Sea Nymph Redo?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'm glad you did this. I have a piece of the crappy MDF "CHIP BOARD" that I had Nailed over a hole on the side of my house. It was there for almost a year. 4 seasons of Okie weather. I sealed it only using the formula but did NOT use the follow up coats of full strength poly. That stuff, as most of you know, usually swells up and breaks apart when moisture gets to it. I think you'll be amazed when you see it. Again, thanks for posting the pics, I for one am not at all surprised with your results especially since you have the full strength marine varnish on it.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Thanks scipper77. I have seen pictures of both the 144 Pike Attacker, which this is, and the 16' Pike.

From what I'm seeing these hulls are fairly basic with pretty simple build methods. The transom was very easy to access unlike the way the Alumacraft's are built. This one originally had a live-well for the helm seat which I'm not going to put back in as it takes up too much deck space and it really isn't that large or deep. As you can see I opted for pedestal seats instead. Though I do have an idea for adding a well into the front bench seat.

Would still love to see pictures of yours. Also if you haven't seen it already there are a couple of links at the beginning of this thread to a bit more history on this boat.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
No Wood, thank you for the tip! I'm a believer after using this on a number of projects. I'll go as far as saying that anybody that doesn't use this method on their tin boats is wasting money. A glass boat is a different animal, most often the deck and everything on a glass boat is sealed up and they do not get the air flow or movement under the decks that will allow them to dry out over a short period of time.

Question, have you ever tried a stain tint to this formula?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, sure have. In fact, I have a woodworking buddy, that uses it all the time with walnut oil based stain on Memorial Flag boxes he makes. I'll see if I can get a pic an post it for you. Ok I got the pic. This one is made from Walnut and Spalted Walnut. Used the Oldtimers recipe and adds a 4th ingredient... oil walnut stain He hand rubs it on. 3 coats and no final coat of varnish FlagBox.jpg

Attachments

• FlagBox.jpg
    FlagBox.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

scipper77

Commander
Looks like I don't have any really good pictures to show the layout of mine. I do really appreciate the tiller setup for all of the space it gives me but it is very annoying when in transit and steering sideways from the Stern.

Here is a link to a photo bucket album with the pics I could dig up from my phone. Seats are out in all but 1 pic because I had to leave it parked overnight when I broke a leaf spring so I stripped it before someone else did.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Thanks Wood! That is a beautiful piece of work. My older brother still has my dads flag and it would look very nice in one of those.

scipper77, Looks like a fine fishing platform. A bit different than mine with a lot more deck space. Myself, I'm partial to remote steering. For me it's just more comfortable and I don't feel I've given up that much space. Hope you got that spring fixed.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Still undecided about how to finish off this transom as I'm not convinced that the SS is the way to go. It does add a lot more weight than I'd like. Then there is also the small splash-well. It just looks out of place and doesn't appear that it would be very functional. Thinking of just leaving it out. So here are 3 different ideas I have or as a 4th option I've found a supplier close by were I can get a 4'X2' sheet of 22ga aluminum and just starting over. Only thing is, the inside of this transom is 54" so the new sheet will still not cover the whole thing.

64osby

Admiral
Looks good to me. Paint the wood grey and put the cap on. My .02.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Looks good but I still kinda cringe about the dissimilar metals aspect of it.

I say if you could go AL and still be wide enough to cover the cutout on the outside I'd go that route. If needed for through bolts/screws some extra backer plates could be added to get the extra coverage where needed.

Aesthetically I'm with Osby - Paint the whole thing grey and be done with it.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Thanks guys. I've got time to decide as I still want to get the transom painted before I cover it with something as it will look better than painting it after this is installed. Thing is also that I'm going to have to see if I can get the garage up to a decent temp. This is a very old and drafty building.

After looking at the pictures some more the last example is looking better. Though I would like to be able to cover the whole thing in one piece.

Not too concerned about the dissimilar metals as all the hardware I've pulled out so far has been stainless with no signs of corrosion and I doubt that this will ever see salt water being as it's in Wisconsin.

64osby

Admiral
After looking at the pictures some more the last example is looking better. Though I would like to be able to cover the whole thing in one piece.

I agree with the last pic option also. Covering the whole thing might lead to holding more moisture against the wood. Having it open might allow it to dry more.

Are you building this to last for your great great great grand kids?:D

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Are you building this to last for your great great great grand kids?:D

Actually this thing started as a quick turnaround, a quick fix just to get back on the water to fish for the season while I worked on my 16' Alumacraft. Didn't turn out that way. Now that I'm into it I'm finding I like this boat. It's just a little longer than the Lund S14 DLX but a lot more open. It's not as comfy as my Classic 16 but it's a lot easier for me to load when I'm by myself and is still comfortable with 2 people in it and fits well on the waters I fish. Who knows, may finish the Alumacraft then sell it and keep this one!

Yes the transom wood was sealed with the "Old Timers Formula", which I've been having great results with, and has 3 coats of Spar urethane over that so I'm thinking I may just leave it as-is seeing as I can't find a 60"X12' piece of sheet aluminum. Also agree with your thinking that it may help to keep it from retaining water.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
While cleaning up in the garage yesterday I found a nice piece of left over 5/8" plywood that will just fit in the bow between the forward seat and the mid seat that I will use to build a hinged forward platform such as I had done in my old Lund. It will sit level with the front and about 4" below the middle. This will also add some well needed storage space.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Update on the DTM latex paint. While working in the garage putting up plastic to seal out some of the drafts I had accidently dropped things into the boat. Upon investigation I didn't see any scratches or marring in the paint so it looks like it is curing very well. Still need to see how it's going to adhere to the aluminum over time and if it's going to blister and peel.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Already bored with winter and waiting on a part for my garage heater so I did this. Please excuse the art work it was done in Paint.
Now opinions please, Red or Blue.

The representations are the closest I could get to Rustoleum Marine Bright Red and Brightsides Flag Blue.

Last edited:

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
I say blue but it's my favorite color so I'm biased.

I like the frame of white created by painting the spray rail.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, I gotta say the Blue looks nice. Check out the Ace Hardware Color Chart I sent ya. They have several shades of Dark Blue and with the hardener it could save ya some Bucks over the Brightsides paint. That International Blue looks Pretty close to me.
3476777-acecolors.jpg

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ha bonz_d, first I'd like to say a good use for the MS Paint Program. It does offer a close look to the finished boat paint scheme. Secondly, I am extremely partial to red(s). However, in this case the blue wins out with me as well. It make the boat look classy. Maybe you can even add a couple thin strips to breakup the solid color. Just a suggestion though. And for the trailer, mix it up a little. Go for a different look then the standard black or white look. How about a nice dark gray or some other coordinating color? Again, just suggestions. I know whatever you decide will be awesome. I've seen your work. :thumb: