Rinkerbuilt Project

tburda

Seaman
Re: Rinkerbuilt Project

RB78,

Boat looks great! about the same day you brought yours home, I brought home a 79 19' inboard.

Sounds like when they put in the new carpet, they laid that ply ontop of the old floor. Mine was only the single layer of floor with fiberglass.

I'm planning a temporary gantry system to pull my cap, but the only part that I need to pull the cap for is directly under the bow, so depending on timeframe, I might wait until next year. There wasnt quite as many objects in my boat, but it was a flthy mess in the bilge and under the floor just like yours, check out the link in my signature, you'll see I had trees starting to grow in mine.

Mr Clean Magic Erasers are the best. Used them to restore some white vinyl in a friends boat and clean off some oxidation. They're awesome and they've got a permanant stock area in my garage.

I'm excited to see the projects progress together now!

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Honestly you will want to clean up that power trim and make sure you get it clean. Those things are expensive. They are rebuildable and as long as you take care of them and prime it corectly it will last for a long time. I rebuilt mine with $4 brushes from Napa about a month ago and its the orignal pump and motor.

Good to see your still trucking along. Keep it up, splash before the summer is over.

Sad to say I won't be splashing this summer. My target date is next July. I consider that a realistic target, given my work and home schedules. No helping hands available, so I'll just plod along as I can.

Yes, I've been pricing replacements for the power trim - absurd what people want for them. So, I'll work with what I have at hand. Pretty certain one of the cylinders is blown, though. Could be a winter project for me.

Thanks for maintaining an interest in my project. Your advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

RB78,

Boat looks great! about the same day you brought yours home, I brought home a 79 19' inboard.

Sounds like when they put in the new carpet, they laid that ply ontop of the old floor. Mine was only the single layer of floor with fiberglass.

I'm planning a temporary gantry system to pull my cap, but the only part that I need to pull the cap for is directly under the bow, so depending on timeframe, I might wait until next year. There wasnt quite as many objects in my boat, but it was a flthy mess in the bilge and under the floor just like yours, check out the link in my signature, you'll see I had trees starting to grow in mine.

Mr Clean Magic Erasers are the best. Used them to restore some white vinyl in a friends boat and clean off some oxidation. They're awesome and they've got a permanant stock area in my garage.

I'm excited to see the projects progress together now!

Same situation. My floor is rotted up under the bow. Between that and the transom, no choice but to pull the cap. My cap will be sitting on a stand in the garage. It will remain in the garage through the winter. It will be at floor level, so I'll have an opportunity here and there to do some work on it before returning it to the hull next spring. All of the dash instruments are being replaced, so the dash will require re-work.

The hull will be parked at my GF's son's house for the winter. Need the driveway space for vehicle parking - snow days when you can't park in the street. Such is life in the city ...

One curious thing about my boat is the stringer glass. The fiberglass is in excellent shape throughout, but sounds & feels hollow when tapped. Does yours?

I've been told (by some local boat shops) that I can re-use the empty fiberglass forms. Cut the caps off, clean them out, seat in the new wood stringers, then re-cap with new glass. Haven't gotten to that point as of yet. It will be my plan of approach unless one of the guys here says otherwise.

It's going to be fun watching these two boats come back to life together.

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

IT'S FINALLY OFF!!!

P7300015.jpg

What a PITA that was. Whoever put those rods in must have used 3M5200. It's all the way through the transom.

P7300014.jpg

One rod left to go, but too tired to deal with it today. Have to be at work at 3:30 a.m. - will deal with it Wednesday.

Right now the motor is hanging out in my garage:

P7300018.jpg

These bolts need replacing, as well

P7300019.jpg

Should have my heat gun in this week. Will need to soften the bumper in order to pull it out. That should be a lot of laughs ...

tburda

Seaman

Same situation. My floor is rotted up under the bow. Between that and the transom, no choice but to pull the cap. My cap will be sitting on a stand in the garage. It will remain in the garage through the winter. It will be at floor level, so I'll have an opportunity here and there to do some work on it before returning it to the hull next spring. All of the dash instruments are being replaced, so the dash will require re-work.

The hull will be parked at my GF's son's house for the winter. Need the driveway space for vehicle parking - snow days when you can't park in the street. Such is life in the city ...

