Restoring 1986 Sea Nymph SS155 (pics)

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Restoring 1986 Sea Nymph SS155 (pics)

Everything EZ said is excellent advice, V4 is too much for your boat, an OMC non electric shift triple is great for your hull (that's what's on mine). They last and last, are readily availabe and cheap. Don't rule out a later model Merc/Mariner 75 triple, I had 75 and a 90 hp (same block) 1998 and 1996 models and they were great motors. On a brand new motor for your hull I would look at a direct inject 2 stroke, 75 Optimax would be sweet. Google T and M Marine, they have very good deals on Merc motors, great deals on brand new scratch and dent factory seconds. Yammies are great too. I would stay away from the 4 strokes for the same reason as the v4, too much weight.

Thanks Imuss as always! Haven't heard from the boat shop yet but when I called Saturday they told me I was in the mix for either Monday or Tuesday... Keeping fingers crossed that its the problems we determined! The motor suggestions is just for fun and I would eventually like a new powerplant but only when needed ;)

Todd4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IT'S WEDNESDAY!........ ummmmm....... just sayin';)

Piece715

IT'S WEDNESDAY!........ ummmmm....... just sayin';)

IT'S KILLING ME TOO!!! I haven't heard from them yet... They did say it is a two week wait just to get seen and well two weeks is up on Saturday soooooo... I am out of town right now but i have peeps on the ready to go pick her up... hoping to be on the water Sunday when i get back into town. I'll keep ya informed of the diagnosis when I hear one! Thanks for hanging in Todd!

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's all of us, if there was a Sea Nymph mob we'd be firing up some torches. Of course we are civilized Tinnies.:D

mark1961

Ensign

Of course we are civilized Tinnies.:D

Not so fast, there is one member around here who has both marques in his stable at the moment, no prizes for guessing who that might be.....no further comment. :eek::D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Of course we are civilized Tinnies.:D

So wait, the Sea Nymph klan of metal boaters are supposed to be civilized?

Oh man, I should prolly shave and put on a collared shirt or you guys will boot me right otta here eh?:redface:

Piece715

Good News! They got a whiff of the "civilized" barbarians known as the Sea Nymphers and got scared! Pretty sure they were picturing the ferocity of the Spartans in 300 with the victorious ending of the Scots winning their freedom in Braveheart :rolleyes: YA THAT'S RIGHT DON'T MESS WITH TINNIES! BOOM!

I GOT THE CALL... On the plus side motor runs great; no need for a new power plant. Seems the expert ears and knowledge of the iboat's collective were correct in pointing the finger in the direction of the carbs. So tip of the hat to u ladies and gentlemen :D

The motor actually was firing on both cylinders just wasn't getting enough fuel to keep it running during the spark plug test; the carbs were that gummed up. They also were able to fix the leak in the primer solenoid... stated it was a crack in the valve and the plastic pieces were replaced. (now the primer solenoid plastics were replaced by that shop 3 weeks ago... so not sure what they actually did but promise you me I will be inspecting that to make sure its fixed.) Other than that I think they replace the fuel filter and some screws of some sort. I'm out of town so I was only able to speak to the office lady over the phone. She is giving my buddies who are picking the boat up from the shop and Itemized list of everything performed. The damage was 386... and i know at least 250 of that was carb work when ya break it down ( 94ish dollars an hour labor figure 1hr to 1.5 hours per carb depending on condition plus two carb rebuild kits; if its not 250 it hitting close)... so all in all not too shabby still painful though. Curious to see where the other 140 came from but at least i dont need a motor

Expect to see an upcoming splash when I return home!

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Outstanding Piece, I can't wait for a little splash vid.

Jas, we are civilized in that we don't gather in mobs to show our displeasure. I wouldn't get too concerned about shaving or shirts with collars.

$400 to clean 2 carbs, I gotta see if I can borrow Jas' service center sign, and hang it in front of my garage.

The really good news is that if you know you have a good water pump, you are pretty much worry free on that little motor for some time. The CDI boxes don't fry often on them, and you've done everything else.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK, ok, I think I got it now. Like at the very end of Braveheart when he says "...they fought like warrior poets..."

