Rinkerbuilt Project

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Rinkerbuilt Project

Yeah those aren't needed with a strong transom and do you have a garage?

If you have a garage you could just pull in for a day you could lift the motor off with a chain hoist with it connected to the rafters. There are threads on the fly wheel that you can lift it off with.

Sooner you start the sooner you are on the water.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

yeah there wouldn't have been anything STEEL from the factory.

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah those aren't needed with a strong transom and do you have a garage?

If you have a garage you could just pull in for a day you could lift the motor off with a chain hoist with it connected to the rafters. There are threads on the fly wheel that you can lift it off with.

Sooner you start the sooner you are on the water.

I have a 1940's single car garage which is off-set from the driveway. Won't be able to back the boat into it. It isn't long enough, either. The cap will fit in there - maybe. The rafters are thin, as well. Not much of a garage, I'm afraid. No easy access to the backyard, either. We don't use the backyard because it's such a nuisance to get to.

I'll figure something out for the cap. May just take it to some one else's house and lift it there.

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got a tree in the front yard? It just seems silly to me to buy a hoist if you are using it for only taking the motor on and off. You could poissbly rent one and place it on a castered engine stand built by you.

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got a tree in the front yard? It just seems silly to me to buy a hoist if you are using it for only taking the motor on and off. You could poissbly rent one and place it on a castered engine stand built by you.

Yes, it does, doesn't it? I'll be checking the local area for a rental. I'm not tackling the job immediately. Have 1 day off this week. Might be last week of July before I'm home long enough to do anything but a small project. Maybe cut out that broken section of the fiberglass floor to see what's up underneath come Sunday.

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Haven't been out to the boat since last Sunday. Made it out there briefly this afternoon. Temp in the mid-90's, which is buggered hot for NH. Did cut a few exploratory holes in the floor, though. There is somesome soggy plywood under the fiberglass floor. What's there is pretty much sopping wet the entire length of the flooring

P7160001.jpg

Sorry for the fuzzy picture. Must have gotten myself excited about something.

Did cut this along the port side:

P7160002.jpg

Oscillating saw went through that like nobody's business. I left it in place until I get my measurements.

Hole is a little longer ...

P7160003.jpg

This is about the center of the floor:

P7160005.jpg

And this is a shot under the flooring toward the stern:

P7160004.jpg

Going back out tomorrow. Early. Cut some more out. Cap will definitely have to come off, but that isn't happening for another couple of weeks.

fauxmeister

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good to see your project. I just recently bought a 15' version of almost the same boat. I really like it. I had a 115 Chrysler to put on it so pretty much the same set-up. I am almost ready to splash. I have had to fill in the holes from the previous motor since it was an Evinrude and the bolt pattern thru the transom didn't match up. Other than that it has mainly been redoing some electrical stuff. (it was a rats nest) and installing a bilge pump. Then lots of cleanup. All the staining on the cap and most of the fiberglass will come off very easily with the heavy duty Magic Erasers. Those things are amazing! Good luck!

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good to see your project. I just recently bought a 15' version of almost the same boat. I really like it. I had a 115 Chrysler to put on it so pretty much the same set-up. I am almost ready to splash. I have had to fill in the holes from the previous motor since it was an Evinrude and the bolt pattern thru the transom didn't match up. Other than that it has mainly been redoing some electrical stuff. (it was a rats nest) and installing a bilge pump. Then lots of cleanup. All the staining on the cap and most of the fiberglass will come off very easily with the heavy duty Magic Erasers. Those things are amazing! Good luck!

Thanks. Have a tad more work to do on this one than you had - though my wiring is equally a rat's nest. Magic erasers? What are those?

The fiberglass for the stringers and framing are in excellent shape -except for the hundreds of screw holes in them. Hollow as a politician's head, though. No wood in them anywhere. I weigh 225, and they still support my weight. Remarkable.

fauxmeister

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Should be able to get the Magic Erasers at Walmart, grocery store, etc. They will be in the household cleaner section. They are some kind of foam sponges that you wet and then just wipe the surface. They wear out fairly quickly but I cleaned my interior with about 4 of them I think. They come either 2 or 4 to a box. Make sure to get the heavy duty ones - they last longer. Look forward to seeing your progress...

