Some good stuff happening

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
So while I was working in the garage on the boat this evening, my wife came wandering through... checking all the storage shelves and whatnot. Like she was shopping at a new store. :facepalm:

"Oh, I could use these paint brushes!" she said. "And this storage unit would be great for my stuff!" And on and on... :blah:

Gonna have to get some locks for those doors! :lol:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
First concrete crack found today, near the rear door of the garage. It's tiny, but it's there. :grumpy:

1.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Okay, I finally made some progress here in the garage.

Got that Task Force rolling cabinet fixed! :)

The boy really helped a lot too. ;)

This is the cabinet. Note that the drawers are askew. Several were jammed up and couldn't move. I suspect that my old buddy who gave me the cabinets got physical with this one after he overloaded it and couldn't get the drawers open.

20170402_181640a.jpg

Note how the rail guide lips are seriously bent.
11.jpg

12.jpg

So I re-bent the lips on the left side one evening this week. The boy complained that he didn't get to do any hammering, so I let him help with the right side.

He fit perfectly! :lol:
2.jpg

We re-formed the lips by initially pounding on them with a MFH, then used a punch to tap them back around the rail guides. Worked great!

When it was all done, it looked like so.
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

The boy was proud of the job he did, and so was I! :thumb:
7.jpg

After finishing up that box, we got out the labels I bought and started rearranging the tools into the different boxes.

labels.jpg

8.jpg

Moved tools around a couple times and stuck labels in place. Still need more labels. And tools! And tool boxes! :laugh:
9.jpg

10.jpg

1.jpg

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 2
  • labels.jpg
    labels.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 2

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
BTW - I did try the "ketchup trick" to remove rust from the top of the big red box. Sadly, I have to say that I am unimpressed with the results. Left it on for almost 2 full days and it didn't seem to make much difference. Smelled up the garage though! :lol:

1.jpg

8.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Got more cleanup and organizing done today. We even have a couple empty drawers leftover. Definitely need more tools! :lol:

And I used some leftover 1" aluminum angle stock to fabricate some drawer dividers. Will be riveting those into various drawers but have to buy some new drill bits first. The tired old ones I had could barely make it through the thin aluminum so I didn't even try to use them on the tough old steel drawers. And we won't talk about my 30+ year old rusted hacksaw blades that barely made it through the a-stock. :rolleyes:

I can't even remember everything we did out there today, but much of it was garage related and some boat stuff as well. My wife joined the boy and I out there and did some tie-dying work related stuff. We all had a good time in the garage! :)

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Some stuff mocked into place, prior to riveting. My buddy says I'm a Nerd for wanting partitions. Well, Duh! :lol:
1.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I need some more tool boxes and those ones that were "gently abused" sure are a good deal. :thumb:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Well, I had a busy week... running the roads to various and sundry doc appointments. I got poked, prodded, stabbed, examined and evaluate. Turned into a pincushion. Blech. :blue:

pincushion arms.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
But there were good things happening too!

I had a birthday and was given some awesome goodies. :party: :rockon:

My daughter bought me these:
1.jpg

And my wife bought me this!
1.jpg

So I put the boy and my buddy to work. ;)
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
So yesterday the boy and I went out and rearranged the tools, placed my store-bought labels and made temporary labels from masking tape for the items we had but which didn't have labels. I found some DIY label stuff online and I'll be making all new labels for the drawers.

Anybody notice something there that shouldn't be there? :rolleyes:
Everything is now organized and I've discovered some stuff that I'm missing and need to do a little shopping! :laugh:

1.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Thank you, sir! Much appreciated! Slowly but surely, it's getting there... :)

The only garage sorta/kinda thing I've done lately was to build and erect a lamp pole to place where I park my truck. Gets dark out there at night and I wanted a solar powered motion detector LED light to illuminate the area as I back in to park.

The most interesting part was using the new circular saw in the garage to cut the small piece of plywood. "The boy" was watching and now has much respect for the power of that tool! ;)

2.jpg

1.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Yah!

Eight doc appointments in 9 days, many of which I had to travel over 100 miles round trip to town. Ugh.

I won't bother with all the details and whatnot but will simply summarize:

Doc 1 - "You're old."

Doc 2 - "You're fat!"

:lol:

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nice job on the solar light and I think it's wonderful that "the boy" is being exposed to all of the tools and processes. Far too few youth are getting these experiences at home these days and I feel it's robbing them of a critical component of learning. Not not how to use and respect equipment, but it gives them a real life appreciation for classes later in life , such as algebra, geometry, physics and science!

Keep it up, so long as he's remotely interested, keep encouraging!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Nice job on the solar light and I think it's wonderful that "the boy" is being exposed to all of the tools and processes. Far too few youth are getting these experiences at home these days and I feel it's robbing them of a critical component of learning. Not not how to use and respect equipment, but it gives them a real life appreciation for classes later in life , such as algebra, geometry, physics and science!

Keep it up, so long as he's remotely interested, keep encouraging!
Thanks! Yah, I'm doing my best to give the boy a well rounded view of life. Experiential as well as theoretical. He's doing pretty well too! This weekend I had him using practical math to figure out how much of each part of the Old Timers Formula we needed in order to seal the transom in the Kingfisher. Then I put him to work with a brush and the OTF! :lol: