water jacket leak.

BH019.jpg

BH015.jpg

So - got lucky - hopefully!

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

You guys know the drill - complete gut job, gluvit, sand, etc....

BH026.jpg

One of the things I really contemplated was making an open bow. I ALMOST did it but it would have been a little small - the windshield is about 1 foot too far forward.

BH021.jpg

That is a cardboard cut out of the open bow - just a wee bit to small!

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

So the boat sat all winter in the woods - all stripped down - got it out about a month ago. Flipped it over in the garage with a chainfall and friends.

th_BH043.jpg

Media blasting - $750 - so I went with the stripper - which actually turned out alot easier than I thought.

th_BH050.jpg

Just let the stuff do its work - I put the goo on and rubbed with a wire brush, cleaned and repeated.

I had visions of not painting it at all:

But I screwed up - I used some mechanical sanders that marked up the aluminum - didn't need to use it. If you want the mirror finish just strip it and hit it with steel wool!

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

So - gave up on the "mirror" look - it would have been cool - but my efforts led to one well prepped boat. I used acid etch primer and sprayed with off white Interlux Brightsides. As my buddy once said - you can spray a piece of junk white - and it will look good. The bottom had seen its share of bruises - but the sidewalls were clean of abuse.

Mirror would have been cool - I would encourage someone to try it - just don't sand! Strip and polish!

IMG_0052.jpg

Primed:

IMG_0056.jpg

Painted - used two coats - my first spray job - it looks great and the spraying was easy - again - scare up a compressor and a gun and you can do it yourself - it is easier than roll and tip or whatever they call that.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

So 2 Coats -

Painted:

IMG_0060.jpg

Got some friends flipped it back onto trailer today:

BH052.jpg

[Filled bottom with water and found 3 leakers - look underneath....will fix those.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Now some funner stuff - though about buying seats - but wanted wider longer ones. I built the frames and had them upholstered by an Amish guy south of here. HEre is a progess and done photo:

Half:
BH023.jpg

Done - pretty cool huh...?

BH029.jpg

The wood piece on the top is from the original dash - trying to keep some of the old "soul" of the boat! Plus you can sit on the tops then.

North Beach

Commander

Well that was worth waiting for. Clark, the bottom looks very clean and the seats are amazing!!!

Keep them pics coming!

I'm adding this to the restore thread.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Well that was worth waiting for. Clark, the bottom looks very clean and the seats are amazing!!!

Keep them pics coming!

I'm adding this to the restore thread.

NB - Hook me with two of those emblems!

Much more to come in terms of pictures - tomorrow...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looking great!

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Awesome job on the seats{as well as the rest ;)}

motorpsykler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Everything looks great so far, love the candycane seats! What type of paint stripper did you use?

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Everything looks great so far, love the candycane seats! What type of paint stripper did you use?

I used Jasco premium (Lowes) - but I also used some yellow can stuff. They both worked the same - paint it on - leave it for twenty minutes then I hit it with a stiff wire brush. Then wash and repeat - I needed about 4 cans for the bottom - so much less than the media blast quote. Needed probably 3-4 hits to get everything. What I found worked best was the stiff wire brush step. If I had done the whole hull that way - I would have had a non-marked up finish - but I could not resist the temptation of the orbital sander.

But the attempt to get to a polished finish produced a well prepped hull for painting.

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

i started to use the same stuff from lowes so trip the paint. the jasco in a copper colored can. the works great on the hull but not so great on the topside/splashwell area... that paint is TOUGH. the jasco actually kinda fizzed a little when applied to the hull and it does not take long to work either. wire brush it off before it starts to dry.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Ok - Here are some pics of the paint scheme - looks pretty cool. The cooler temps have been hindering me - when I did the hull it was 70's even 80's and the paint hardened up. Now it has been 50's during the day but cool at night - so the paint is slow to cure - hopefully done with the paint this week.

BH060.jpg

BH061.jpg

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Never really got a chance to show the first boat I did - 1966 Nassau - went like all get out with the 800 Merc

CameraPictures007.jpg

CameraPictures008.jpg

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

I loved the white "Starcraft" rubber step pads on the 66 Nassau - anyone know how to get those?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That Nassau is BEAUTIFUL!

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

That Nassau is BEAUTIFUL!

The Nassau was one cool little boat - it was a true survivor - sat in a barn for 25 years. The floor was still solid - and it came out almost perfect. The only thing I did not get right was the wood transom above the splash well.

That boat would pull a slalom skier out of the water better than a Ski Nautique - an would go 40 with that motor (boat only weighed 450 lbs).

But - I got "2 foot envy" and upped to the Holiday - which is really twice as big. Wanted something to be able to take out on Lake Erie.