rotten plywood transom

floflodr

Seaman Apprentice
bad awakening after i started to replace the floor i found out that my transom is practically gone, please see the pics attached for a good laugh.

the boat seemed to had 2 plywoods glued together as transom, can anyone tell me if plywood is really the way to go, or if i should just get some solid single piece of wood as replacement ?

the boat is a 16.5 center console with a 90HP johnson

Attachments

• transom1.JPG
    transom1.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 0
  • transom2.JPG
    transom2.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: rotten plywood transom

can anyone tell me if plywood is really the way to go,

Ayuh,..... That IS the way to go......

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Wow, that's nasty looking. Hardest part replacing it will be getting the old/solid pieces out...if there are any. Use plywood panels, bonded and screwed together. Cut them so they are cross-grained, for more strength. Several threads on this with pix, just search this forum.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

this is an 18' trihull open boat. it did not have splash well.

Attachments

• transom 001.JPG
    transom 001.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 0
  • transom 002.JPG
    transom 002.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 0
  • ready for glass 001.JPG
    ready for glass 001.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 0
  • ready for glass 002.JPG
    ready for glass 002.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 0

all yeah boy

Seaman

Nice transom... I am going to make mine this weekend, and have a question about the drain plug. It looks like you cut out around the plug rather then drill a hole and replace it. Think it is the way to go? I am afraid that if I drill a hole in the transom wood and replace the plug I won't seal it well and my boat will sink!

I will have to drill other holes for the motor mounts and depth finder. I plan on sealing the interior of the holes with expoy.
But would like to avoid dealing with the drain plug.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I am afraid that if I drill a hole in the transom wood and replace the plug I won't seal it well and my boat will sink!

dont sweat it.....just make SURE it seals....its easy.

before you install any thru hull peices...seal the wood first (cause thats where the rot starts). then add the item then seal that!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

then when you install the fittings, motor mount bolts, anything else use 3M-4200 sealer.

Coors

Captain

Drill 1/16" bigger, then seal the inside of the hole with your choice of nasty.

reelfishin

Captain

this is an 18' trihull open boat. it did not have splash well.

I like what you did with the custom spashwell in those pics, I am about to start on a 16' boat that has a pretty much worthless glass splashwell that adds no support to the boat at all. I think I may do something along those lines but with a few lower gussets to reinforce the transom even a bit more.

Ride The Lightning

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi,

slice the transom, respectively the laminate from the inside. Its easier to remove all of the rotten wood then.
After that make sure that the surface where you glue the plywood later on at is with minimum urprisings by using abrasive sandpaper.
Drill exactly underneath the transom some holes which makes the resin discharging better later.
Do not use flowing but viscous resin. You get that when you mix the resin with ballons, its like a putty then. The plywood must fit in strongly. If you did your job well, it should look like this:)

Regards,
Lars

Attachments

• spiegel.jpg
    spiegel.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 0
  • spiegel2.jpg
    spiegel2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 0

floflodr

Seaman Apprentice

i started to cut the transom today but that thing is huge and i cannot get 2 cross-grained pieces as i can only cut the wood in its length, not the wide, would it be recommendable to make the transom of a total of 3 pieces, 1 big piece + two cross-grained pieces on top of that for more strength ?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

im not sure im following you.......

what kind of saw are you using that you cant cut the whole transom....

you need 2 sheets of 4x8 ply.......(possibly three depending on thickness)...dont forget to add the thickness of glass to your transom...

just laminate them togeather.....using fiberglass matt...(my choice)...some people just glue them togeather and some people use cabosil alone.....

if you read the last part of the hull extension thread...it has picks of what i did to mine....building it totally from ground up

cheers
oops

TriadSteeler

Petty Officer 1st Class

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=184482#17

Here is a post of mine with lots of pics and instructions from my transom installation. It may be of some help.

Both of the drain plug holes as well as the stern eye holes can serve a purpose. Drill all of them out when you are installing the transom. I did this and threaded some bolts with large washers thru them when sealing the new transom to the stern. It is a great way to supplement your clamps and get a nice tight bond to the rear skin.

jeff akin

Cadet

I am doing my transom now and I just cut out the rotten wood. Before I buy several sheets of exterior plywood to use I am curious is they're no synthetic alternative to wood: Many many layers of roven woven and mat? or some other type of syn panel that would be better?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Jeff...
Best to start your own thread and post your questions..

This is what is known as "Hi-Jacking a Thread", and we do not negotiate with Hi-jackers"...lol...kiddin w/ya..

You will be better served and wont confuse everyone that is trying to help this guy.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i started to cut the transom today but that thing is huge and i cannot get 2 cross-grained pieces as i can only cut the wood in its length, not the wide, would it be recommendable to make the transom of a total of 3 pieces, 1 big piece + two cross-grained pieces on top of that for more strength ?

Don't worry about the cross-grained thing. Just cut your pieces and bond them with fiberglass mat and epoxy. It'll never come apart.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't worry about the cross-grained thing. Just cut your pieces and bond them with fiberglass mat and epoxy. It'll never come apart.

I just noticed I resurrected an old thread. Woops.