Starcraft on C-list/ebay!

Gibbles

Commander
Re: Starcraft on C-list/ebay!

Honestly, I'm not sure its a Starcraft.
Thinking it may be a late 60's Mirrocraft.
THe entire transom looks suspect.

The motors and trailer have me interested.

Boar is currently registered, so there should be paperwork, but may not be accurate.
I asked the seller 4 questions.
Got zero answers, just the photos.

Motors look to be late 70's

That 70hp does not have one of the anoying $$ distributors that I have to deal with. ;) (may look like it, but they are electronic)
I have the 9.5hp of that kicker, great motor & quiet!

Boat it self looks rough, the transom appears to have a board on the outside prob due to rot

so I bet extra holes...

I also see holes made through the side of the boat, prob to mount controls... weird!

FishNmemories

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well here is an interesting tale...this seller has a Starcraft posted on cl that has been spit and polished up abit. This seller had a 16 ft Lund with a 80s 40 hp Merc, that we almost bought last year. It was listed at $3200 and I talked him down to $2800, if it passed a trial run in the water just down the road. We tried to launch the lund but it was too heavy to get off the trailer as it was low tide and we could not float the boat off the trailer.

The seller had a short fuse and began to snap at me and said, "that he had better things to do" and I agreed with him!! I left without the lund and subsequently we bought our 16 ft Starcraft SS for $2300 late last year, which is by far a better sea boat, has more room, and the 96 60 hp Yammie is in new condition.

Anyways here is the link to the starcraft that he is selling now

http://comoxvalley.en.craigslist.ca/boa/3020953355.html

sutor623

Rear Admiral

we bought our 16 ft Starcraft SS for $2300 late last year, which is by far a better sea boat, has more room, and the 96 60 hp Yammie is in new condition.

Sea worthy? Just wondering how you feel about that. I have a 16' FM (same boat, different layout) and I think Id be afraid to take the beating that the sea would have to offer for me.

64osby

Admiral

One question though, I though Mariners were 21' or within inches of 21' but this says 19'6"?

Two questions actually, it looks to be in good shape but original. What is your opinion as to the price he is asking? Sounds somewhat flexible, I'm sure if the floor or transom is soft its more flex room for me to negotiate... :D

He has a dimension wrong somewhere. I think it's a 21', should be 20' 8". 18's rated at 125hp, 21's at 140hp. Bilge pump and console glass were standard on the 21's. Flip back seat and bimini top are a bonus. The trailer looks weak. Floor color looks funky?

It's a 7 hour drive for you. If the floor and transom are good I would think $1,700 to $2000 at very most. Although the motor looks awesome.

FishNmemories

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sea worthy? Just wondering how you feel about that. I have a 16' FM (same boat, different layout) and I think Id be afraid to take the beating that the sea would have to offer for me.

Howdy sutor623,
Our SS has already been out in the local waters in some adverse weather conditions and yup she is seaworthy. You can check out my thread for some pics and descriptions of our adventures. Definitely plan our time on the water given the weather forecast, but locally there are lots of smaller boats that go to sea to fish in the Georgia Straight, Johnstone Straights, and Straight of Juan de Fuca.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well here is an interesting tale...this seller has a Starcraft posted on cl that has been spit and polished up abit. This seller had a 16 ft Lund with a 80s 40 hp Merc, that we almost bought last year. It was listed at $3200 and I talked him down to $2800, if it passed a trial run in the water just down the road. We tried to launch the lund but it was too heavy to get off the trailer as it was low tide and we could not float the boat off the trailer.

The seller had a short fuse and began to snap at me and said, "that he had better things to do" and I agreed with him!! I left without the lund and subsequently we bought our 16 ft Starcraft SS for $2300 late last year, which is by far a better sea boat, has more room, and the 96 60 hp Yammie is in new condition.

Interesting way to sell a boat, that's for sure. Something else interesting in the ad = "New HDPE inch and a half thick plastic transom, just installed". That's unconventional, to say the least. He also said "Brand, new floor". I wonder what it is, PT maybe. Look at the motor rigging. I think I see a steel angle frame that loops over the transom and raises the motor to handle an extra long shaft. I think this boat is what could be called a mess.

64osby

Admiral

I did a plastic transom on a 12' tinny that worked good, but were talking a 10hp max motor. Plastic has a lot of flex potential.

That's quite a set up for o long shaft on a 15" transom. If you had the right motor to put on it it might not be bad, if the price was right $3,800 seems pretty steep..

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Howdy sutor623,
Our SS has already been out in the local waters in some adverse weather conditions and yup she is seaworthy. You can check out my thread for some pics and descriptions of our adventures. Definitely plan our time on the water given the weather forecast, but locally there are lots of smaller boats that go to sea to fish in the Georgia Straight, Johnstone Straights, and Straight of Juan de Fuca.

Cool man, glad to hear that. I have had mine in the Potomac on rough days. Definately not a trip to take the wife on, for sun and fun. But I do not mind beating the hell out of my boat nor my buddies for a great fishing trip!

FishNmemories

Petty Officer 1st Class

Interesting way to sell a boat, that's for sure. Something else interesting in the ad = "New HDPE inch and a half thick plastic transom, just installed". That's unconventional, to say the least. He also said "Brand, new floor". I wonder what it is, PT maybe. Look at the motor rigging. I think I see a steel angle frame that loops over the transom and raises the motor to handle an extra long shaft. I think this boat is what could be called a mess.

Yeah I saw the transom replacement part too. I think that idea was discussed here on the forums, but I wasn't sure if anyone has tried it with a larger outboard yet.

64osby,
the starcrafts are definitely more expensive up here in Canada, but it is surprising how many are around. We went for a drive last weekend and there were 4 we found in our travels.

64osby

Admiral

5I85Eb5F83E33G73Lfc5v181bbecc7f9c11c3.jpg

$600 w/ trailer no motor

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/3049194570.html

64osby

Admiral

5Ne5K65Hd3E93K43I1c5u30a9d8362a2a1cf1.jpg

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/3047792953.html

[h=2]18ft Starcraft - $1700 (Rockwood)[/h]I have a very nice older boat turn key ready.Ready to fish!! This is a 1972 starcraft 18ft with 100hp Evinrude Everything works some updates have done. Floor& transom are solid Was in heated storage for 25years $1700.00

Very clean and a good price

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

72 starcraft great boat - $1300 (hsv)
great boat runs great has a 4cly motor merc cruiser foot I use this boat every weekend the only reason the boats for sale because 2 brothers bought it together now one is mad now its time to sale ill take u out on the boat im at the river all the time teluca beach in well pull tubes and ski have the tube that go to its a great boat hate to sale but that's what happens when you split it in half and half have two foot that are good boat has full tank of gas has alot if new parts and have alot of spare parts that go to call me

64osby

Admiral

Wow! 64 do I have a free place to stay in the detroit area when I come to pick up my new 22'er? :p

You'd add an extra 4-5 hours drive time if you came to my house. Just put up the bimini and sleep on the boat:rolleyes: