Starcraft I own, but haven't picked up.........

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: Top secret metal boat files are all hidden!

Yaaaaaaaa whoooooooo!!!!:D

Yup, way easier if you can just haul it over to the land fill and push it off the trailer;)

jbcurt00

Staff member

Many must be sacrificed so that 1 may thrive:rolleyes:. Free landfill day Sat, 1 'load' per household. So another shall carry the remains of the other, 2 for 1.;)

Plus some old tires from my neighbor......

Again, not satisfying, nor any fun, as advertised in the Starmada supplemental membership packet I was given after sipping the beverage so generously supplied during the pledge drive:confused:

Back to our slow, ad nauseam, program...........

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

I'm confused... Did you have an epic fail on the lobowtomy? And are you now ditching the Jet?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Starcraft I own, but haven't picked up.........

it is the 1st of 2 that gotta go. it was a package deal, 2junk boats &a great trailer. all or nothing. so 1 got cut &tossed in the other.

neither are the Jet or the FireFlite. they both have 'good' tilt Gator trailers so this trailer is for.......

a jas like rapid change up

FishNmemories

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like you've had your hands full on this project so far, JB. But you're makin' progress nonetheless...good for you to stay with it

jbcurt00

Staff member

Ok, a couple of housekeeping items:
  • I took 2 glassers to the dump on Sat @6am. 1 cut up & tossed into the other. My weigh ticket was for 4700lbs:eek:. That's the difference between my going in & coming out weights. I looked up the original specs for both boats here on the iBoats spec pages, combined their dry weight was 2000lbs. I had the trailer weighed Fri for it's registration/title, 500lbs. So, ignoring that I took everything possible off prior to the dump run, and there were no interiors, no seats, nothing but carpet, glass, foam & plywood. Oh, & 2200 lbs of water trapped in 2 boats worth of expanding foam.... 1 was cut up, so it didn't have an water just sitting in it, the other didn't drain any out of the bilge when I tipped it up to reload it on a trailer Fri pm. That's 250gals of trapped water, 125gals per boat.:eek: I don't really want to debate pour in foam, it's benefits, or drawbacks. But it certainly brought home the care that must be taken w/ maintenance, and protection of a boats interior from the weather. No matter the foam you use. Esp during the winter. And how difficult it is get the water out of the foam once it's compromised. JUST AN OBSERVATION, seriously, I do not want to debate the foam/noodle/HD insulation sheets.
  • The WV registration for the Jet came on Sat:)

jbcurt00

Staff member

Now for the rest of the 'stuff' going on around these parts:

• I need to get the 40 Johnny on the Jet fired up this coming week. If I don't get it wet by the end of the month, I won't. A generous offer for it, as it is, has been made & tentatively accepted, all pending the motor firing. My boss wants to go all out on a small aluminum runabout for his family to fish, hunt, play & sun in. I learned a ton, am getting more then I have in it, and I will get to get it wet, once again. And I know that it will see a bunch of use 3+ seasons a year.

So, that means the remaining boat acquired this past spring can be brought to the house.:) North Beach is generously sending me some scanned info about 1963 SC Jupiters.

• It does not have bedliner anywhere:D
  • It already has a bare aluminum interior
  • There is a great galv tilt trailer waiting for it
  • I have at least 1 motor that will be right at home on a 16' tinny
  • The Admiral really likes that the count is now down 2 boats as of today & pending a 3rd in a few weeks. Garnering favor w/ the Admiral is always a step in the right direction;)

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

JB... Are you and Jas brothers separated at birth?
Just kidding... Sounds like a nice deal. One of those everybody is happy kind of deals.. So how long before this new one comes to the house??

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'll take that as a compliment, I'm not sure if Jas will at this point, but maybe........

Yeah, definitely not. He's got early riser genes my family tree has never even heard of:D

Gotta get this motor to fire, do a cheating 1/2 done splash, and then the Jupiter needs a quick trailer swap & I'll bring her home.

The good news it's only 15min from the house. No long drawn out hassle to get it here w/ work changing my schedule around. Not that that has occured in the past.

I took a half hour Fri during lunch to walk around her & put my grubby mitts all over her.:) Got 2 item's I'll need help w/ but that'll wait til that thread gets started:facepalm:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Jeez, JC...you have been one busy beaver...

Nightmares about being covered and suffocating in layers upon layers of paint stripper soaked BAD-liner goop will soon pass...