One curious thing about my boat is the stringer glass. The fiberglass is in excellent shape throughout, but sounds & feels hollow when tapped. Does yours?

I've been told (by some local boat shops) that I can re-use the empty fiberglass forms. Cut the caps off, clean them out, seat in the new wood stringers, then re-cap with new glass. Haven't gotten to that point as of yet. It will be my plan of approach unless one of the guys here says otherwise.

It's going to be fun watching these two boats come back to life together.

I am with you on the city life, catch 22, I can park about 5 vehicles end to end from garage to end of the street, but my neighbood layouts are the houses are only like 15 feet apart, so my driveway is only one car wide, so all projects have to be crammed up infront of the garage, and the rest of the drive we use for parking.

My stringers are the same, sound hollow, bout seem sturdy. I mean, I laid a couple of kicks to mine to see if there was any cracking or anything, and nothing. Nothing was drilled into my stringers, it was all glued on top.

Does anyone know if maybe these boats were manufactured with fiberglass stringers? As in maybe they were molded then installed?

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am with you on the city life, catch 22, I can park about 5 vehicles end to end from garage to end of the street, but my neighbood layouts are the houses are only like 15 feet apart, so my driveway is only one car wide, so all projects have to be crammed up infront of the garage, and the rest of the drive we use for parking.

My stringers are the same, sound hollow, bout seem sturdy. I mean, I laid a couple of kicks to mine to see if there was any cracking or anything, and nothing. Nothing was drilled into my stringers, it was all glued on top.

Does anyone know if maybe these boats were manufactured with fiberglass stringers? As in maybe they were molded then installed?

Don't know the answer to your question, but we have the same driveway.

Great glass work in the boat, though. I wouldn't think a pure fiberglass stringer would be strong enough in and of itself, but I'm no expert. I'm of a mind that the original wood (if any) turned to dust some decades back. I hope to have my cap off w/in the next couple of weeks, then the floor. I'll open one of the stringers at that point and let you know - if you haven't gotten ahead of me.

fauxmeister

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great work. Those seats look awesome! I would love to replace mine with some similar to those. Keep it up...

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Great work. Those seats look awesome! I would love to replace mine with some similar to those. Keep it up...

The seats are better than they look. Very comfortable, well stitched. Got them through iboats for an excellent price. It will most likely be Spring before I install them, though. It was the price which made me move on them now. Delighted with my choice.

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Aug 7th - got some more work done today. About 2/3 of the foam under the bow has been hacked out:

P8060001.jpg

I'm using a small garden spade. Works fairly well.

Also removed the bumper, which was easier than I expected. Plenty of oddities, though. The cap had been removed at some time in the past, ans wasn't put back on correctly. Nice wavy line here all along the stabboard side:

P8060016.jpg

Lots of screws left hanging out:

P8060012.jpg

And, of course, nothing quite lines up:

P8060031.jpg

tburda

Seaman

Wow your cap was screwed in? Seems strange, at least it looks like they used stainless to do so, or you'd really be in a world of hurt!

Looking good so far, I'm going to go poke around and look for seats now haha.

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow your cap was screwed in? Seems strange, at least it looks like they used stainless to do so, or you'd really be in a world of hurt!

Looking good so far, I'm going to go poke around and look for seats now haha.

Isn't yours screwed in? I thought all of them were. I'm ready to lift the cap - well, mostly. Need to get the last of that foam out. BUT - running into problems getting volunteers to help me lift it off. No way I can get any kind of lifting structure in this driveway. I figure 5 guys should be able to carry it into the garage. Can't even entice two women to volunteer ...

Life can sometimes suck in the city ...

tburda

Seaman

Isn't yours screwed in? I thought all of them were. I'm ready to lift the cap - well, mostly. Need to get the last of that foam out. BUT - running into problems getting volunteers to help me lift it off. No way I can get any kind of lifting structure in this driveway. I figure 5 guys should be able to carry it into the garage. Can't even entice two women to volunteer ...

Life can sometimes suck in the city ...

You know, I'm not sure if mine is screwed in lol. Havent pulled the bumper, I just assumed they were generally riveted.

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You know, I'm not sure if mine is screwed in lol. Havent pulled the bumper, I just assumed they were generally riveted.

