Seat belts

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Seat belts

Anybody who doesn't wear one is a complete and total idiot. Period. There is ZERO reason not to wear one. They don't cost money. They don't hurt. They rarely get in the way. THEY SAVE YOUR LIFE. Why the hell would anyone not wear one? There is a very high chance I would not be here today if I wasn't wearing one when I wrecked my truck a year and a half ago. Instead I just hurt my neck because the seatbelt held me back...otherwise the windshield/steering wheel would have put a dent in my brain.

Laddies

Banned

I have lost a freind to the poor design of the diagonal belt and know of a couple of people in the area that have been injured seriously by them. I and my wife were involved in a serious accident and the only serious injury was to the only person with a seat belt on. My point is as simple as, if the seatbelts must be worn, then lets make them safe or those who design them and make us wear them liable for the damage to people forced to wear them. So who is stupid--Bob

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by Laddies:<br />So who is stupid--Bob
The people who don't wear them. Yes, there are injuries caused by seatbelts - like I said, I permanently damaged my neck because of the seatbelt. On the other hand, I would have permanently damaged my brain without it. Seatbelt designs are just fine, especially in newer cars. Occassionally they cause more harm than good, but that is EXTREMELY rare. The percentage of accidents where people didn't die because they had their seatbelts on is EXTREMELY high.

Laddies

Banned

I wouldn't want to be brain damaged or a cripple either one, I certainly can feel for anyone who is, but I don't think it's an excuse for name calling. At 65 I have lived most of my life without needing to be told right from wrong by the goverment. It's my life I risked it from our freedom, mine and yours the goverment don't worry about injurys to much when you are serving them, but worrys about us now. WAKE UP

magster65

Commander

Most of the time.<br />At work I'm in and out of the truck a lot so I don't use one (govt. vehicle exemption) unless I'm travelling on the highway.<br />In my own vehicle I use one 99% of the time... besides that, in B.C., seatbelts are mandatory.

brother chris

Commander

I always wear my seatbelt when I am in my truck. <br />When I am in someone else's car, I use it about %95 of the time. <br />And as I type this, I wonder why I do not use a seat belt ALL THE TIME when I am in someone's vehicle. I trust my driving way better than anyone else's. <br />I guess I have to change that to %100 of the time now!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The poll sould have had a "Sometimes" box to check.<br /><br />I guess I am about a 75% of the time person.<br /><br />Bob

sue5878

Petty Officer 3rd Class

since Aspec gave percentages I will add my expierience of 28 yrs in the police force. <br />1%/99%. That doesn't mention the serious injuries but the odds would be the same. <br />My suggestion if u want to live put one on.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Has anyone here ever unbuckled a dead person from a seat belt?<br /><br />"They" always say that.<br /><br />Anyway, I always wear my seatbelt, cause rollovers and hitting things are the most common crashes.<br /><br />I am sure there are some wrecks when not wearing one would help, but they are much rarer than the others.<br /><br />I go with the odds.<br /><br />But first, I try to avoid the rollovers and hitting things first. ;) <br /><br />Ken

D

DJ

My employer has a great policy.<br /><br />If you get in a wreck and are injured and NOT wearing a seat belt-your medical care is NOT paid for.<br /><br />Pretty good incentive-in my book.

eeboater

Commander

Dad was in a rollover accident. Rolled 6 times down the highway when someone crossed the median and clipped the rear of his pickup truck.<br /><br />Without the seatbelt he would be dead.<br /><br />On New Years Eve, a semi truck collided with the rear end of my parents 40' RV at 72 miles per hour. The collision obliterated the two horses in the trailer behind the RV. The semi driver walked away. Why? Because of his seatbelt.<br /><br />Enough said.<br /><br /><br />Sean

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br /> There is ZERO reason not to wear one. They don't cost money. They don't hurt. They rarely get in the way. THEY SAVE YOUR LIFE. Why the hell would anyone not wear one?
My sentiments exactly.<br /> :cool:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have had and used seat belts at all times since the early 50s.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

If you don't wear your belt in Ohio, you can and will get pulled over. That is even if you don't have any violations as well.

D

DJ

My father got to see two dead teenage girls that broke their necks on the side of his van after being ejected (not belted) from a Fiat X-19 that broadsided him.<br /><br />Even after all the death and destruction he saw in WWII, that incident affected him the most.<br /><br />His words: "war is one thing, stupidity and carelessness is another".

QC

Supreme Mariner

100% for me, but I have to fight the wife sometimes. She says she only forgets when I'm in the car. Sounds like a load to me . . .<br /><br />Also, I see a lot of kids (mine included) try to get away with putting the shoulder belt behind their back (all you can see is the lap belt). Makes me crazy, seems like some moms are allowing this and I am on a personal crusade to stomp it out!!!!