SCIENCE SPECULATION.....

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm guessing by now many of us have taken up residence on the couch, easy chair, or the like? As an old construction worker, the floor or a bucket will do :lol:
I'd rather be on the H2O, but occasionally watch the H2 Discovery channel and usually about our Universe. It's interesting and have always had interest in Outer Space - not that there isn't enough on Earth I find of interest.

We all choose what to believe and what not to believe, but their narration sounds a bit hokey to me. Not being cynical, but after all of these years of study and exploration, they still sound like they haven't a clue or even know what they are looking for. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for all science has provided us. But come on, really, they are trying to figure out a way to move the Earth further in orbit from the Sun.

They say, in five million years, the Sun will begin its death and be so hot, we need be further away. LOL

Tyme2fish

Commander
I misread that the first time and thought you wrote 1 million years. Had me scared for a minute!!

NYBo

Admiral
Actually, the prediction is 5 billion years before the sun goes all red giant on our butts. So there's still time for another boat trip or two.

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
They cant get the 15 day forcast write little lone whats going to take place in 5 billion years lol

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well a million years had me worried, then 5 million made me relax a little, but 5 billion years, I'm pretty sure I would have the boat project finished by then...:noidea:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I wonder if there is going to be a mad rush now for suntan lotion?????? Just think of the SPF rating...........:flame:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
billion or million years, you guys are nuts right now! Didn't waste space on my DVR to watch again cos I record the weather channel every day - so's I can see what I missed while working outside!! And it never matches what I think the weather was like for that day :lol:

But these geniuses are talking about going out and "catching" a large asteroid, bringing it back, and putting it into an oscillating kind of orbit around Earth - that it causes the Earth to gradually move away from the Sun. I think they'd have a better odds catching a Blue Whale on a cane pole and cricket; putting it in Sea World and teaching it tricks!! :lol:

stock tip - buy up all the Coppertone and Banana Boat shares you can

tpenfield

Staff member
I thought it was 5 bazillion years, but I'm not sure how long that will be. Anyway, we will use the force to save us.

FlaCowboy

Ensign
As an old construction worker, the floor or a bucket will do :lol:

JR I was sitting on a bucket today at work...yes...I also do construction...:facepalm:

I think alot of the folks that do these studies get guberment grants to do these studies so they have to come up with sumthing to talk about...whether it is right or wrong...because...none of us can say it is not true...we just sit on our buckets and listen...:pop2: :D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I know we are not supposed to but after we sit on the bucket we use it for a scaffold ...
I think if we all drive our SUV's on the wrong side of the road we might be able reverse the earths polarity or something and save the planet for the children ...
5 billion years is really not that far away .. We better hurry ! :eek:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
was sitting on a bucket today at work...yes...I also do construction....
one of my faves and can be switched to designate any craft "how do you tell an electrician's age? Count the bucket rings in his a**"
As a pipe welder, it fits!!

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've been watching the "Astronomy Picture of the Day" every morning when I have my computer. It's interesting and the pictures are great. Now that I'm retired 5 billion years doesn't worry me. I live in a flood zone. A good friend looked around at these scab lands and asked if I had flood insurance. The Lake Missoula floods scoured this area 10.000 years ago so I know it is a flood zone but I still refuse to purchase flood insurance. I'm on a small basalt bluff.

All those galaxies out there have large numbers attached to them followed by the term "light years". What if they happen to be off a year?

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
if we all drive our SUV's on the wrong side of the road we might be able reverse the earths polarity or something and save the planet for the children ...
I heard long ago that we've removed so much iron from Mother Earth and repositioned it in the form of bridges, buildings and other structures that we have changed the magnetic field's position to some small? extent. Studies studies yeah, they have to say something in order to keep getting money...

dwco5051

Commander
I heard long ago that we've removed so much iron from Mother Earth and repositioned it in the form of bridges, buildings and other structures that we have changed the magnetic field's position to some small? extent. Studies studies yeah, they have to say something in order to keep getting money...

Not a far fetched as one may think. The magnetic variation for where I live has changed by 3 degrees since when I first started flying.

A neat calculator for finding historical variation in an area is available at;

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag-web/#declination

The magnetic north pole is moving now at a rate of about 40 miles a year. Not due to mining but a shifting of the molten iron in the earth's core. Google it and see what problems this is causing.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
The magnetic poles not only move, they periodically reverse. Better not be relying on a compass in restricted visibility when that happens!

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The magnetic poles not only move, they periodically reverse. Better not be relying on a compass in restricted visibility when that happens!
I usually flip a coin for right or left, then forward or reverse!! :lol:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
and am finding the new technology great for some, maybe. Recently bought voice recognition software cos I no typa so well... Had to return it because I kept getting an error message. Apparently, it didn't recognize my Carolina accent as English!! :facepalm: :lol:

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Are these the same people that believe that people on earth and not the sun makes the earths temperature rise?