Sea Nymph 17' Deep V.

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been on here for a short while reading a bunch. I was originally looking at a Starcraft Jet, that was local to me.

I wanted to build a fishing first, family boat second boat.
After posting a want ad for a Deep V hull, I drove the hour away and bought this. I believe it is a Sea Nymph. The only markings on the boat I have found is the serial number, and Sea Nymph on the steering wheel.

Here are a few pictures.b9.jpgPicture 085.jpg

No motor-though I have a deal worked out and will got get it next week-A 65HP Johnson.
The trailer needs work but has potential. I like that it is a cradle style that the boat sets down into.

The interior of the boat is a basket case. In fact I removed it up to the consoles earlier today. Water logged flotation foam, two decks, both rotten, and removed with a claw hammer, and bare hands...Much of it was shoveled out.

I'll post pictures later today of the pile of garbage that is the interior. And of the progress inside the boat.

Attachments

• IMAG0028.JPG_src=.jpg
    IMAG0028.JPG_src=.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 0

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Sea Nypmh 17' Deep V.

It looks like an older Sea Nymph,....Maybe look up the horse power rating for it or find it on the plate if it is still there,....

I think a 65 would be a little week on that boat,...A 90 would move it out much better,...

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I've got a question already.

The boat has a VHF antenna and I would like to keep it.

The antenna cable is routed through in a few places, and the holes are JUST big enough to fit the able through.

Can I cut the cable, and then splice an end onto it later? Or, can the screw on end of the cable be removed so I can get the cable out, and then splice it back on?

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are some pictures of the interior!!

Picture088.jpg

Picture089.jpg

Picture091.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Great project, can't wait to see what you do with it!

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm going to turn into a fishing boat first, and family boat 2nd.

I'm getting rid of the bow rails, the walk-thru windshield and the port console. This will open up the floor quite a bit.

I'm going to extend the front back rearward to the end of the starboard console.
Rod locker on the port side under the gunel. This will probably have to extend out into the boat just a little.
A livewell in the front deck (in the area it is extended)

I'm also thinking about building a rear fishing deck with fold up jumpseats like some of the newer boats are using.

And of course a re-paint, and new carpet, install my fishfinder, trolling motor, and some other parts I have.

For now the short term plans are to get it cleaned all the way out, (foam up front- and stbd console left) and get it in the garage. Then prep it for gluvit.

Which brings me to a question. Should I do all the work I need to do inside the boat before applying the gluvit? Will it be OK to walk around in the bare hull after gluvit is applied?

Should I do all my deck patterns first?

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

I'm going to turn into a fishing boat first, and family boat 2nd.

I'm getting rid of the bow rails, the walk-thru windshield and the port console(these are good for family needs). This will open up the floor quite a bit.(for what?)

I'm going to extend the front back rearward to the end of the starboard console.(you can make storage hatches while maintaining a family bow and a casting platform)
Rod locker on the port side under the gunel. This will probably have to extend out into the boat just a little.(get vertical holders)
A livewell in the front deck (is only needed for tournament fishing, food needs cooler/or release for sport)

I'm also thinking about building a rear fishing deck with fold up jumpseats like some of the newer boats are using.(good idea)

And of course a re-paint, and new carpet, install my fishfinder, trolling motor, and some other parts I have.

For now the short term plans are to get it cleaned all the way out, (foam up front- and stbd console left) and get it in the garage. Then prep it for gluvit.

Which brings me to a question. Should I do all the work I need to do inside the boat before applying the gluvit?(test each rivet) Will it be OK to walk around in the bare hull after gluvit is applied?(after it cures)

Should I do all my deck patterns first?
NO, the template is rotted, you will need to get in the hull for measuring and adjustment fitting, don't cut the VHF cable, just pull it back to the mount and store it

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

So should I make my patterns before applying the gluvit?

As for the cable, I can't pull it back to the mount. It is routed through a few holes, and there isn't room to pull the end that screws to the radio through it. Not even close. It's like they ran the cable, then spliced the radio end onto.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I believe you can cut the connector off the vhf cable. I got a radio and antenae for xmas and the end gets put on after the cable is run. I have done some gluvit on my SS and if it's fully cured you won't harm it, so it shouldn't matter when you do it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Hmmm looks like a first cousin to our Starcraft SS hull. Gluvit will take absolutely 24-72 hrs to cure fully depending on the temperature. It is great (the best) to seal up all the rivets and seams below the waterline.

You can dance on it if you like once it is cured. To make the proper patterns for the decking I would recommend a huge piece of cardboard for the bow section. ALL of us that have done the bow have cut...fit trimmed and fit and trimmed and fit and trimmed and fit .....you will get it but it will be allot of fitting. :D

Yes you can cut the connector off the antenna and a new one can be soldered on. I doubt you will re-use the connector. See if there are any local Ham radio operators in your area and I am sure they will help you. Have the cable inspected and it may have to be replaced too.

Great looking hull a true blank slate......... have fun!

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmm looks like a first cousin to our Starcraft SS hull. Gluvit will take absolutely 24-72 hrs to cure fully depending on the temperature. It is great (the best) to seal up all the rivets and seams below the waterline.

