Sea Nymph 17' Deep V.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop again

Re: Prop again

That's CHEAP, you should see what that Ken Cook dude wants for one of his reprints at outboardbooks.

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class
New splash well.

New splash well.

I got to work on my splash well last night, and this morning.
It will be much, much smaller. I'm also mounting it lower than it was. Then I'll build a small deck over all of it except the well itself.

The framing for the deck will add the support that I lost. I'm going to build it from aluminum angle.

Anyhow here's a picture of what I have so far.
Picture 046.jpg

This picture gives an idea of it's size, as compared to the boat.
Picture 049.jpg

I think to finish it, I'm going to continue cutting the long crossmember off, and then riveting it to the front face of the splash well. On the back side. So in the well all you will see are a few rivets.
And then the long crossmember will be flush with the top of the sides of the well

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: New splash well.

Re: New splash well.

Hey that's real cool. Nice work. It's just like what the new ones have so I'm sure it will work out great.

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Transom Boards

Transom Boards

The standard transom thickness is 1.5" right? Two 3/4" boards.

Mine is supposed to be 2"

I've already got my 2 transom boards cut so I think I'm going to just put it together like it was, but at 1-1/2"

I know it's not the best way to do it, but I'm just coating my transom boards in Spar Varnish.
I'm keeping it stored in the garage, or covered when outside, so I think I'll be OK.
I might paint them also.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Transom Boards

Look at Mr. FancyPants Sea Nymph guys with his 2" transom :p

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look at Mr. FancyPants Sea Nymph guys with his 2" transom :p

Only issue I'm having is that this boat had/has no knee braces.
I may add a couple since I'm going to stick with this thinner board. I'll have to add a spacer between the gunnell and the transom boards too, but the corner casting trim will cover it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Interesting. I guess that's why they needed the extra thickness.

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Of course I'm still working on this...:redface:

I'm looking for comments on my livewell drain setup. I was thinking about adding a valve on the aerator pump hose. And run a hose from the valve to a thru-hull. Basically to pump the water out of the livewell, instead of draining.

Not only is the flooring already in place and fastened, but the stringers are also configured in a way that would have made hose routing under floor a PITA.

I guess it will work OK, but won't drain completely.

Also, I don't want to just drain it into the bilge either.

Does anyone else use a pump put for their livewell vs a drain? Hate it, like it, comments?

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Trailers.

Trailers.

Need to make a trailer decision soon.

Keep the one I have or switch to another trailer. Switching will cost nothing as my neighbor will trade even up.

Current Trailer.
Picture091.jpg

The Other Trailer.
2011-04-02 17.02.23.jpg

I'll have the one I use sand blasted.

The current trailer has an advantage in that it is lighter, but especially in that it would be easy to add a swing away tongue. Which I would do.
However, I don't think it's long enough, so I would need to extend it in the rear. I also would want to do a few modifications like built in steps, new fenders, etc.

The "other trailer" will be hard to add a swing-away to. It has larger tires/wheels though (14" vs 13"), built in fenders/steps, and heavier-duty.

I would likely have to modify bunks on this trailer, but would likely do the same to the trailer the boat is on now.

Which would you choose?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailers.

Re: Trailers.

You'd love that low-slung trailer at the ramp.

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Front deck and a few hatch questions.

Front deck and a few hatch questions.

Well yesterday I got the front deck ready to go in. Added some structural aluminum to catch the hatches when they close. I'll add some additional braces that run to the floor.

This boat originally was setup so people could sit up there. I copied the deck layout, but now have to add a middle section.-that is why there is an odd shaped hatch, and one missing-that I still need to make.

Also got the livewell riveted in place on the one end. I used a rubber tape material between the deck and framing. I'm holding the aluminum to the decking with stainless machine screws and riv nuts, or whatever they are called. Basically a knurled washer/nut combo. I'll trim off the extra :D not just leave it.
Before the boat is carpeted, this front deck is going to get padding. I picked up a pack of yoga, or workout mat, tiles, and am going to use those.

Attachments

• Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 0

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Front deck and a few hatch questions.

OK a few questions.

I want add some gas assist struts to the hatch lids. If anyone has experience sizing the length and LB rating of the gas shocks I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas.

Also, I would like to find some water proof switches to wire up in each hatch opening. Kind of like the old cars/trucks had in the door jam. When the hatch opens the switch extends and that turns on the compartment lights, and when the hatch is closed, pushes the switch in, and the lights off.

And finally one more questions. The best place for at least two of my batteries will be up front. Below that oddly shaped front hatch. Not only will they just fit there the best, but it will require less wiring too. I've noticed others voice concern about the batteries being up front.
So my question is will it be OK to mount them that far forward?
I know that Tracker used to on their deep V's around 05' as I had one and it's batteries were approximately right in front of where my livewell is in this boat. I didn't have problems, but I didn't use it much, or have it long.

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

ZERO motivation today to do anything but watch movies. Had a late night last night with the family around the fire, then a movie.

Finally I got restless enough that I had to do something.

So I made another bow casting deck hatch cover.
Picture 017.jpg

Also I have this gas tank. I think it's 24 gallon. Approx 28x14x17
I would sell it to someone doing a rebuild, but would rather trade it away for something smaller.
Picture 018.jpg

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class
trailer.

trailer.

Got the boat on the other trailer. Not a perfect fit, but they never are. Had to cut the side guide on bunks off, and still need to adjust the bunks. Oddly enough the wood on the bunks was like new so w/new carpet I'll reuse it.

Some sandblasting, paint/wheels etc, plus some adjusting and it'll be a nice trailer. I hope anyway.
Picture 026.jpg
Picture 023.jpg
rsz_picture_025.jpg
rsz_picture_024.jpg

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: trailer.

I have a 1978 16' Fish and Ski Seanymph that has basically the same hull. Your hull has many small details that look just like my hull. Very shallow V and not much to knock the spray down. it is a great boat but very wet ride! Put Smart Tabs on it....they made the boat get on plane very fast with great stability. It has a 70 chrysler and does 36mph with a 17p prop, and is rated for a 90hp.

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Put Smart Tabs on it....they made the boat get on plane very fast with great stability. It has a 70 chrysler and does 36mph with a 17p prop, and is rated for a 90hp.

Was planning on it....Not really smart tabs, but they are some aluminum tabs that came on the boat that had the engine on it....Same principal.

I'd be more than happy with that speed. As long as it will get on plane relatively easy, and can run a little over 30mph, I'm good with that.

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Trolling motor mount

Trolling motor mount

So I had a Minn Kota Powerdrive but it was 12v 54lb thrust, 48" shaft. Traded it for a 24v 67lb thrust Motorguide with 60" shaft.

Issue is though, compared to the powerdrive the mount is HUGE.
Picture 054.jpg

To fit on the bow, and NOT be on top of that aluminum trim, it has to be at a steep angle. Steep enough that when stowed, the motor does not run down the gunnell of the boat.

I have thought of adding a carpeted board, just big enough for the mount to sit on, so that the mount sits above the metal trim.

I'm open to other ideas though!