Starcraft SS160 resto

crkranz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Starcraft SS160 resto

I also ordered some carpet and nautolex yesterday.
Rochford has a great price on nautolex - $16.85/yd if you order 10 yds.
Sportsmans Guide has 16oz carpet for 80$ for a 6'x20'

Went home for lunch and found a surprise on my door step - a 30ft 80# roll of vinyl. 2 days to my door, wasn't expecting that. I unrolled it and checked it against my carpet sample. I like it! Vinyl is going on the top of the gunwales, shelves, inside of bow. Carpet on floor and side panels.

crkranz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What is the best way to get the old yellow vinyl glue off the interior of the hull?

blazin_jason

Seaman Apprentice

Some people here use Goof Off. I found that the paint stripper works better, at least for me.

crkranz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got to admit I'm a little concerned about how to glue the nautolex down after reading about a couple failures. :confused:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Something you need to know about the Nautolex is that it just can't be glued down to a flat surface and left. The edges have to either be wrapped around to the back of the piece or if you can't wrap the piece the edges have to be fastened mechanically. If just glued flat and left the edges will curl up over time and it doesn't matter what kind of adhesive you use, it'll still curl.

This is in the installation instructions that came with your vinyl... or should've come with it.

Last edited:

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

What is the best way to get the old yellow vinyl glue off the interior of the hull?

Hi crkranz. I'm not sure you need to remove the old glue. Typical, such glues and contact cements come with instructions to re-apply glue over any glue that has prematurely dried before you're finished applying the material. The new application reactivates the old. I didn't remove mine, just added contact cement on top of what was there. The original glue is not any thicker than the texture in the Nautolex. Mine appears flat and smooth, without any glue bumps.

In regard to fastening the edges, I used stainless steel staples no more than an inch apart as per Nautolex instructions.
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...Dkj20Nq-oLLUyUw&bvm=bv.54176721,d.aWc&cad=rja
I then tapped all the staples with a hammer to ensure they were really holding. If you have original sidewalls to be re-installed, I think you'll find that adding a strip of metal as some have suggested will cause some issues with the fit. You're not likely to add screws every inch, so I think that well seated staples are superior. The only place where I wasn't able to staple was forward of the sidewalls. This area could use a metal strip on it, but the strip must be curved to fit the hull. If you can manage that, I'd put it on top of a row of staples just for looks. I didn't fasten that area, similar to the way the Starcraft elves originally installed the flooring. That area on mine is a little loose, just like the original, but it doesn't bother me a bit. On my Holiday model, that area's forward of the seats and below the foredeck and isn't easily seen. I didn't use Nautolex 88 as I couldn't find it here in Ontario. I used a contact cement from HD made by Ducan. Ducan | Buying Guides | Home Depot Canada
With most contact cements, you get only one shot at getting it down in the right place, without bubbles. - Grandad

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yeah the best way to deal with the old glue is to glue something new over top of it ;)

I had little issue with Nautolex and the Nautolex adhesive. Others have had good luck with contact cement. I wouldn't mess with anything other than those two options. The majority of my vinyl is mechanically fastened but there's plenty that isn't up in the bow, console panels, and side pockets and I've had zero peeling/curling in 4 years.

crkranz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Between kids birthdays, football, basketball, hunting and cold weather, progress has been slow. The last couple of nights I have managed to get the glue off the sides and get the rivets sealed. Foam and floor is next. Sorry for the bad pictures, they are in my dimly lit garage.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looks good CR. How'd putting the Coat-it down go? Not as many use it as use GluVit.

crkranz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks good CR. How'd putting the Coat-it down go? Not as many use it as use GluVit.

Went down good, the consistency is like thick honey and it flowed out nicely. I barely had enough to finish the job.

crkranz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got the foam installed and 1 piece of flooring riveted in yesterday.

crkranz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There are 2 things I really dislike about this boat. First is the huge space wasting splash well. I?ve got a plan to shorten up the splash well a bit and gain some more space with a new alum bulkhead. The original one needs replacing anyhow.

The second thing is the spartan outdated looking consoles. I?m toying with the idea of fabbing up some fiberglass caps to go over the original alum ones. They would just go over the top and face of them and maybe down the side a couple of inches and then I would wrap the rest in carpet. I?ve never worked with fiberglass, so it would be a learning project that I could tackle over the winter months. Anyone got any ideas or input on this?

Something kinda like this but simpler ..................

29583-1-lg_1.jpg

crkranz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well this resto ran out of gas after I bought another boat from a friend. Anyone want to take over? My wife wants it gone ASAP. Will sell with a good trailer for dirt cheap. Rerivited and seams epoxy sealed, outside is painted, new floor and foam. Make an offer. Located in Sioux Falls, SD and can deliver to Minneapolis area if needed.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Another one bites the dust... :rolleyes:

Looking for an 18'er here.

crkranz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All the hard work is done. Someone just needs to finish. I'll basically give it to someone if they want it.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
All the hard work is done. Someone just needs to finish. I'll basically give it to someone if they want it.

Finish it up over the winter and sell it in the spring to fetch top-dollar $$$$ ! The expensive stuff is behind you :)

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This is very tempting...being in the delivery range and all. What's the saying? Better to ask for forgiveness than permission...lol.

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
crkranz is my new best friend! Great to meet you, and thanks for the new addition to my Starmada fleet!!

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
crkranz is my new best friend! Great to meet you, and thanks for the new addition to my Starmada fleet!!

Congratulations...to both of you guys!!! :clap2:

Did you have to dodge any frying pans MN?? :p

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Another one goes to a good home, keep us updated on your plans.