Starcraft SS 18' I/O restore project

Rainbow hunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm a real amature at posting in this type of forum. I just spent a couple of hours preparing a post and then went to another view trying to find out how to resize my photos and lost everything I wrote so I'm starting over. This time I'll keep a copy in word or something.

OK here goes. This is my first post to this Forum, but I've been reading its threads for the past year and half or so. I find it to be one of the most active, usefull, informative Forum sites I've ever visited. I hope I can make a worthy contribution.

In the past few months I've come into possession of two Starcraft hulls, both of which need total restorations. I'm going to tackle the big one first, which may seem to be a backward approach, but I'll explain as I go along here.

First a few words of background so you know where I'm coming from. The wife and I are retired and we spend about half of the year (winter) in San Felipe, Mexico, located at the northern tip of the Gulf of California (otherwise known as the Sea of Cortez), where I do a lot of fishing and golfing. The other half of the year we spend in Northern California where all our family is otherwise located. During the summer months I spend a lot of time fishing in the Sierras and golfing and lately rebuilding "tinnies" as some of you call them.

I came into this Starcraft SS 18 by way of family connections. The parents of our daughter and son-in-law also own a place close to us in Mexico and we do many things together. We know them very well and are pretty close. It so happens that about 10 or so years ago they gave their Starcraft 18 to a daughter and her hubbie while they took a sail boat and cruised the Mexican west cost for several years. Eventually the boat suffered from some mechanical and electrical issues (more on them later) and it wound up parked in the back yard and left to suffer the ravages of the elements for about seven years. Unfortunately, this son-in-law suffered from some health issues and he passed away last summer. His wife decided to sell their home and move and she was going to junk out this Starcraft in an effort to clean up the property. Her parents discovered this and said no way, that's still our boat (they still possess the title). They called on me for an opinion as to wheather the boat was salvageable and suggested we could turn it into a boat we to use down in San Felipe where we have to hire a boat and guide everytime we want to do a little off shore fishing.

I looked the boat over knowing full well I would become the chief project engineer and primary worker if I told them to salvage the boat. The hull is in excellant condition; that is it has no dings or dents, hardware wise everything is there and useable with some minor exceptions, the boat is 97% complete. It has a shallow water launching trailer specially set up for a handicapped person who was the original owner. Don't ask me how this handicapped person managed the boat otherwise; I can't imagine how. Never-the-less, the trailer is nice complement to the whole rig.

On the negative side, I knew the 4 cylinder 140 hp chevy/MerCruiser would be siezed. The out drive and its controls were complete and seemed to be sealed up so that a reconditioning would make it useable, but it will have to come off. The interior and floor, of course, is a total loss and will all have to be replaced. The transom appears to be fine but will need sealing. We'll see after the engine and out drive are removed. My assessment: for around three grand and a lot of work on my part, this would make a great fishing boat, not-withstanding the issues of aluminum in salt water.

This will be a crash project; some of you may think I'm nuts to think I can get this done between now and the end of September when it will be time to make preparations to head back to San Felipe. But remember, I can devote a great deal of time to this effort though it will probably cut into my fishing and golf. Below I'll insert some photos if I can figure out how to get them big enough, that show what the boat looked like when I drug it to my storage yard and what it looks like after getting everything stripped out or and off the hull. I hope to get it to the wash rack today and pressure wash it inside and out and maybe have pics of that by days end.

I have a lot mechanical and fabrication experience, and a fair amount of small craft experience, so it's not as if I head into this unawares. I have built a number of hot rods and restored a couple of Mustangs and a Ranchero in days gone by. Professionally I was a PR flack and journalist and I also ran a small ranch with hugh barn/shop until I retired. I also have considerable computer prowess and am a fast learner, BUT I find I am a total amature when it comes to these forums as this is the first time I've ever participated in one, though I've used many for info. So don't hesitate to tell me what I'm doing wrong or tell me what you think. I'll appreciate it all.

So, after my long winded intro, and a great many thanks to guys like ezmobee and lakelover and several others I have read here, following are some photos of the start of this project. Wish me luck, ok.
DSCN3176.jpg

Here she is. The Ezup frame is there so I can have some shade from the sun while working. It?s gonna be a long hot summmer. Also, this is a common storage yard in the mobile home park in which we now live.

DSCN3177.jpg

The other side.

DSCN3178.jpg

Some of the old upholstry. This stuff is all rotten including the wood.

DSCN3181.jpg

This rats nest was created by some shade tree mechanic who decided the power cable that runs from the front of the boat to the engine compartment was no good, so he completely rewired the boat, leaving it with lots of electrical issues. Fortunately he left the original cable in place. After I removed the original cable from the boat I tested it with an ohm meter and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it and it?s in excellent shape. Lots of money saved there.

DSCN3179.jpg

Looking forward from the engine area after removal of the seats.