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got some more work done on the boat today before the heat drove me inside.
Guess what I found when I yanked out the old glove box? An old registration for the boat with year and ID number, and this:

P7170001-1.jpg

Not much in there re: manually lowering the motor. I did try connecting up the battery, but no luck. Either the wires are bad or the switches are toast. Can't see any where to manually lower that motor.

P7170003.jpg

P7170004.jpg

P7170005.jpg

Not something I have to do right now, but it's annoying.

Also saw that the bow was seated into expanding foam. That's going to be a bugger cutting loose when the time comes ...

Would have taken more pictures but the battery in the camera died.

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Should be able to get the Magic Erasers at Walmart, grocery store, etc. They will be in the household cleaner section. They are some kind of foam sponges that you wet and then just wipe the surface. They wear out fairly quickly but I cleaned my interior with about 4 of them I think. They come either 2 or 4 to a box. Make sure to get the heavy duty ones - they last longer. Look forward to seeing your progress...

I'll make a run to Wally-World this week and get some. Thanks!

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers FauxMeister recommended. Got a 10 pack of the heavy duty pads at Sam's Club for $9 and change. This is what I got from 3 of them:

P7190007.jpg

Would have made it with 2 of the pads, but the snaps along the bow gnawed one to death. The whole bow area is done for less than I paid for 2 bottles of super-duper mildew remover. And I still have 7 left. Thanks for the tip, FauxMeister!

These pads should be mandatory equipment for all boat owners.

fauxmeister

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad they worked! They sure saved me some elbow grease. Learned about them right here on iboats...among many other things. That boat is identical to mine except the color and the length.

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Glad they worked! They sure saved me some elbow grease. Learned about them right here on iboats...among many other things. That boat is identical to mine except the color and the length.

Found an old registration in the boat last Sunday. Mine is a 1979. I believe the Mercury 115 is original to the boat. Should have the motor off next week, then I'll have to figure out where I'll remove the cap. Not much room to do it in my driveway, and the garage isn't good for much more than storage for the cap. I'm in no rush, though. Plenty of time to figure things out.

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Kind of putting the cart before the horse, but I'm waiting for a couple of orders to arrive before I can continue working on the boat. In the meantime, I've ordered these seats for the front of the boat:

1149134gray_charcoal_5.jpg

I'll mount them to adjustable, swinging pedestals once the floor is ready for them. The rear seats will be more of a boxy (to fit the available space) fold-down in the same color scheme.

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Still waiting for the OB lift ring to show up. UPS should be delivering it this evening. In the meantime, I went out to putz around inside the boat. Ripped out the old wiring, and cut up the panel between the splash well and the bilge. Oy Vey!

First thing I saw:

P7270001.jpg

Next thing I saw:

P7270005.jpg

Is that a bilge pump buried in that junk?

It is!! And a screwdriver and roll of electrical tape:

P7270008.jpg

Of course, the wiring for the pump went no where ...

P7270012.jpg

But at least the drain hose was hooked up ;

P7270013.jpg

I'm finding it more and more difficult to believe that this boat was used in the water just 2 years ago.

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So I'm also out disconnecting stuff. Trim pump looks a bit rough:

P7270014.jpg

Maybe with some spit and a whole lot of polish ... it's still going to look like a new one is on the list ...

P7270014.jpg

P7270016.jpg

And this is a tad troubling. Where transom meets splash well:

P7270021.jpg

Last but not least for today, I stuck my nose right through this before noticing it was there. Good thing the occupants are off on vacation somewhere ...

P7270020.jpg

Ah, the joys of a home project ... :D

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Kind of putting the cart before the horse, but I'm waiting for a couple of orders to arrive before I can continue working on the boat. In the meantime, I've ordered these seats for the front of the boat:

1149134gray_charcoal_5.jpg

I'll mount them to adjustable, swinging pedestals once the floor is ready for them. The rear seats will be more of a boxy (to fit the available space) fold-down in the same color scheme.

Seats arrived today. 'NICE' doesn't begin to describe them! Can't wait to get them installed.

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Honestly you will want to clean up that power trim and make sure you get it clean. Those things are expensive. They are rebuildable and as long as you take care of them and prime it corectly it will last for a long time. I rebuilt mine with $4 brushes from Napa about a month ago and its the orignal pump and motor.

Good to see your still trucking along. Keep it up, splash before the summer is over.