Show yer Mirrocraft..............or just tell about it

magnumforc

Recruit
Re: Show yer Mirrocraft..............or just tell about it

Sure wish I still had some pics of my 18' MirroCraft Ranger. For several years, Mirro Craft made fiberglass tri-hull boats and this was a weekender. Very similar to the 19 foot Cruisers, Inc. Weekender, but with fewer amenities. Available in one color, gold, the Ranger had twin bunks inside a small cabin with 4 non-opening oval port lights, two to front and one on each side. The hatch from the cabin to the forward deck was large and allowed easy access for docking, although the easiest was was around the deck. There was space between the bunks for a porta-pottie, which you had to purchase additional, and you had to fashion your own hold downs as the boat was sparse on available accessories.

The port and starboard seats folded down into lounges for sleeping and the boat came with full camper canvas for overnighting. No sink or ice box was available as came standard on the Cruisers Inc. models.

Power for mine was by a 100 HP 6 Cylinder Mercury Merc 1000 which made this boat very fast and agile. The first engine was a 65 HP Mercury Merc 650 4 cylinder which was too slow and hardly would plane unless at full throttle, regardless of props, so it was swapped for the bigger used Merc in the middle of the season. Fuel and battery storage were under a flap at the stern which snapped down to conceal the battery and the fuel tanks. No built-in tank came with the boat, so I installed an 18 gallon steel Tempo tank with electric gauge and deck fill, and also carried two additional 6 gallon portable tanks.

Easy to trailer SHORT distances but too large for long hauls at that time. I borrowed trailers to clean the bottom. Stood up to bad weather on the Finger Lakes and Lake Ontario.

A great boat. Only drawback was the camper top always leaked as they sewed it with nylon thread and it never swelled in the rain. No amount of vinyl dab or tent wax helped and I spent all too many nights in a wet sleeping bag on a lake in Upstate NY before I decided to sell it and buy a larger cruiser.

gmctruck

Cadet

to everyone that wants to know how old their boat is go to the mirro craft web site and send an email to tim allen with your transom #. I sent him mine and he told me that my boat was a 1964 family runabout and sent the 1964 brochure as well. hope this helps

junksta

Recruit

Just bought a 79 Mirrocraft 14' and cannot read the capacity plate. The model is H1438. If anyone has a plate they can read I would prishy8 the numbers.

wanted_now

Recruit

Hi all,
I'm a newbe here and I joined because I thought I have an old Mirrocraft... Not so sure now... Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Mike:facepalm:

MissGuided_6.jpgMissGuided_3.jpgMissGuided_4.jpgMissGuided_5.jpg

photomaker2000

Recruit

100_0704-vi.jpg

Have used this with small trolling motor but last year grabbed a nice 9.9 Evinrude off Ebay,
and I plan to remove the middle seat, add a floor between the other seats, and a small front
deck and rear deck.

dz0k52

Recruit

mirrocraft2.jpgmirrocraft1.jpgmirrocraft3.jpg
Just bought her today and was told its a 1960.. Any help with sourcing parts, (windshield hardware etc,) would be great. Also any links to Mirrocraft information, pictures , brochures would be awesome. I will put finished product here when I am done ( winter project).

iMirroCraft

Recruit

Just started iboats and just picked up my first mirrocraft. 1967 16' run about with same year 40hp johnson, runs like a top. She's rough now but future plans are a floor and different seating. This boat looks as though it's never had any actual flooring in it, is that common? thanks!
Image093.jpgImage092.jpg

AKA_CJ

Cadet

Hello! I just purchased this 1969 15'3" Mirrocraft Runabout. Not sure of the model as it only says 15 on the transom plate. It has an early 90s 40 HP Mariner and an 8hp Merc Kicker. I'll probably try and sell the Merc and pick up a Minn Kota. It's my first boat and I've already got my hands full with the Mariner. :eek: The boat is pretty light (I'd guess less than 600lbs) so a 24V system should do the trick. Get to take it out this weekend for my first run! Crabbing season is just starting too! I haven't taken any good pictures yet but will have some soon. Here's a shot from the Craigslist posting. Cheers!

photo 3.JPG

dz0k52

Recruit

just_painted.jpg
Just out of the paint shop.
I know some of the enthusiasts may not like the colours but I kept the stripe.
Will keep updating as she progresses. Did anyone ever source the plastic emblems?
I hate to put those cracked ones back on.

