So, what did you do today?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Since my parts washer pump gave it up (yes a Harbor Freight), I am fashioning a REAL pump from an in tank fuel pump. I had one sitting on the shelf from some other fuel tank work back a couple years ago and it runs like a top. But since it is 12 volts +/-, I had to rig up a transformer and diode bridge to make it work out. But since the pump is a real gasoline fuel pump, mineral spirits should be any issues with this one. The cost of a quality replacement parts washer pump was unbelievable... And I don't need another plastic Chinese parts washer Harbor Freight pump anyways.
I just did the same thing. Actually, I started to do it earlier in the year but finally needed it bad so finished the conversion last week. I have mine plumbed to a spigot and a brush. Not quite the flow I want but it works. I ran mine through the large 10 micron yamaha filter.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
@gm280 do you have a link for this power supply you speak of? I am using a battery and a charger. Maybe a little how to ifbyou have the time to explain it but I can probably figure it out. I prefer not to spend $100 on the power supply Scott speaks of.

Last edited:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I am using 3/8" ID supply and output hose split to a spigot and brush. A electric fuel pump for carb motor. I believe it was rated at 5-7 psi. Wish I had about twice the flow. Would more psi increase effective flow? Fluid dynamics are not my strong suit. What ID hose did you guys use. @Scott Danforth @gm280

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I used 1/2" hose, however not sure 3/8 would change flow rate

gm280

Supreme Mariner
@gm280 do you have a link for this power supply you speak of? I am using a battery and a charger. Maybe a little how to ifbyou have the time to explain it but I can probably figure it out. I prefer not to spend $100 on the power supply Scott speaks of.
Well first I measured the resistance of the pump. It reads 5.1 ohms. So using that as a guide, I took an older 24 volt transformer at 2 amps with a center tap and coupled the two outer leads with that center tap winding to give me 12 volts. But that also doubles the current. So instead of 2 amps I now have 4 amps output. So all I needed was a way to convert that to DC. And since I have thousands of electronic parts, I located an 8 amp bridge diode pack and will use that to rectify the AC to DC. WALA 12 volts with 4 amp capability. If you take the 5.1 ohm into ~12 volts it pulls a little over 2.3 amps. But I know it will be loaded and require about 3 to 4 amp in reality... So everything will fit inside the metal box section and that is how I am fashioning my new pump setup.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Some of us will end up on American Pickers! Watch for the white van with Mike and Frank pulling into the driveway.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You can't get a parts washer pump that pumps mineral spirits anymore. They quit selling them 2009ish. You are supposed to go green and use water based solutions that just don't work well.
Actually I haven't even looked for one. However, a typical in-tank fuel pump will work all day long. The only issue is they all use 12 volts or 24 volts for special vehicles, and therefore you have to build a power supply that can supply the current to run them. But once you build the power supply, you can pick whatever in-tank pump you like. And surprisingly those universal in-tank pumps are very reasonable ranging in price from ~$15 dollar an up. And it looks like most of them are built the exact same. The body of them are 1.5" in diameter. So use a clamp setup to hold 1.5" and build away...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well first I measured the resistance of the pump. It reads 5.1 ohms. So using that as a guide, I took an older 24 volt transformer at 2 amps with a center tap and coupled the two outer leads with that center tap winding to give me 12 volts. But that also doubles the current. So instead of 2 amps I now have 4 amps output. So all I needed was a way to convert that to DC. And since I have thousands of electronic parts, I located an 8 amp bridge diode pack and will use that to rectify the AC to DC. WALA 12 volts with 4 amp capability. If you take the 5.1 ohm into ~12 volts it pulls a little over 2.3 amps. But I know it will be loaded and require about 3 to 4 amp in reality... So everything will fit inside the metal box section and that is how I am fashioning my new pump setup.
A little update to this after more building today. Seems the pump only pulls about 2.3 amps without a load. That jumps to 4.5 amps under load. So I aborted the initial transformer and picked a much larger version. It is capable of 9 amps out. So I am setting up to use that transformer now. Everything else basically the same. I could move to a 35 amp bridge as well. We'll see. Anyway, that pump is strong and the flow rate is amazing compared to the HF version... And even with the heftier transformer, everything still easily fits into the metal box. Joy joy...