DSCN3184.jpg

This dash is completely rotted out, but the instruments are relatively new and in decent shape.

OK, I put to many images in this post and had to delete the next two. However, I'll post again later this evening with pics of the fore deck area and the trailer launching system along with pics of the inside of the hull before and after washing which will be done today.

dozerII

Admiral
Re: Starcraft SS 18' I/O restore project

Great story RH, and welcome to the Starmada. First off that is a great boat, I have the same one 1972 18SS as seen in my signiture. It is awsome on the lake and can handle some big water. Mine has a Mercruiser 120 and just sips gas. With a 21P prop will run about 31mph at 4200 rpm, but I like to cruise at 3100 and 24mph. If you find your outdrive needs a lot of work, check out the SEI replacements as it will cost you less to replace than fix, and they have an unconditional 3 year waranty.
Glen

InMotion

Commander

Rh - sounds like you got yourself a great intro project! No doubt challenges will arise... but will a little persistence you'll end up with a great looking and great fishing rig.

Enjoy the journey... and good job on your first post. You got it spot on!

Jim

barato2

Commander

and you don't really even need to strip the hull....just do the San Felipe pangero style launch (drag it the 1/2 mile to the water at low tide by dragging across sand with a truck.....i hear they don't worry about barnacles much!)

welcome. you'll find the boat a piece o cake compared to what you've done in the past.

TheWrks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to the Starmada RH I sure your will have your new Tinny ship shape in no time at all, there is a wealth of knowledge here on Iboat. With tons of people willing to help out were they can.

Welcome again..... :D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Welcome to the insanity. You bounce back and forth to and from 2 of my favorite places in the world.
You have your work cut out for you for sure, but I have every confidence that with what you can learn here and your own 2 hands, she'll be a great project.
The SEI outdrive was a good idea, get yours checked out, but if it needs any of the upper or lower gears repaired, the new one is the best option.
You will need that shade and then some, I have worked on my boat in 100 degree heat and fried myself coming into contact with the hull..lol
When I get my laptop open, i will post a link for the OEM manual for your motor.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Howdy and welcome to team Starcraft RH! You are in great company with that SS:)

UncleSpidey

Seaman

Pictures of that era SS always brings back great memories. We had a '76 18' with the 140 I/O when I was a kid. Man, what a great boat! Thanks for sharing, and keep the pics / updates coming. A little work, and it's gonna' shine like a champ.

Rainbow hunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks to all you guys who responded to my first post yesterday. I will appreciate the help.

I thought I was going to get these photos up last night, but I just ran out of gas. Anyway here are a couple more pics I couldn't get into the first post as well as before and after shots of yesterdays pressure wash.

DSCN3186.jpg

This the what the fore deck looked like. I plan to have a raised deck in this area the same height as the old seats were. It will give me room for a live well and maybe a built in ice chest, as well as anchor storage below deck. I'll probably put one fishing seat on top.

DSCN3188.jpg

This is a pic of the trailer set up that slides. The winch assembly and boat will slide to the rear on the rails. We'll see how this works later. My shirt tail relatives say they never bothered to use it, but it may come in handy for beach launches in shallow water in San Felipe. I nopted that barato2 is familiar with launching pangas in San Felipe where we drag the boat accross the sand with a pickup into a foot or so of water where they fire up and head out. That's what I call a shallow water launch.

photo.jpg

The stripped hull except for engine and out drive has been vacumed out. I got seven gallons of crap in my eight gallon shop vac to get to this point. The engine and out drive are coming off also, but I was waiting for the shop manual I ordered before I removed them. I'm like that. I do everything by the book first and once I'm completely familiar with a system I might modify the method. I don't take things apart whithout consulting the book first when one is available. Doesn't mean I'm afraid to tackle something without a book; just means I like to do it by the book when one is available. Mine did arrive late yesterday, so the engine will be coming out soon.

photo2.jpg

And boy doesn't this look nice. Got to get the misc floor rivets out yet and then its time for engine removal and Gluevit. I'm golfing today, so won't get much done as far as the boat is concerned. Gotta locate and order the gluevit too.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That hull looks clean, nice!!

Rainbow hunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This hull is water tight as is, but I'm going to seal it up anyway. I just think it's a good idea and you can't do it later.
PS: if anybody has hints about using this forum with an iPad, I'm all ears, especially as it might relate to inserting photos. Using photobucket doesn't seem to work well. Just entering text as I'm doing now works fine, but pics are a problem and I'd really like to do most of this from the iPad.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the Tin Dry Dock, Rainbow hunter. You have a nice clean SS hull there. The Gluvit is a good idea. She might not be leaking now so a little prevention can't hurt.

I was wondering about the trailer in the fist pic post, glad you followed up with the second batch along with the sliding explanation. That's a new one to me, wonder how well it works?

On post pics via iPad - post up in one of the non-boating sections. All kinds of computer questions and answers there. Again welcome and have fun.

