RWD Tow Vehicle Launch Issues?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Sore Thumb Beach on Jones Beach Island NY. Starting on hills = torque converter slippage....
Ah, the good ole' "sore thumb"!
I haven't heard that name in years.
And the obi! (Oak Beach Inn).
We used to fish out there back in the 70's and 80's. Buckets and buckets of flounder and puffers too. We called the puffers chicken of the sea because when you cooked them, they looked like chicken drumsticks.
We lived on Staten Island and knew a guy that lived there. We would park in his driveway and Portage our gear out to the jetty.
On some occasions we'd see seals there.
At one point they dredged the waters and fishing wasn't so good anymore, but that was years ago.
Good times.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I do the resperator/fit testing at my work. (Asbestos among other things)We use a bitterant smoker and have this paragraph to read. You would not believe how hard it is to keep a good seal to a face. You know when the subject breaks seal due to coughing and crying. Paper mask filters just limit the volume of contamination. There is always bypass. And as the the filter gets dirty or moist the bypass increases. Covid virus is similar to asbestos in the way it behaves so the floating airborne stuff will get thru.
BTDT. In the 2010's we were subject to carcinogen chemicals so the fit testing was rigorous. The rule was we had to change cartridge filters daily.

Back in the 1970's, when our exposure WAS asbestos, we were given paper masks. The rest of THAT story is that the amount of zillion dollar lawsuits is what put the company into bankruptcy.

I have to laugh when someone posts a video of an airplane disaster. 100% of the passengers are wearing the mask, but 90% have their nose sticking out.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
...only if the 4H is full time...with an interaxle differential. Else you're putting a strain on the entire driveline and tires, especially on curves and turns.
Our old Durango 5.2 would top a long steep paved hill doing the "I think I can" wheezing. Thinking I was smart I started pulling over and put the gearbox in 4L to get the extra granny gear torque. It worked fine except before long the silent chain in the New Process tranfser case began slipping in 4L.
Lesson learned after a new silent chain and drive pinion which I replaced. Even on a straight road front and rear axles want to do their own thing. OK for sand and slippery surfaces. Not so much when the tires are glued to the pavement.
Wasn't talking about being in 4WD..just talking about regular towing.

harringtondav

Commander
Pretty near 2 miles . . . from the ramp to the house. Else I woulda got a F-250 Diesel 🤪
My theory is you can push rated towing capacity a bit if you're careful. Engine and drivetrain capacity are based on daily towing at max load through the warranty period. (From my 30+ yrs with Deere working with the drivetrain reliability group).
GVRW and related braking capacity and handling are in the hands of a savvy driver who knows what safe speed means.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I’m likely open season, fair game and might regret this…but feeling brave…
Would it be terribly offensive if I suggested that us European chaps…perhaps think our fellow boaters from North America…might just go a little overboard or OTT with the seemingly enormous tow vehicles?
I get it’s a different thing over there. But to tow your average 18ft inboard bowrider…I’ve read often, advice given suggesting that no less than what would appear to be on a par with a monster truck, will be sufficient!
Don’t get me wrong…if I was over there…let there be no doubt…I’d be doing the same 😂. But the reality here is that I have towed my heavier than most 18ft (4000 lbs on a trailer at its lighter dry weight) with my bmw 530d GT no problems. Even use my wee Honda CR-V for it too.
Anyway. Just a thought.

harringtondav

Commander
Would it be terribly offensive if I suggested that us European chaps…perhaps think our fellow boaters from North America…might just go a little overboard or OTT with the seemingly enormous tow vehicles?
I get it’s a different thing over there. But to tow your average 18ft inboard bowrider…I’ve read often, advice given suggesting that no less than what would appear to be on a par with a monster truck, will be sufficient!
Don’t get me wrong…if I was over there…let there be no doubt…I’d be doing the same 😂. But the reality here is that I have towed my heavier than most 18ft (4000 lbs on a trailer at its lighter dry weight) with my bmw 530d GT no problems. Even use my wee Honda CR-V for it too.
Anyway. Just a thought.
If one knows what they are doing they can push things. If they don't they may find themselves in deep do-do.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Anyway. Just a thought.
No need for regrets. You may have just hit it spot on.

