Starcraft SS160 resto

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Starcraft SS160 resto

Dipping the new rivets in 5200 prior to install?

Mineral spirits takes excess 5200 off aluminum prior to cure. Not much takes it off your fingers, hands, arms elbows, ears & eyebrows.

crkranz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dipping the new rivets in 5200 prior to install?

I've thought about coating them with marine-tex or 5200 while installing them, but I think I'm just going to install them dry and gluvit the inside when done - unless someone can convince me otherwise. I'm also starting to have second thoughts about pop rivets vs solid. I tend to over-think things sometimes. Paralysis through analysis.

I have also spent the last week agonizing over carpet vs vinyl flooring and rustoleum vs urethane paint.

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have also spent the last week agonizing over carpet vs vinyl flooring and rustoleum vs urethane paint.

I love my vinyl. I don't think you can go wrong with it. That being said, if I was doing another one and was on a tighter budget, I'd seriously consider one of the deck restore products that are no available. I looked at a sample board painted with the new Lowe's Olympic brand restore product and that stuff was TOUGH. I'm almost certainly going to do my house deck with it and wouldn't hesitate to use it on a boat.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not trying to sway you either way, but I LOVE the Nautolex vinyl in my boat. It's tough, non-slip, easy to clean, and adds an extra layer of protection to your wood. The only negative I've come up with so far is that the color I chose, storm gray, shows dirt pretty readily, but it's easy to clean. I've spilled 2 stroke oil, grease, mud, etc, and it all comes out with soap and water.

As with most materials, other than gel coat on glass, it does need to be covered when not in use to protect it from the weather.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I really like the Behr DeckOver, pretty awesome stuff. I tend to think that vinyl would be better in a boat but it comes at a cost too. Carpet is the ultimate for comfort but so easy to stain, hold water, worm guts, dirt...

I am a Rustoleum Pro guy all the way. In short, my feeling is the rest of the professional grade stuff should be left to the professionals.

barato2

Commander

one thing about urethane paints is that they are chock full of polyisocyanates, which a respirator won't protect you from (invariably says so on the respi data sheet). you'll need either pumped in air supply or to work outdoors well away from living critters to be safe from brain and liver damage. i think this is what Jas is alluding to....you need pro safety gear to work safely with pro materials.

i painted my VW bus with urethane and it looks great, but for boats, i'm with Jas, plain enamel.

remember that it's cheap and easy to cover the floor in what you want and then cut a carpet remnant to drop in for when you want carpet.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

i think this is what Jas is alluding to....you need pro safety gear to work safely with pro materials.

Well, that plus....

I don't have professional painter sillz, so justifying professional paint pricing just wont work for me.

Then, on top of that, when the kiddos smash their bike up against the boat and scratch it up, I won't feel so bad. And, I can grab the Rusto at my local hardware store super easy for the touch up if I want to go that route.

I suppose I call it like I see it. I'm a backyard boat builder so I ought to behave like one eh?:thumb:

barato2

Commander

all good logic. totally aside from cancer etc issues.

crkranz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bit the bullet and ordered paint. Single stage urethane. I have painted with it before and have access to fresh air gear, so I'm not worried about the iso part. Durability and chemical resistance were the deciding factors. Cost was about 90$ for a gallon. It is a standard GM color so I can buy a can of auto spray bomb to touch up if needed later.

I also think I'm going with carpet since this boat will be used more for family and less for fishing. I am thinking that carpet is going to be easier to work with. Sportsmans Guide sells a 6x20ft piece for $90. I'm going to buy a few yards of nautolex to do the gunwale shelves and inside of the bow - like how it was originally. Probably will upholster the side panels with reg. vinyl.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Just get a light color carpet like light gray or beige. I had navy in my last boat and it was a NIGHTMARE to keep clean. One step into the boat from the ground and it looked filthy.

crkranz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rusto with hardener and reducer is $40-50 so it is about twice as much.

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Spending a little more on paint if youre going to keep this boat along time is nothing over the long haul.

crkranz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How many quarts of gluvit do I need to coat the rivet lines on the interior? Also how do I prep the surface, I'm thinking of using a nylox brush on my drill. Any chemical prep? Also, what is the best tool to apply the gluvit.

Last edited:

InMotion

Commander

How many quarts of gluvit do I need to coat the rivet lines on the interior? Also how do I prep the surface, I'm thinking of using a nylox brush on my drill. Any chemical prep? Also, what is the best tool to apply the gluvit.

I use a cheapo paint brush. I used a quart for my 16' and just had enough. Prep the surface... I used a water and vinegar mixture and a large hand toilet scrub brush (not the Admirals... I learned quickly on that!)... got 90% of the junk off.

J.

barato2

Commander

IM, cuz we like you, we won't tell the Admiral that you said the toilet cleaning brush was "hers"....you might get it as a suppository!:eek:

cr, apply with disposabrush. nylox or wire brush will work fine for prep, but be sure to get in along the seam edges, and maybe blow crud out with compressed air before you start to gluvit(is that a verb?). the vinegar is a mild etchant and basically does the same thing chemically that wire brush or nylox does mechanically. stuff sets up fast, i think pot life is 90 min at 70 deg F, so you'll be goin like hell to get it all slung in time....suggest you do it in shade or on cool morning to slow the setup, and have everything ready to rock before you begin to mix it..

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yep. One quart just did my 18'. Start from the back and work your way forward. That way if you run out, it'll probably be up in the bow in parts not typically submerged anyway.

crkranz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is a picture of the what the rivets were doing. The heads would just flake off right at the surface.

Got most of the rivets replaced, but I ran out and have to order some more. :mad:

Got the hull all sanded down and ready for epoxy primer. Not sure if I need self etch on the bare aluminum spots. The epoxy is supposed to be DTM, but I probably will just to make sure.

barato2

Commander

yes, do the self etching. progress is looking good.

blazin_jason

Seaman Apprentice

I have rivets that have done and do the same as yours. That is why I am replacing them all. Only plan to restore once, and hope to get another 30+ years out of it.