You can dance on it if you like once it is cured. To make the proper patterns for the decking I would recommend a huge piece of cardboard for the bow section. ALL of us that have done the bow have cut...fit trimmed and fit and trimmed and fit and trimmed and fit .....you will get it but it will be allot of fitting. :D

Yes you can cut the connector off the antenna and a new one can be soldered on. I doubt you will re-use the connector. See if there are any local Ham radio operators in your area and I am sure they will help you. Have the cable inspected and it may have to be replaced too.

Great looking hull a true blank slate......... have fun!

Luckily I was able to get one side of the bow board out in one piece. The other side was shot though.
I'll have to modify the pattern a little, because it will extend farther back than the stock board. I'll bet I'll be glad to have the part I do have though. The starboard side will stay the same size, and I can just flip over the port side and use that as a template.

Ya, I really thought it was a Starcraft when I got the first picture. The only difference I could tell when looking at it, is the very front of the boat at the bow where the two sides are joined is different. It 'might' have a smaller splash well too. Otherwise I can't tell the difference.

Thanks for the info on the antennae cable.

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Reinforcing Gunnell

Reinforcing Gunnell

Got a question.....
Gunnell reinforcement.

Any tips or ideas?
I have four of the nice polished pop up cleats, and two smaller pop up cleats. I want to install all of these. Also might re-install the one Anchormate in the back where it is now.
Also want to install some flush mount rod holders that I have.
I would like the option of installing a Bert's Tackle rail system, and a couple small manual down riggers.

I'm going to be using the middle smaller cleats for drift sock use.

As the boat is now the gunnell is only thin aluminum. I wouldn't feel good about installing or using any of that without some sort of reinforcement.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: Reinforcing Gunnell

Got a question.....
Gunnell reinforcement.

Any tips or ideas?
I have four of the nice polished pop up cleats, and two smaller pop up cleats. I want to install all of these. Also might re-install the one Anchormate in the back where it is now.
Also want to install some flush mount rod holders that I have.
I would like the option of installing a Bert's Tackle rail system, and a couple small manual down riggers.

I'm going to be using the middle smaller cleats for drift sock use.

As the boat is now the gunnell is only thin aluminum. I wouldn't feel good about installing or using any of that without some sort of reinforcement.

I know with all the rod holders and downriggers that will be mounted on my rig reinforcement is a must. My plan is to run 1/2" Arauco plywood that is sealed up with epoxy around the whole gunwale perimeter (underneath obviously). I plan to double up (making 1" thick) in the criticle areas (downriggers, cleats).

Have fun man!

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know with all the rod holders and downriggers that will be mounted on my rig reinforcement is a must. My plan is to run 1/2" Arauco plywood that is sealed up with epoxy around the whole gunwale perimeter (underneath obviously). I plan to double up (making 1" thick) in the criticle areas (downriggers, cleats).

Have fun man!

I was hoping to not have to do that.....But in the end I just might.

See, I'm worried if I just back each item, that the gunnel will distort at the edges of the plywood. Maybe backing the entire thing is the only way to prevent that.

Or is that a concern I shouldn't have?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I was hoping to not have to do that.....But in the end I just might.

See, I'm worried if I just back each item, that the gunnel will distort at the edges of the plywood. Maybe backing the entire thing is the only way to prevent that.

Or is that a concern I shouldn't have?

I know on my gunwales the po had backer plates that were just outside the screws. Two of the rod holders bent the aluminum pretty darn good.

You surely don't need to do the whole gunwale, bigger sections would work fine. For me, I just figured it would be easier and stronger to do long runs of plywood than a whole bunch of smaller ones. Knowwhattamean?:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

LonLB I'm glad you ended up getting that rig, I like it and Bob is right about it having some Starcraft DNA:D

Sounds like you know exactly what you want to do with the new setup, so good luck to ya! Sounds like a good plan, lots of similarities to the SC restos so let us know if you have questions:)

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks HA,
I was hoping to be a Starcraft tag along, since there are so many of you guys and you all have been there done that.

There are some great resto's in that section, and that is what inspired me to go ahead and search out a deep V boat. My want ad on Craigslist actually said that I prefer a Starcraft.:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Just for reference, this is my dad's 17' Sea Nymph Fishing Machine. It's a 1989 and is setup pretty much like what you described.

The sides are pretty low on this model, as it's more or less a bass/panfish rig.

We also owned a '86 Sea Nymph that was a 20 footer and set up like the SS model with a walk-thru windshield. Very good boats and well-worth restoring.:)

DSCF3068.jpg

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wish I knew for sure what this one was. There isn't a Capacity tag, and I'm going by what the guy told me, and by the steering wheel.

If I knew for sure what it was I could at least try to look up the HP rating and capacities.

He didn't have a title or registration, just a bill of sale from the guy he bought it from. The guy I bought it from never did register it, or use it.

My brother bought a 97 S/N FM 161 back in the day, and it's been a good boat to him. I actually have caught quite a few fish out of it too.:cool:

Huron Angler

Admiral

What's on that data plate on the portside stern? You can see it in the photo.

There may be some numbers on there that have been painted over...that might tell you the year.