Madison Avenue controls a lot of what happens here because WAY too many people believe them. The auto issues are driven by Detroit, who are just in it to make a lot of money.

Driving F350 dualeys is a sign of masculinity, or in a lot of cases that's the perception.

The truth is that not everyone subscribes to the bigger the better concept. With common sense anyone can be safe. The real problem is that common sense was lost in the shuffle many years ago.

So, I'd say you are in good company. So now I'm fare game. Let the flames begin.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
No need for regrets. You may have just hit it spot on.

Madison Avenue controls a lot of what happens here because WAY too many people believe them. The auto issues are driven by Detroit, who are just in it to make a lot of money.

Driving F350 dualeys is a sign of masculinity, or in a lot of cases that's the perception.

The truth is that not everyone subscribes to the bigger the better concept. With common sense anyone can be safe. The real problem is that common sense was lost in the shuffle many years ago.

So, I'd say you are in good company. So now I'm fare game. Let the flames begin.
No doubt you’re spot on there Jim. Sounds about right. I’ve towed the same boat with the LR discovery I used to have and no doubt it’s more comfortable with that car being heavier than the rig I’m towing..low ratio helped with things too I’m sure…but I’d also say that should it be required, the bmw would almost certainly brake far better in an emergency. Anyway. Just an observation perhaps.

tpenfield

Staff member
It was not until I recently owned a P/U Truck that I realized why Detroit seems to love making them (and in turn makes many people feel like they need to own one). Those things seem to be butt-simple to build . . . a very classic auto-industry build, typical of the 1950's-1960's. Body on frame, solid rear axle, etc.

harringtondav

Commander
It was not until I recently owned a P/U Truck that I realized why Detroit seems to love making them (and in turn makes many people feel like they need to own one). Those things seem to be butt-simple to build . . . a very classic auto-industry build, typical of the 1950's-1960's. Body on frame, solid rear axle, etc.
I bought our 2019 Ranger to replace our 21 yr old Durango which had a 5.2L V8 and topped a serious hill at 20 mph floored and seemed ready to die from COPD.
The 2.3L I4 turbo Ranger w/10 spd trans tops it at 45 mph (speed limit 40) in 6th gear/2300 rpm with a 1000# heavier rig behind it. I only bought as much truck as I needed, and got it. I see big new P/Us with virgin paint on the hitch receiver. Seems overkill in my mind. But I guess there is some he-man image value.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
My personal preference for towing is a Hemi powered Grand Cherokee. Comfort just big enough and rated to tow over 7000 lbs. Excellent 4x4 system. Pick ups are great for hauling stuff but my parking situation is just too small for one…

WIMUSKY

Staff member
My personal preference for towing is a Hemi powered Grand Cherokee. Comfort just big enough and rated to tow over 7000 lbs. Excellent 4x4 system. Pick ups are great for hauling stuff but my parking situation is just too small for one…
Really liked the 6.4 hemi I had in my 2500. Now it looks like they replaced it with a supercharger 6.2..... Always had a v-8 since my 1st vehicle, '70 C10... Will always have a v-8 in a pickup... Unless I'm forced otherwise.....

tpenfield

Staff member
I bought our 2019 Ranger to replace our 21 yr old Durango which had a 5.2L V8 and topped a serious hill at 20 mph floored and seemed ready to die from COPD.
The 2.3L I4 turbo Ranger w/10 spd trans tops it at 45 mph (speed limit 40) in 6th gear/2300 rpm with a 1000# heavier rig behind it. I only bought as much truck as I needed, and got it. I see big new P/Us with virgin paint on the hitch receiver. Seems overkill in my mind. But I guess there is some he-man image value.
You know, I had not seen many Ranger trucks over the past 5 years until recently now that the new F-150's were pushing $80K o_O

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I still see a fair number of the original Ranger pick ups around and they appear to be one of the better trucks Ford built, most of then not even rusted and are all more than 20 years old!

matt167

Captain
I have a ‘21 Ranger STX. 25mpg highway, towing my little boat it doesn’t even feel it and even towing a severely water logged 16’ 4 winns freedom home, it didn’t really effect it much. 7,500 lbs tow capacity. Still I put it in 4x4 at the ramp but only because doing so locks the front wheels up to the rear which has the E brake so it’s just extra level of protection