fuel issues--probably simple

activa

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, I've got the VW bug of boats--an '89 Capri with the 85HP Force. A week ago it died after a few minutes at WOT. I replaced the filter and it seemed to be fine--spent last Sunday skiiing, etc.

Today, the boat died shortly after starting. The bulb won't refill when pumped, stays flat. I get a whoosh when I unscrew the filter, so there's suction. So either the filter is clogged (unlikely after just a couple hours' use), or the pickup in the tank is clogged.

Is this related to ethanol in the gas? Could it be anything else? How can I fix it? Can I blow compressed air down the pickup tube and then pump out the old gas?

forceboy

Seaman Apprentice
Re: fuel issues--probably simple

Activa, does the bulb open back up when you unscrew filter? Sounds like a venting issue if bulb is staying flat?

sho3boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Right, could be tank vent, tank pickup, hose/bulb (the bulb valves can die), could even be the connector ends on the bulb hose. If that hose is old see how much a new one is, then you eliminate that whole deal from the 'problem bin'. Most tanks you can remove that pickup and clean it, flush the tank if it has something in it...assuming since my capri only has a 6gal removable. I got 43gps out of it though, wondering what others get lol:) But it is an '83.

I like to take a fitting or carb bowl plug out on the motor. Catch the fuel somehow, then you should be able to pump a lot of fuel out with the bulb. That way you know the tank/pickup/hose/bulb/connectors all flow good fuel.

activa

Seaman Apprentice

Activa, does the bulb open back up when you unscrew filter? Sounds like a venting issue if bulb is staying flat?

No, bulb expands when filter is unscrewed. So it's clearly between the bulb and the vent. Vent is clear (it's an internal tank). Obviously, I'll next replace the lines and the bulb (can't be TOO expensive, and sure beats trying to work in the bilge to get into the tank). Thankfully the tank is aluminum, so I'm guessing there's no issue with the ethanol damaging the tank, just washing all the sludge from the inside, right?

pradesj

Recruit

I had the same issue and it turned out to be a plugged pickup screen inside of the tank. I could blow into the tank (particals would partically dislodge momentarily then plug again) but suction was a different story. Check the pickup screen inside the tank.

activa

Seaman Apprentice

I had the same issue and it turned out to be a plugged pickup screen inside of the tank. I could blow into the tank (particals would partically dislodge momentarily then plug again) but suction was a different story. Check the pickup screen inside the tank.

Ahh.... that's what I first suspected. What's the solution? And how do I work on the tank (it's in a bilge surrounded by the hull, and only a 2" dia opening where the gage sensor is attached).

john from md

Commander

You won't like my suggestion but, if you don't carry alot of people and mostly use the boat for skiing etc, just use an external tank. Cleaning a Bayliner tank is impossible without disassembling the boat. You can play with it all you want through the fuel sending unit hole or fuel line feed but you will never get all the gunk out.

Save the time, buy a plastic tank and enjoy the boat.

John

activa

Seaman Apprentice

You won't like my suggestion but, if you don't carry alot of people and mostly use the boat for skiing etc, just use an external tank. Cleaning a Bayliner tank is impossible without disassembling the boat. You can play with it all you want through the fuel sending unit hole or fuel line feed but you will never get all the gunk out.

Save the time, buy a plastic tank and enjoy the boat.

John

oh, $#!†, I was afraid you would say that. I had a similar problem with an old Mercedes diesel I bought. My dad ran the tank dry, and so all the gunk dried and flaked off. Ever after, a fuel filter only lasted me about 20 miles. Thankfully, they were the cheap inline plastic ones. I finally pumped out the tank and refilled a couple times, filtering it as it pumped out, all the while shaking the car by jumping on the bumper. I must have filtered out three tablespoons of crap. But it's still producing the gunk (though not as quickly as before).

But there must be SOME highly toxic compound I can put in there to dissolve this stuff!

john from md

Commander

There is no easy solution to the problem and you are dealing with gasoline. Fuel + Air + ignition source = quick trip to eternity. :eek:

John

foodfisher

Captain

It's uncomfortable but you've got to verify that there is indeed some kind of stuff in the tank blocking the pickup tube. The tube in mine, '86, had no screen, just a tube with a v notch at the bottom. The internal condition after 25+yrs. was clean so I doubt any stuff floating in yours. The barbed elbow had lots of corrosion and the clamp also. Start there and good luck. Double check the vent and hose. Mud daubbers. kinked hose etc. To pull the tank means new deck. My tank was leaking so I had to pull it. Curiosity made me take apart the old tank just to see. Again, I'd pull the pickup tube before removing the tank for cleaning. Edit: The gage sending unit has big opening to peer into.

Last edited:

sho3boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You could clean it out some, then get a huge filter and try that. I wish mine had a tank, but maybe not. I can watch that 6gal tank go down with the 85hp.