Rainbow hunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Been busy for the past few days, but have made some progress. I did get the engine un-seized between removing the interior and floor, but it wouldn't hold compression. So yesterday I pulled the head off and found both good and bad things. Apparently this thing stayed out in wet weather without any cover on the carb, (though it came to me with a standard flame arrestor installed) because there was a lot of very wet mud and gunk in the intake ports, water in the cylinders, etc. The head will have to be disassembled, hot tanked and a valve job done. Good time to get hardened unleaded gas seats installed. Exhaust ports were clean and looked normal.

The water I drained out of the block was clean and rust free and what I can see of the water jacket is very clean; quite surprising considering the age of the engine. One cylinder wall will need a light hone. The head gasket showed no signs of problems and a straight edge on the head indicated it is flat. Im sure there will be water at the bottom of the oil pan. The dipstick registers that the sump is overfull. I'll drain it when I pull the engine out later is week. Because it is easy to do I'll remove the lifters and bleed them down to get rid of any water in them, then I'll put them in a clean oil bath and pump them up manually before reinstalling. I'll also pull the oil pan to dry out the bottom end and blow some air through, the oil passages to get rid of any water. Then after reinstalling the pan and putting oil in, I'll stick a hex shaft down the distributor hole and spin the oil pump,with a drill motor to get oil back in all the passages. Once that's done I think I'll be able to put the reconditioned head back on and make it ready to fire up when I get the stern drive/exhaust systems re installed.

Ill take some engine and stern drive picture tomorrow. Unfortunately I forgot a camera when I went to the yard to remove the head. The crap that was inside the intake ports was both colorful and amazing.

RH

FishNmemories

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome aboard RH, your making good progress so far. DozerII is right these SS are great fun and pretty good seaboats too. Mine is a little smaller at 16', but we are having some awesome adventures with ours. I believe you can order the glue-vit from iboats

Rusty

Rainbow hunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK I need some helpful guidance here. News from the machine shop was not good. After tanking and magnaflux they found a crack in the casting. Soooo, I'm looking for another head. Is there a forum for parts location? Any place in particular I should look. I haven't begun to search yet. I would certainly consider new. Maybe even a full engine rebuild if the price was right.

Another question I have has to do with foam under the floor boards. Has any one used regular construction grade foam with the backing sheet on it? Seems to me it would hold up a lot better, though it will take some effort to cut and fit properly. The stuff I took out this hull is really cheap junk and sure wouldn't provide much flotation. I've been through several of the rebuild threads and haven't seen anyone try this. Any ideas will be appreciated.

RH​

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Pink/Blue foam board? Oh yah, lots of us use that stuff, highly recommended:)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

This hull is water tight as is, but I'm going to seal it up anyway. I just think it's a good idea and you can't do it later.
PS: if anybody has hints about using this forum with an iPad, I'm all ears, especially as it might relate to inserting photos. Using photobucket doesn't seem to work well. Just entering text as I'm doing now works fine, but pics are a problem and I'd really like to do most of this from the iPad.

On my new pad, the best way I have found is basically the same as the laptop. Have a photobucket account upload to the bucket.
Have iboats open in one tab in safari (web browser) and open a new tab and go to photobucket.Select the pic you want to insert, copy the image code
go back to your iboats post and simply paste the url of the img code into your text.

barato2

Commander

and to cut the foam easily, heat an expendable old knife with torch, then cut along straightedge.

i hear ya on the beauties of internal engine crud....one of my cylinders looked like a pot of menudo cooking!:eek:

Mr Broken Record will repeat his mantra yet again, sorry: DO-NOR! DO-NOR! Do-NOR! i doubt the rest of drivetrain saw any more love than the engine did......

just by way of thinking out of the box, might also be worth considering whether this would be a good time to go to an OB on a pod instead of an I/O. OBs are easier to flush and more designed for salt water than cast iron block n head motors, it will effectively give you another 3' of boat inside and better ride in short-frequency Sea of Cortez chop, and i definitely think an OB would be easier to deal with in those San Felipe shallow water launches. and if you get a Yamaha, you can find much of what you need partswise in MExico. just a thought. i tend to think a pod-mounted OB on a high-transom formerly-I/O hull is the best combo for offshore use where you may have big following seas....if i could do things over again on my Starchief, this is probably what i would have done. downside to this plan is fuel consumption unless you can drop the big bux for modern OB.

Rainbow hunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks barato2. I'll give the OB idea some thought and a bit of research, but it's probably outside my practical budget limits. I figure I'd n?e something on the order of 90 hp at minimum, 120 preferred, and those don't come cheap.

photo2.jpg

And boy doesn't this look nice. Got to get the misc floor rivets out yet and then its time for engine removal and Gluevit. I'm golfing today, so won't get much done as far as the boat is concerned. Gotta locate and order the gluevit too.

What did you use to clean the aluminum? Any chemicals?