So, what did you do today?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The Publisher's Clearing House van drove by my house...............................Again!
Well you should feel privileged. At least they drive by your house. They don't even drive on any of our streets... Something about those people can't even read, how would they know to enter?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Well you should feel privileged. At least they drive by your house. They don't even drive on any of our streets... Something about those people can't even read, how would they know to enter?
Never said how close or how far away. :)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not sure if anyone actually cares, but here is an update to my parts washer repair.

Today I took a piece of steel that I removed from a worn-out gas grill when we bought a new one. And even though the sheet steel was pretty thin stuff, I made a pattern and cut out a box to mount the transformer and switch and pilot light into, to power the in-tank fuel pump for the replacement pump that gave up the ghost!

Amazing how flimsy thin sheet metal is until you make bends and such in it. Then it gets really stout. The only reason I made a metal box was because try to find something that would work is near impossible...and costly. So I made my own.

The pictures show what I did. Once painted, and the parts installed, I think it will work perfectly... Parts Washer Box (1).JPG
Sorry for the blurred picture but I was trying to show what I started with.
I think this sheet steel came off the back of the gas grill.

Parts Washer Box (3).JPG
I don't know how to rotate the picture, but this is my pattern I used. Simple and just a quickie to show me what I needed to measure out on the sheet metal.
Parts Washer Box (4).JPG
Here is the preliminary cut metal ready for bending.
Parts Washer Box (7).JPG
This the first setup to bend. And you are seeing the inside of that sheet metal after I polished the rust off.
Parts Washer Box (8).JPG
And here is the bottom of that metal box after all the bends are finished. I will admit not all the bends were done on a metal break. I used different types of setups with my bench vice and heavy solid plate steel to help make the smaller bends. This is where a finger break comes in handy. But I haven't finished mine yet.
Parts Washer Box (9).JPG
A picture of the inside.
Parts Washer Box (10).JPG
This is a picture of the top and bottom of the entire box. The top slides over the bottom and I think I will use sheet metal screws for easier access if need be.
Parts Washer Box (11).JPG
And the entire box loose fitted to show what it will look like. I still need to mount the parts and of course paint it and mount it. I may powder coat it. IDK yet!

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Figured it was an indicators or something. Pilot light and mineral spirits might awaken the safety nuts and we dont need them in this thread...as soon as I can walk ill be posting some of my winter projects.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I welded up all the corners on that box construction yesterday. I have to say, even with the MIG welder set at it's lowest setting I was still fighting blow through. Even with a 1/2" aluminum backer plate to help with the heat, I got some blow throughs that I had to fill in. But I did get everything welded and polished off finally. Talk about a solid box. I honestly can believe how solid it became. I mean the sheet metal was way thinner then 24 gauge metal... You have to do a really quick spot type weld and work on it to weld the length of the corners.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
thanks for the reminder, I picked up an old truck box and the hinges need work so I now have an excuse to order a rivet gun. Got a cheap one, with case as I won't use it much.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Got a wood delivery for next year - something to keep me occupied in the spring - should yield 7-8 cords Merry Christmas to all!

Attachments

• IMG_5274.jpg
    IMG_5274.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5273.jpg
    IMG_5273.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
  • truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 3

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Got a wood delivery for next year - something to keep me occupied in the spring - should yield 7-8 cords Merry Christmas to all!
Well that brings up my failed attempt a couple days ago. I have a few limbs laying around and thought I would cut them up for our fireplace. So out comes the chainsaw, and after about 30 to 40 pulls in multiple starting sections or more, I was tired and had enough of that useless effort. Yes, it was filled with fresh fuel and topped off with bar oil. But not even a hint of trying to fire up. The real surprise about this chainsaw is it is only about a year or so old, and it is a very nice Stihl chainsaw as well. You know, supposed to start easy... NOT!

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
gm,
I can relate to your chain saw frustrations. I seem to have solved that problem when I bought my husky 445 a few years ago. I've only used non ethanol gas in it along with Husky or Stihl oils and no longer use stabilizer. I use it every year but it always starts right up and runs great. Before that I had a Stihl that got any gas, 2 stroke oils and stabilizer but the engine seized one day.