The seats look great along with all the hardware...will be looking for reports within the next couple of years as to their tolerance for use...

What are you using to prep the trailer for paint? Ever tried Ospho? After scraping/sanding/cleaning...and before priming?

While I will never condone the destruction of a restore-able glasser, the prudent dismantling for useful second life-giving, re-purposing use of parts, from a no longer salvageable glasser, and the direct consequence of gently and respectfully cutting it up into little itty bitty pieces with high powered tools of mass destruction, to be returned to the Earth from whence it came...

Hey its all good...:rolleyes:...Enjoy the Dark Side...;)...Just take a few long pulls on the koolaid and it will all fade into the distant past...

And keep up the great progress...

jbcurt00

Staff member

The trailer will be on the back burner for paint & prep, but a side benefit of the 2-part epoxy based paint system we use at work, is my galv trailer may see some resto work at some point as training for our crew.:)

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The trailer will be on the back burner for paint & prep, but a side benefit of the 2-part epoxy based paint system we use at work, is my galv trailer may see some resto work at some point as training for our crew.:)

That sounds like the right way to delegate.

I feel better now. All your activity is making my head swim.

Sea ya...

barato2

Commander

you be rockin. i love the Tom Sawyer plan on trailer paint too.

a restore-able glasser
they're all restorable, if anyone cared to bother. problem is that most need so much ugly work and $ that no one does. oh, wait, that's "the good part is that most need so much ugly work and $ that no one bothers and we can buy em cheap as donors...." :D

jbcurt00

Staff member

Well, after recovering from the 4700lb water dump run fiasco, I managed to load the Jet on her new to her Gator trailer:

IMAG0548.jpg

Changed the winch, adjusted the rear bunks out, raised the keel rollers and after work today in the rain:

IMAG0547.jpg

She still floats, so now to get the steering wheel shims installed, fighting the keeper ring inside the steering drum behind the dash.

And spend some time sorting the wiring... Finished a 2nd read thru the service manual, and a refresher thru Max Wawrzniak's Old Outboard rescue book....

Seats & bench planks are done. It'll get no deck, so for now no flotation. But soon it will motor up the river...:)

rheagler

Looks good JB. It looks like it doesn't need much to use for the season. Have fun!

jbcurt00

Staff member

RH, you may have missed the memo, I've only got the Jet until the end of the month...... It's been re-homed:rolleyes:

But thanks!

InMotion

Commander
Re: Finally, progress....

JB - Just to clarify then... the Jet's gonna be gone... but a Jup is coming home?... correct? Sounds good if this is the case. Nothin against Jets or anything... but I am partial to Jup's! :D

rheagler

Yup. I must have missed the memo. I'm also pretty easily confused. Especially lately with working outside in the heat and in un-airconditioned buildings in the heat. Not enough coffee, sleep etc. Or I'm just old and don't pay attention. I just don't know. So where are the pics of the boat you are bringing home?

jbcurt00

Staff member

JB - Just to clarify then... the Jet's gonna be gone... but a Jup is coming home?... correct? Sounds good if this is the case. Nothin against Jets or anything... but I am partial to Jup's!

Yep, you's got it right..... If you want to trade Jups, YOU JUST LET ME KNOW WHERE TO MEET YOU IN Souix St. Marie;) I'm happy to assist the furtherance of your skills:) Don't want your talent to wither while working on the lil' boat......

Yup. I must have missed the memo. I'm also pretty easily confused. Especially lately with working outside in the heat and in un-airconditioned buildings in the heat. Not enough coffee, sleep etc. Or I'm just old and don't pay attention. I just don't know. So where are the pics of the boat you are bringing home?

I got enough going on that until the Jet is off the table, I probably won't start a Jupiter thread...

But, and most importantly, the Jupiter is only 15min from the house:D Plus she has a 'new' ride (galv tilt trailer) waiting for her:cool:

I hear you, I've been a hot mess every night for a week. And that's typically only 1.5-2hr session. Some of it just sitting on the tailgate trying to remember what socket I'd walked over to get & why:facepalm: So yeah, hot, stinking hot.... Even at 6a this morning it was a hot sticky mess already outside. All I'm saying is: my 40acres, mule & pole barn better have A/C, or I don't want it...

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

It may be 100 degrees here, but at least it's a dry desert heat.
None of that sticky humid nonsense

"ooo look a lizard! wait... why do I have a socket in my hand.... :confused:"