jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Starcraft SS 18' I/O restore project

RH, great looking painted hull!

Enjoy Shasta!

shadetree_fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great boat, Nice THOROUGH PAINT PREP, great JOB! Will be watching closely as I'm real interested to hearing/seeing the performance of this boat with the I-6

Rainbow hunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK guys, I apologize for not keeping this up to date lately, but it seems there is more to do every day than I can accomplish. Here's some pics of the boat getting turned over and loaded to the trailer. Trailer has new lights, rollers, bunks, & side guides (not shown). Been working on the surge system off and on for a week now. Mostly running back and forth to the parts house. Very hard to find the correct parts for this older system, but I've finally got them all and will finish the tongue installation this morning. Then it's on to the wheel cylinders and bearings. Then it needs tires and will be ready for the tow to Baja. Probably do that around the Christmas holidays. Right now just trying to button things up so I can leave next week with the motor home and get our place set up in San Felipe for the season. We'll tow the car down and drive it back at Thanksgiving and exchange it for my pickup and tow a Cj5 I just picked up down to Baja. Then we'll drive the PU back at Christmas and get the boat. Lots of highway time in the next couple of months.

ccd6bc12a2413ade45e89e5787ada126.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Looking good RH. Sounds like you're gonna have more drive time than fun time.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That's a great looking SS Rainbow! When you get a chance, post a pic or two of that CJ5.

Rainbow hunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So I've started cutting the 3/4" marine grade plywood for the deck. My plan is to get it all cut and fitted in the next couple of days and if the weather holds get the edges and bottom side spar varnished. The top side I'm planning to cover with some medium grade vinyl that will give me a washable water proof surface. Over that I plan use rubber interlocking floor mat material that is easily removed and washed yet will provide a safe a non-slip surface.

What say you all re my flooring concept?

CJ I'll sneak a pic of the CJ 5 in here as soon as I get a chance to take some.

cj8mule

That sounds like a great plan RH. You are going to seal the topside with spar varnish?

Rainbow hunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That sounds like a great plan RH. You are going to seal the topside with spar varnish?

No spar varnish on top side. The linoleum glue is waterproof and should do a good job of sealing the top side. And the glue will stick better to bare wood than it would to varnish I believe. It's just like doing a kitchen or bathroom floor. Put down a wood underlayment, treat it with a prep material that improves adhesion, then glue down the vinyl and roll it out with a 75 to 100 pound weight to spread the glue.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I might be tempted to test a couple pieces of ply, well spar'd edges & backsides, then apply glue & scrap vinyl to 1 w/out spar on the topside & 1 w/ spar on the topside..... And expose them to the elements for a week or so......

Scuffing the spar should give you plenty of bite w/ the glue.

Rainbow hunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow! It's been a busy week. Got all the floor pieces for the SS cut and fit, but with preparing to leave for Mexico, some family issues and the arrival of a new top for our (new to us) Cj5 Jeep, I didn't get to varnishing the plywood. Now the weather has gone bad and varnish will have to wait for warmer days. The admiral wanted me to get the new top installed and the the weather was warm enough first part of the week. Top got here Monday afternoon and I spent Tuesday and Wednesday putting it on in 75-85 degree weather. Thursday the temps dropped 30 degrees and it would have been impossible to stretch a fabric top in that. Anyway it's done (photos coming later today CJ) and the SS is covered and secured for the winter and will hopefully get to Mexico around the first of the year. Depends on whether my relative/partners in this boat can get it towed down there because my little Ranger isn't big enough to tow it that far. They have a big f250 to tow with. I'll also need to install the engine for that trip, and l'll need some help from them with that. We can tow it to and from the beach with my jeep or theirs, but not long distance or speeds above about 20mph.

So rain or shine (raining this morning) we're off to Mexico tomorrow morning (I hope). I'll be watching projects on the forum and will leave a note here from time to time for those interested. And if I'm really lucky, ill have an Internet connection at my Mexico home in a few weeks which will make it much easier to stay in touch.

For now, thanks for everybody's help, suggestions and interest, and hopefully I'll be active here again around the first of the year.

InMotion

Commander

Save travels RH and have a terrific trip! The boat can wait till better days... love to see pics of the boat and the new jeep!

Take care,

Jim

Rainbow hunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here's the Jeep in the boat yard. Nothing out of the ordinary. It's a 1960 body on a 1971 chassis. It's a Tuxedo Park so it has the V6. Drive train is in excellent shape except I can hear the engine lifters rattling, so ill have to give that some attention one of these days. Interior is comfortable. Needs some nerf bars or something to help me and the admiral get in. Has power steering and drives very nice. As I said above, I installed the top a couple of days ago. Biggest problem--no heater. They removed it to fit it on the V6 chassis.

65e46533772eb14811b3b86d26c5abf2.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I had a 76 CJ 5 with the I6 that looked just like that way back in my single man college days. I lived in the Colorado Rockies and loved it!!!:D

Yours is sweet and I'm jealous!

cj8mule

Nice CJ Rainbow! They make an electric heater that works pretty well for those cold mornings.

Safe travels for you and your family.

jbcurt00

Staff member

From the Admiral & I to you & yours:
thanksgiving-8-07.gif

May you have a great weekend & enjoy the company of friends & family....

John

Rainbow hunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

And the same to you and yours JB.

It's 85 degrees down in Sa Felipe and I'm back up here in Nor Cal getting ready to pull my jeep down there Saturday/Sunday. Been rainy and cool here. It's going down into low 30's tonight. Can't wait to get out of town.