Yours is probably the same as mine, then - though your floor is quite different. The bumper came off very easily. I just pried a screwdriver into mine, loosened one end, then slowly pulled it off around the boat. Not even 5 minutes. Bumper is in great shape. The screws - ahhhh, getting replaced. My cap had been off at one time or another and not re-seated correctly.

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got a little more work done today. A friend of mine came by and we managed to get the stern end of the cap raised. You guys probably wouldn't approve of this method, but it's all I have.

P8130002.jpg

My original intention was to get 5 or 6 guys over to help me lift the cap off & set it in the garage ... it's funny how busy people are when you need their help instead of them needing you ...

But I can get to the transom now. Half of it came out with the cap.

P8130004.jpg

The remainder will have to be coaxed out.

P8130005.jpg

P8130003.jpg

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also got the last of the foam out with a sawzall and that spade shovel in the photo.

P8130006.jpg

And this is the silicone the PO used to seal the cap -

P8130007.jpg

Oh, well. Off to Lowes in the morning to get some plywood and lumber.

Now the real fun begins ...

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Took an hour and a half to get all the silicone off the hull and cap with a razor blade. I really do want to meet this boat's PO's ...

Transom is out. Haven't used the grinder as of yet. But that isn't wood you're looking at.

P8140004.jpg

You'll note there were air pockets in the fiberglass. I'll re-glass those before the new transom goes in.

Had visitors, too. Used the wet piece of transom that slid free yesterday to trace out a template. Which did not fit. A couple of slugs came out of the wood to say hello. That's one of them at the lower left.

P8140001.jpg

Most of the floor came off, as well.

P8140010.jpg

I found a cracked stringer.

P8140006.jpg

As well as stringer caps separating.

P8140008.jpg

Have a lot of grinding and glassing to do before the new floor goes in. At least the foam came out easily. Sopping wet, of course.

Supposed to have thunderstorms tomorrow and Tuesday, That's OK - I'm off Wednesday.

fauxmeister

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking great RB! Glad to see all the progress. I actually got to take mine out for the first time today! Got the motor and trailer along with another boat last year and then switched them to the Rinker a few months ago and just seems like it has taken forever to get all the little things done but really got on it this week and so took it out today for about an hour and a half. It did great although ran a little rough which I am attributing to having sat for a year and I tried to run the original gas thru it initially and then switched to all new gas and seemed to smooth things out although it still was cutting out slightly. I figure to clean carbs, plugs and run some sea-foam thru it and see if it smooths out. Still all in all it was a great first run! Good luck on yours.

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looking great RB! Glad to see all the progress. I actually got to take mine out for the first time today! Got the motor and trailer along with another boat last year and then switched them to the Rinker a few months ago and just seems like it has taken forever to get all the little things done but really got on it this week and so took it out today for about an hour and a half. It did great although ran a little rough which I am attributing to having sat for a year and I tried to run the original gas thru it initially and then switched to all new gas and seemed to smooth things out although it still was cutting out slightly. I figure to clean carbs, plugs and run some sea-foam thru it and see if it smooths out. Still all in all it was a great first run! Good luck on yours.

Thanks, guy. I'm looking forward to the grinding. Maybe crazy of me to do so, but I think of it as a milestone. Just wish the cap was off. Only makes it difficult, not impossible.

Get some pics of the Rinker on water?

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got into the grinding today. Only lasted about 90 minutes in that suit. Just too hot today. I don't know how you guys in the South do it ... hat's off to you, though.

You aren't kidding that this stuff flies everywhere! Pre-vacuum:

P8170001.jpg

Post- vacuum:

P8170003.jpg

And a good look at that cracked stringer:

P8170002.jpg

Tore the seat out of that paper suit. Good thing I wasn't Commando out there, or I'd be seriously scratching my behind for the next week or two.

fauxmeister

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lookin good RB! Keep it up. I took mine out yesterday with my family for the first time. We all had a blast! Got a tube to pull for my girls and they loved it! The boat did well except wanted to bog down on acceleration. Had to take it slow to keep it from cutting out. Once at WOT it ran pretty well. I put some seafoam and a new set of spark plugs in, seemed to help but still needs some work. Anxious to get back out again. Will post some pics soon as I can. Good luck...