Sea Nymph Redo?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Used this. I've used it before on steel trailers with very good results but I've never tried it on aluminum so my question to myself and the test is just how well it will adhere to aluminum and how durable is it going to be. As stated the Rustoleum rep says it should work as well as any other and also pointed me to an aluminum primer that they make and will work with this product.

Another reason for trying this paint is because for 1, I get it for FREE but also because no one else I know has tried it on a boat and with the constant changes being made to paints lately with all the government regulations and the environmentalists I figured why not look for an alternative. I mean who knows, maybe someday this will be the only option available for DIY'ers. Though I hope not.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
It's funny you posted this. I just bought a Gallon of the same stuff to try on my outdoor furniture. Gunna give it a try and see how it performs. I even bought the Water Based Acrylic Clear coat too! I'll let you know how it works too!!! How come you get it Free??

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I wondered about that water base aluminum primer rusto makes. Personally I've never seen a lasting paint job with oil and water mixed but a water based primer and top coat should be fine. Looking forward to seeing the results.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
It's funny you posted this. I just bought a Gallon of the same stuff to try on my outdoor furniture. Gunna give it a try and see how it performs. I even bought the Water Based Acrylic Clear coat too! I'll let you know how it works too!!! How come you get it Free??

Company my wife works for is an industrial distributor for Rustoleum. When they get damaged cans they can't sell them and it's too costly to ship it all back so they write it off and scrap it. They just wrote off 2 whole skids that was damaged in a freight accident, whole trailer burned. They also lost a lot of money on pumps and hoses that was in that shipment.

I've used this as said on 4 different trailers in the past few years and it's worked very well for that. The trailer that is under the Lund that I sold to my brother was painted with this and still looks good after 6 years. I also plan on using this paint on the trailer that is under this boat.

Again, there is nothing fancy or special about this boat. There is and will not be any real big time value to it even once finished. It's just a working fishing boat and that is all it will ever be. The project isn't that big and all that can happen is I find out this paint doesn't work well on aluminum and all I'll be out is my time and effort. Also I have lots of this stuff so I'll have plenty left for any touch-ups I'll ever have to do. Besides, it can't look any worse than it already does! Time will surely tell.

The only other thing I haven't tried yet is spraying this paint. It is rather thick and not sure how well it would go thru my gun even with a 1.8 tip used for primers.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I wondered about that water base aluminum primer rusto makes. Personally I've never seen a lasting paint job with oil and water mixed but a water based primer and top coat should be fine. Looking forward to seeing the results.

They make a latex primer to go along with this paint and have used it with this paint. Haven't tried the aluminum primer as of yet and haven't looked into it enough to know whether it is also a latex type paint. But now you have my curiosity tweaked and I'll have to look into it. As of now my source doesn't carry it otherwise I'd have some to try out.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Looking good....I've been thinking about spraying the inside of my boat....but after seeing what you did rolling could be a option.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Looking good....I've been thinking about spraying the inside of my boat....but after seeing what you did rolling could be a option.

Thanks, I was going to spray this but I haven't tried this paint in a sprayer yet, and being as it is a latex it is a bit thick and I am not sure if I can thin it down enough to work thru my gun.

Over-all I'm pleased with the results for the interior. Though as I stated before there is a very slight texture to this. Not sure if it's from the roller, my technic, or just the paint itself. I'm inclined to believe it a bit of all-of-the above. Part of it might be that I'm putting it on rather thin and it is not flattening out though even when I've brushed it, it doesn't appear to flatten well.

I'll be looking forward to see yours! Have you started a thread yet?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
So I was finally able to evict the Alumacraft from the garage and get it covered and the Pike has now moved in.

Was able to get some more paint on it today and also got the plywood cut and almost fitted to cover the side flotation boxes. Got the one side cut and fitted then used that for a pattern for the other side only to find the 2 sides are not the same shape. Grrrrr! I'll finish up the fitting tomorrow then seal them up with the "Old Timers Formula". From there it will be finishing up fitting and drilling the transom and the SS cover I'll be putting on it.

Observation on this paint so far. Have noticed it's taking a long time to cure hard as there are spots that still seam to scratch easily. Haven't determined yet if it's the latex on aluminum or if it's the lower temps. I know from experience with this paint that it does take longer to cure hard so time will tell.