My grandfather just gave me a 1965 mirro, 14' with the covered front. it bein pushed throught the water with a 1970 evinrude 18 horse. I love the boat, and plan on putting a flat bottom on it and possibly changing the seat config. A question that i had, the bench seats in these dont look like they do much structually, and was kinda wanting to remove them and put two seats at the steering and two bench seats that run along the sides of the boat rather than across. I also dont know what the largest size motor i can run on this one, any ideas? When i get home from my hitch working in the dakotas i will post pics of the before and after. i am so glad i found this forum, i havent been too successful in getting info on my boat or motor so this could be a huge help.

This is my first boat so i am really excited to see so many cool boats that i can get ideas from. Thanks guys.

I know people who own Starcraft boats join a Starmada, but what do mirrocraft people join? an elite group of mirrocrafters??

iMirroCraft

Recruit

My boat had two aluminum bars running from side to side with a piece of ply wood on it for seats. i removed them and placed a solid floor in it and made benches that run the sides. I've not had any structural problems, I've deemed them un-necessary! i'll post pictures when i get a chance. they are on my crappy cell phone but you'll get the gist

mydejavooo

Cadet

Hey guys! Glad to be a part of what looks like a GREAT forum, and this is my very first post! I just wanted to share with you guys, my new purchase. Well, trade. I traded a $250 gun for (what I've been told) a $1000 boat! Happy as a clam! Anyways, the registration says it's a 1965 MirroGlass, with a 1965 18hp Evinrude Fastwin. It's pull start, but has an electric start button with wires going up to the flywheel area...but I can't see where a battery would be connected. Any help in that area? It runs good, and I think my first purchase will be a hydrofoil for the lower unit. I've heard that really helps, and it's a cheap performance upgrade. I've been clay-barring the soup out of the paint today, trying to get her looking good for the lake this weekend!! I used to own a '71 Glastron with a 351w and a Berkley jet...and THAT boat owning experience was a complete nightmare! ALWAYS something going wrong....so I really, really hope this experience goes better!! Anyways, if anyone can tell me what style this hull is, would be greatly appreciated. I think it's a runabout?? Does that sound right? Anyways, here are some pics. Thanks guys!!

DeJa

SI850395.jpg

SI850394.jpg

SI850392.jpg

SI850401.jpg

SI850400.jpg

SI850407.jpg

JennyNSerge

Cadet

Adding our 2 cents worth too!

Just recently acquired a 1962 Mirrocraft 14 ft deep hull closed bow aluminum boat.
not quite sure of the model, as the HIN and other info is not with it, only the serial number.
Mirrocraft told me its a 1962 by the serial number tho, and sent me a pdf of the 1963 brochure.
It has 2 bench seats low down in the boat, about half way down, nestled in a groove that goes all the way round.
Still has much of its paint on it, but has rubbed off in a few spots.
At 50 yrs old, it looks really good and the older gent we bought it from said he has spent many great hours and hours in it. He just couldn't keep it anymore with his health heading downhill.

Will post pics soon.
So pleased to find this site and the Mirro owners board too.
Jenny n Serge

magnumforc

Recruit

mirrocraft ranger.jpg
Sure wish I still had some pics of my 18' MirroCraft Ranger. For several years, Mirro Craft made fiberglass tri-hull boats and this was a weekender. Very similar to the 19 foot Cruisers, Inc. Weekender, but with fewer amenities. Available in one color, gold, the Ranger had twin bunks inside a small cabin with 4 non-opening oval port lights, two to front and one on each side. The hatch from the cabin to the forward deck was large and allowed easy access for docking, although the easiest was was around the deck. There was space between the bunks for a porta-pottie, which you had to purchase additional, and you had to fashion your own hold downs as the boat was sparse on available accessories.

The port and starboard seats folded down into lounges for sleeping and the boat came with full camper canvas for overnighting. No sink or ice box was available as came standard on the Cruisers Inc. models.

Power for mine was by a 100 HP 6 Cylinder Mercury Merc 1000 which made this boat very fast and agile. The first engine was a 65 HP Mercury Merc 650 4 cylinder which was too slow and hardly would plane unless at full throttle, regardless of props, so it was swapped for the bigger used Merc in the middle of the season. Fuel and battery storage were under a flap at the stern which snapped down to conceal the battery and the fuel tanks. No built-in tank came with the boat, so I installed an 18 gallon steel Tempo tank with electric gauge and deck fill, and also carried two additional 6 gallon portable tanks.

Easy to trailer SHORT distances but too large for long hauls at that time. I borrowed trailers to clean the bottom. Stood up to bad weather on the Finger Lakes and Lake Ontario.

A great boat. Only drawback was the camper top always leaked as they sewed it with nylon thread and it never swelled in the rain. No amount of vinyl dab or tent wax helped and I spent all too many nights in a wet sleeping bag on a lake in Upstate NY before I decided to sell it and buy a larger cruiser.

Heres a pic showing the Ranger!

fishshtick

Recruit

:eek:WARNING! LEAD HAZARD!...I am restoring a 1970 14' Mirrocraft Deep Fisherman. All the aluminum except the transom trim is in great condition and Mirrocraft was even able to send me a replacement trim piece (it hasn't changed in 50 years). Every piece of wood was hopelessly rotted, but I replaced all of that. HOWEVER...tested that wonderful original turquoise exterior paint and that interior cream paint and they both tested positive for lead. It was common to use lead paint on hulls up into the 1980s. Moreover, the paint on those old boats is ablative (in other words made to wear away over time) and weathers easily. Even after repeated washings with a power washer all you had to do was rub the paint and some would come off on your fingers. This is pretty much what I have encountered with all older Mirrocrafts. If you plan to sand the paint on your boat, you need to wear a serious respirator. Also, you might want to consider stripping and repainting your boat if you plan to have kids in it, because it would not be hard for them to get lead poisoning from touching the boat and putting their hand in their mouths. A much better option than chemical stripping is soda blasting. I got a great bargain on a guy who soda blasted all the paint off mine. It worked great (never sand blast an aluminum hull). The soda removes all the paint but didn't even mar the anodizing on the aluminum underneath or chip any of the seals. A little self-etching primer and some paint and you are back on the water with a lead-free boat.

seasport31

Cadet

Just picked this up for 200 dollars. 1969 18 horse Evinrude, boat is a 1978. Did this have a steering wheel originally?20131018_111621.jpg20131018_111527.jpg20131018_111558.jpg

mydejavooo

Cadet

Sweet deal!! The bow LOOKS like mine, and mine has a steering wheel and a windshield, but I think a photo of the "dash" area would clear that up.

Throbbin Rods

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

I picked up a 1974 Mirrocraft 16' open boat with the Mirrocraft side console. Plan is to convert it into an open duck hunting boat with no tank seats forward of the first one. I will build some sort of platform to mount the console when I get the floor in. I currently have the transom out, boy was it rotted! My buddy the woodworker is doing the new one for me. Plan is to paint in camo, including trailer and the 50hp Johnson and add a blind that goes up and down as needed with a minimum of fuss.
Progress is slow as I have broken my wrist but I am going to keep plugging to get it done. Looking forward to the maiden voyage!!

Attachments

• photo248600.jpg
    photo248600.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 5

Throbbin Rods

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone have a source for original Mirrocraft transom hooks? I am replacing my transom and the existing hooks are in terrible shape. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Bill