SCIENCE SPECULATION.....

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Great discussion. But, going back to the initial post - I enjoy those programs too. Sure there's some science in there, some speculation, and certainly some showmanship - they have to have a program that "sells". That's OK. I figure that's my cost for being able to see these programs. I try to filter out what's real info, from what isn't - and I get to decide (for myself).

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I kind of use the filter of the 5 senses to determine what's real. I know there are more senses but they don't fall under science, which is repeatable. Sometimes history gets confused as science but history is a one time event. Repeat-ability in history is only in the sense of similarities with differences.

Science is a huge field. Most of what we do is based upon science.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I kind of use the filter of the 5 senses to determine what's real. I know there are more senses but they don't fall under science, which is repeatable. Sometimes history gets confused as science but history is a one time event. Repeat-ability in history is only in the sense of similarities with differences.

Science is a huge field. Most of what we do is based upon science.
Yes it is a BIG field!! I'm not easily impressed, but when I look at the simple mechanical laws behind the complexity of an outboard motor, I am amazed at the ingenuity of design to make this thing work. And science has made it all possible...

History repeats itself when/if we didn't learn the first time! :lol:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yes it is a BIG field!! I'm not easily impressed, but when I look at the simple mechanical laws behind the complexity of an outboard motor, I am amazed at the ingenuity of design to make this thing work. And science has made it all possible...

History repeats itself when/if we didn't learn the first time! :lol:

jrttoday, If history repeats itself, is that synonymous with practice makes perfect?

StarTed

I don't buy the concept that history repeats itself. My take on it is that people make it appear to do that by doing the same dumb things over and over. That's not history, it's on the way to the funny farm. Too many people spend too much time looking backwards.

I like to say that it's kind of like driving a car. We need to spend more time looking forward and less in the rear view mirror. Progress is made by moving forward.

We live in the present, plan for the future and learn from the past. Learn quickly;)

Here's something to think about. Where was the man when he jumped off the bridge?

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I had to give up on my perfectionism and just accept "it is what it is" - not meaning not trying to do my best. IMHO, many do not spend enough time assessing their past.
"A life unexamined is a wasted life"- I believe we are here to learn, and not about science; of course, there may be a "science" to relationships.
As to your question, it kinda depends on which bridge!! :lol:

foodfisher

Captain
Here's something to think about. Where was the man when he jumped off the bridge?[/QUOTE]
After much deep thought and perusing history, my guess would be - on the bridge - .

StarTed

On the bridge. That would be before he jumped.

It's kind of like what is now. I'd say it's a moment without time. Time makes it either past or future.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hope he's not jumping off the bridge over the river called "what is now" because that IS deep!! lol

StarTed

It doesn't matter if the river is deep. With our temperatures there could be ice. Probably would break and then where is the hole?

That could make living in the past.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
not sure if I can tell this right? but, "there was this butthole sitting at the bar whining about his life saying he would jump off a bridge to end it all... but was afraid it would hurt and not kill him." Guy next to him says, "I know a bridge you can jump off safely!!" :lol:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Sounds like you guys have some bad leftover eggnog..........:madgrin:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sounds like you guys have some bad leftover eggnog..........:madgrin:
are you speculating? lol
actually, thanks for the redirect. Been 27yrs since I've had any... but still get a little loopy this time of year, maybe all year! lol
Way too much stress lately and just taking a mental vacation in some respects. Like they say, don't sweat the small stuff... and it's all small stuff.
Levity or levitation! :lol:

Last edited:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
then all we have is right now. Yesterday is history and tomorrow's a mystery; today is a gift and that's why it's called the present. The favoring scientific belief is about the Big Bang; that there was this huge mass exploding into what is now the Universe.
How did this mass form? What was there before....?

StarTed

jrttoday - What was there before....?

I don't buy the Big Bang Theory. My feeling is that it has always been here/there but is just in transition. Time in the Universe scale is different from time in our scale. Having studied and enjoy Horology and still have the tools I've worked with such time since my high school years.

The Big Bang Theory is needed because astronomers need something to use to move on until a more accurate theory can be found. Math doesn't like working without numbers. Something needs to be used to calculate the expansion of the universe. My feeling is that the matter/energy have always been here//there and is always in transition. That said, a number like infinity doesn't work well in equations so a sufficiently large number had to be selected to use in their equations. After all, we got along OK with slide rules at one time (3 significant digits). Now to shoot space shots to Pluto and beyond we need better accuracy and resolution.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
And where did that matter come from? Had to come from somewhere....... We probably should steer clear about discussing the Big Bang. There's usually 2 sides to how the Universe was created and both sides stand firm in their beliefs.... Best to let that subject die......

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
StarTed I'm with you on all that; and they do need a reason to keep their jobs lol. But i'm grateful for much of what they do. Who knows what they may discover next to help humanity - keep on searching IMHO