Will try to post some pictures tomorrow.

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I was finally able to evict the Alumacraft from the garage and get it covered and the Pike has now moved in.

Was able to get some more paint on it today and also got the plywood cut and almost fitted to cover the side flotation boxes. Got the one side cut and fitted then used that for a pattern for the other side only to find the 2 sides are not the same shape. Grrrrr! I'll finish up the fitting tomorrow then seal them up with the "Old Timers Formula". From there it will be finishing up fitting and drilling the transom and the SS cover I'll be putting on it.

Observation on this paint so far. Have noticed it's taking a long time to cure hard as there are spots that still seam to scratch easily. Haven't determined yet if it's the latex on aluminum or if it's the lower temps. I know from experience with this paint that it does take longer to cure hard so time will tell.

Will try to post some pictures tomorrow.

Congrats on getting the SN in the garage! Keep that progress going and dont forget the photos, lol!

Are you planning on painting the exterior of the hull as well or only the interior?

Frey

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Bonz one more question.....The Old Timers Formula, I have it and know what it is, but if you mix it up can you store it for long term use? In other words, can it be used, sealed up, and then used again later?

Thanks!

Frey

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Frey, at one time I mixed up more than I would use and put the leftovers in a glass jar and capped it tight. Now the jar was almost full but it did keep for over a month, it didn't separate or start to kick off and harden. Don't know just how long it would keep under those conditions.

My intention is to also paint the exterior but as of yet I haven't decided on paint, color or application. I have a qt. of Rustoleum Marine Red on hand but am leaning towards a dark flag blue. Would like to spray it but I don't have a lot of room in my garage so I may roll'n tip it.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Nice fit on the side covers how are you finishing them? Painted?

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Bonz, I moved your pix into the previous post and deleted the 'what now' post. Was that the edit you wanted to do?

Your post times werent very fair apart, I think the time limit for edits is still 1hr, so you should have been able to edit.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Bonz, I moved your pix into the previous post and deleted the 'what now' post. Was that the edit you wanted to do?

Your post times werent very fair apart, I think the time limit for edits is still 1hr, so you should have been able to edit.

Thank you very much that is kind of what I wanted to do.

When I went to edit this after I posted it I found that one of the pictures was duplicated and wanted to remove it but when I was in edit there was no code there to remove as there was before this last update. All that appeared was the text and the pictures in the edit pane. Would still like to remove the one duplicate picture.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Nice fit on the side covers how are you finishing them? Painted?

The plan it to seal them up with the "Old Timers Formula" and then cover them with grey marine carpet.

The other modification I plan on is raising the helm 2.5" and moving it forward 1" to give a little more room behind the wheel. AS you can see in the photos there are ribs in the bottom and the seat post base was fitted so that the hole for the base was right in front of the rib. Also because of the depth of the boat and the height of the steering wheel from the deck I had to find a 9" post because with the 11" posts I couldn't get my legs under the wheel. Will add that finding 9" posts was not easy all the stores are now just carrying 11" and 13" posts.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Not that this is exactly related to the work I'm presently doing but I thought that I would post these up. This is the plywood that has been in the Sea Nymph for the past 3+ months that I will use as a testament to the "Old Timers Formula". I had planned on doing this as I started this. I realize that it really has only been a short time, 3 mo., but this was in the boat as-is with no other covering which is why the top side looks a bit rough from use and this has been stored outside in the weather, uncovered in the sun and rain as a test. Yes it is only a short time test, though I figure this is about what this will be exposed to over the course of a season because once finished it will be kept covered. I will be sanding and giving it another coat of spar before it goes back in the boat.

Thoughts, reactions? All will be greatly accepted.

Also doing this because I can't recall anyone ever posting pictures of this nature. Am thinking of doing this again after a couple seasons if I still have this boat because the plywood is so easy to remove and I am curious. .

scipper77

Commander
Fun thread,

I have the 16.X foot foot Pike Attacker in time machine condition (1983 with no real flaws or defects). If you Have any questions or want to see any pictures of how Sea Nymph did anything just let me know. My layout is different however as mine is a tiller setup.