I had three flat tires in the last week. My skid steer hit a rock and broke off the valve stem before I spun the tire and had to put in a tube. Then my dump trailer picked up a nail in the right rear tire. Next my back hoe got a flat rear tire. A basalt rock went through it. It got a big boot since it is just a farm worker. Hopefully I'm past all those jobs.

Today I turned 78 and feel great.

Think I'll start preparing my pickup for a new aluminum canopy that I'm planning to build. There are 3 major requirements that I can't find in others.
1. It must fit in my garage. 8 feet high door.
2. It must take 4 X 8 sheets such as plywood.
3. I need to sleep across in the front.
All this must require no changes even when towing my trailers.
My plans are: maximum height above pickup sides of 35 inches (to allow for solar panels on top), 7 feet wide, 9 feet long and double doors in the rear with 2 inches of foam insulation. All corners will be rounded.

Looks like I have something to do next year.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
gm,
I can relate to your chain saw frustrations. I seem to have solved that problem when I bought my husky 445 a few years ago. I've only used non ethanol gas in it along with Husky or Stihl oils and no longer use stabilizer. I use it every year but it always starts right up and runs great. Before that I had a Stihl that got any gas, 2 stroke oils and stabilizer but the engine seized one day.

I had three flat tires in the last week. My skid steer hit a rock and broke off the valve stem before I spun the tire and had to put in a tube. Then my dump trailer picked up a nail in the right rear tire. Next my back hoe got a flat rear tire. A basalt rock went through it. It got a big boot since it is just a farm worker. Hopefully I'm past all those jobs.

Today I turned 78 and feel great.

Think I'll start preparing my pickup for a new aluminum canopy that I'm planning to build. There are 3 major requirements that I can't find in others.
1. It must fit in my garage. 8 feet high door.
2. It must take 4 X 8 sheets such as plywood.
3. I need to sleep across in the front.
All this must require no changes even when towing my trailers.
My plans are: maximum height above pickup sides of 35 inches (to allow for solar panels on top), 7 feet wide, 9 feet long and double doors in the rear with 2 inches of foam insulation. All corners will be rounded.

Looks like I have something to do next year.
I have such a long "to-do" list, I wish I could forget where that list is, so I could ignore it. I mean I seem to forget other things, epically where I placed a tool I need, why can't I forget the to-do list....

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I
I have such a long "to-do" list, I wish I could forget where that list is, so I could ignore it. I mean I seem to forget other things, epically where I placed a tool I need, why can't I forget the to-do list....
I've been there for years. Just keep plowing forward. Things have a habit of showing up when you least expect them, then you promptly forget where you saw them.
Over the years I've bought lots of stuff that I already have.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
I have a Stihl and truthfully it eats spark plugs I usually have to change it every season. I run nothing but high-test w/o ethanol and even add a tiny bit of the marine blue stabilizer. Yes they are picky critters.

southkogs

Staff member
Just watched my son graduate BMT with USAF. Had to watch live stream, so we couldn't figure out which kid in OCPs and a black mask was him ... but he was in there somewhere. 🇺🇸

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Congratulations, Airman Kogs.

Where does he go next, SK? Maybe things are faster today, but I was assigned to what was called casual duty until my orders to Flight Simulator training were cut. Casual duty meant policing the base for trash, painting and ammo dump inventory. And naturally, a few days of KP.

southkogs

Staff member
Thanks y'all.

That actually is probably not too far off from what his next week will be, GA. We got to talk with him yesterday briefly. His tech school is right there at Lackland, so he pretty much just swaps dorms sometime tomorrow or Friday. But, they won't spool up his training for a week or so and he expects something like the casual duty you described. Hurry up and wait :)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks y'all.

That actually is probably not too far off from what his next week will be, GA. We got to talk with him yesterday briefly. His tech school is right there at Lackland, so he pretty much just swaps dorms sometime tomorrow or Friday. But, they won't spool up his training for a week or so and he expects something like the casual duty you described. Hurry up and wait :)
I am certain that pride was swelling up inside you to watch however they set it up, I mean who wouldn't. I know when my adult boys do something great with major promotions and awards, I get that chocked up feeling still and they are in their 40's with quality jobs and their own families. But being a parent never ever ends. And I don't want it to either.