Cool cuz I only shave once a week and meat will always be my favorite food group;):D

Piece, it's hard to spend the dough but at least you have the confidence that a pro has gone through it.

So, when can this SN float?:D

Todd4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ALRIGHTY! Although pricey, good call on getting the carbs cleaned. That run lean condition can be a death warrant for 2-strokes. Sounds like you're good to go now. So, when are you going to FLOAT THAT PUPPY? - and you better bring your camera (ya know barbarians can turn on ya in an instant, when displeasured). :)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I've probably said this before but.....I had to dump some money into the motors on each of my restores but got years of good service in return.

Piece715

SPLASH!!

Can't get the video to upload from work... so I'll post when I get home

photo(3).jpg photo(5).jpg photo(6).jpg photo(7).jpg

Piece715

photo(1)resize.jpg photo(2)resize.jpg photo(4)resize.jpg

Sooo the splash went awesome! Spent all day yesterday on the water! Kept flipping the bilge pump all day yesterday just in case and couldn't get a drop. Half way through my buddy and I decided to test to make sure it was actually working so we dumped glass after glass of lake water into the bilge. Flipped on the bilge and it worked flawlessly... which only means she takes on NO water!!! When leaving for the day we got her all loaded up and started heading down the road. Hadn't even gone a quarter of a mile when a horrible noise like something was dragging was coming from the trailer. Pulled over check the straps and motor and all looked good. Got back into the trunk drove twenty more feet and noticed in the mirror that the driver's side tire was about to FALL OFF LITERALLY. Pull back over and 3 of the 4 lug nuts were GONE!!! and they were all there when we left the boat ramp as u can see in the pic above. So we stole a lug from the other side and made it back home with 3 on one side and 2 on the other. SCARY SITUATION but it worked out! Thanks to everyone that help make this happen! I'll keep posting here and there as there are still odds and ends that need to be finished. OOOOHH and one thing was that towards the end of the day the boat motor wouldn't idle. It would die if i let it sit in neutral too long. So I am thinking it just needs an on the water idle adjustment. Although there might have been air getting into the system some how cuz with the high idle lever up it would idle with a hesitation, fluctuating between 100-200 RPMs in and out; it wouldn't maintain a steady idle. Does that sound like an idle adjustment or should I be thinking air?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Great big congrats to you Piece, way to go!! You put a ton of work into this, enjoy the reward!;):cool::D

Todd4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

CONGRATULATIONS MAN!! I like this one best (well.....and the one with the bikini in it;))
View attachment 154442

It's gotta make you feel good to see her floating after all your hard work.

Todd

dozerII

Admiral

Awesome Piece 715, she looks great on the water, glad you got it all figured in the end. The missing wheel nuts is just Murphy letting you know he is watching.
Glen

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks amazing on the water. Nice to see all the hard work paying off.

It is common to have to kick the idle up a bit once it's on the water as you can't really duplicate the backpressure in the driveway but it should run smooth with you idle up a bit. So the mechanic may need to take a second crack at it since a good running engine is what you paid for.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I might be more inclined to thank some parking lot gremlins for the missing lug nuts. The latest stunt around here is cutting fill hoses on certain pickups from underneath and draining the gas tanks. Its a good idea to do a good walk around on your vehicle when you get back to the launch.

If you advanced the fast idle and it didn't pick up it is probably not the adjustment. The fast idle does what turning the screw in does along with advancing the timing a bit. I would ask the mech to take another look. Be careful here because engines that run badly once they are warm sometimes have electrical issues. Mechanics will often just start throwing coils and powerpacks at them trying to solve the issue.

Piece715

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! Much appreciated! Again I wouldn't be where I am without all of you!

As for the motor; The fast idle advanced the motor just fine except it was REALLY touchy. I remember looking at the tach at the beginning of the day and it was ready just shy of 1000 rpms at idle and running fine in neutral. At the end of the day the RPMs were sitting at like 6-700... which i felt was too low. It did the whole thing that it sounds like its gonna die cuz its idling too low and then it does die. Fires right back up though but having to restart ur motor constantly is no fun and hell on the starter. Thats why i was leaning towards an idle adjustment