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Actually I haven't even looked for one. However, a typical in-tank fuel pump will work all day long. The only issue is they all use 12 volts or 24 volts for special vehicles, and therefore you have to build a power supply that can supply the current to run them. But once you build the power supply, you can pick whatever in-tank pump you like. And surprisingly those universal in-tank pumps are very reasonable ranging in price from ~$15 dollar an up. And it looks like most of them are built the exact same. The body of them are 1.5" in diameter. So use a clamp setup to hold 1.5" and build away...
The only.issue I see with the in tank pump is filtration. I plumbed a pick up in the metal box and ran that to a fuel/water separator filter then to the pump. Powering it with a deep cycle and battery charger till I figure out a power supply. I am going to switch it to a fuel injection style pump. I think that will give me better flow. I have a couple off some junk mercruisers laying around I think.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
The only issue I see with the in tank pump is filtration. I plumbed a pick up in the metal box and ran that to a fuel/water separator filter then to the pump. Powering it with a deep cycle and battery charger till I figure out a power supply. I am going to switch it to a fuel injection style pump. I think that will give me better flow. I have a couple off some junk mercruisers laying around I think

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I am presently using the initial metal box setup that the parts washer came with and therefore the filter capability is merely how it came from the factory. That should be enough to filter out the pieces of gasket material and wads of greasy clumps. I am installing everything inside the top of that metal container. Not sure it will remain that way or not. The transformer is well above the fluid level but I am still considering installing everything out side the tank for more safety reasons though. As for a heavy duty power transformer, I am using a heavy low voltage light transformer that is typically used for outside lighting for decorative lights. It is 9 amps output at 12 volts. And it is 12 volts nearly on the money too. Another source could be an older battery charge transformer. If you can find such a battery charger, the transformer would a really great source... Just some ideas.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thought I would show how I made a clamp bracket to install the in-tank fluid pump. Not actually a new Ideas, but wasn't hard to fashion either.
First I took a 1/2" aluminum plate material I have laying around. I bought a huge sheet of this decades ago for a song from a scrap yard. I think it was about three feet by five feet when I bought it. So I have built a lot of projects using that stuff.
I used a typical hole saw setup in the drill press and cut a 1.5" hole through the plate (that is the size of the pump body and most in-tank fuel pumps use that same diameter as well). Then I drilled and tapped a 13/64" drill hole on one side almost through the entire length. Then I taped that hole for a standard 1/4-20 tpi thread. I used an actual 1/4" clearance drill to drill a relief about half way through that tapped hole so that the bolt would not be threading into the top half. Then I used the band saw to cut a wide slot in the aluminum. And I finished off with two number 8 screw tapped holes in the bottom for mounting that clamp plate. And it works like a charm. You can easily tighten the pump up and even have the option to loosen the bolt and slide the pump up or down as needed. And you can also open the clamp up and remove the pump if necessary as well. Problem solved for this part.Parts Washer Pics (1).JPG
Scrap piece laying around.

Parts Washer Pics (2).JPG
1.5" hole drilled
Parts Washer Pics (3).JPG
Two number 8 screw holes tapped
Parts Washer Pics (4).JPG
Top hole for 1/4-20 bolt
Parts Washer Pics (5).JPG
Pump inserted...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Good craftsmanship.
Thanks Jake, Not an original idea but it allows me much movement if needed, and if I have to, I can take the pump out and install another one very quickly. And since most in-tank fuel pumps are manufactured the same (actual pump portion anyway) they are available pretty cheaply too. Way cheaper then the Harbor Freight replacement, and light-years better too.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Well, its that time of the year. Need a new shop calender. Now, in my opinion these should be free. I also think I shouldn't have to change my views. I spend thousands and thousands with my parts suppliers. I guess they think the whole world is offended. I dont want cars, I dont want motorcycles, I certainly don't want cats at least not the meow kind.

Sorry for the rant...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The Publisher's Clearing House van drove by my house...............................Again!