Restoration project - 1965 AlumaCraft Maracaibo

Rad Racer

Seaman
The original TeeNee trailer fenders and aftermarket wheels are bland....just not exciting.

I found/purchased an original set of TeeNee wheels w/hubcaps and fenders from a local guy, these should make the trailer pop when all painted up.

Attachments

• trailer1.JPG
    trailer1.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 11
  • trailer.JPG
    trailer.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 11

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
you may be past this point, although looking at jarrod and your pics, seems like the floor might need more support underneath? (so no one asks why it is a little ..."soft"?)

Rad Racer

Seaman
I am not absolutely certain but given the marks on the inside of the hull it looks like the factory only used two stringers underneath the floor panels. I have looked hi and low for photos that might give some clues....there is not much on the old interwebs.

I walked on the floor boards during the test fitting phase and they seem solid and not flexy. The MDO ply is pretty tough that will probably help with the rigidity. I may add another set of stringers before riveting the floor in place....I will see when I get to that point of the project.

Rad Racer

Seaman
After a little Nautolex installation practice on some scrap material I moved forward and applied Nautolex on the floor panels. For a rookie I think they turned out pretty good.

I installed both rear floor panels with rivets. The floor laid in real nice....the floor curved up the edges just like the original.

With only 2 stringers I was concerned the floor might be springy (soft) but that is not an issue at all. The floor is very rigid....I am super pleased with the results.

Attachments

• panel bottom.JPG
    panel bottom.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 18
  • floor panels.JPG
    floor panels.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 18
  • ready for rivets.JPG
    ready for rivets.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 19
  • done1.JPG
    done1.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 19
  • done.JPG
    done.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Wildey

Petty Officer 1st Class
That does look good !
And, I really like them horses ! or, are they mules !
Nice work, for sure.

Rad Racer

Seaman
Finished the floor installation today, also created the side panel template.

Attachments

• side template.JPG
    side template.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 9

Rad Racer

Seaman
I put a seat in the boat just to see how it looks. Due to the narrow hull looks like I will need to design custom seat bases to get them to fit correctly.

I really like the Teal color....it feels old school. We purchase the same Teal vinyl from the seat manufacture for the side panels and seat bases. My paint guy said he can get a mix to match the vinyl :)

Attachments

• seat-side.JPG
    seat-side.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 15
  • seat-side1.JPG
    seat-side1.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 15

Rad Racer

Seaman
Ok, these Maracaibo's are like potato chips.....you cant just have one. It was a good price so I bought another one. They are really cool little boats....I couldn't pass on the deal.

My plan is to restore it since I have the Cad files needed to replace all the wood parts.

Attachments

• new maraciabo1.jpg
    new maraciabo1.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 23
  • new maraciabo.jpg
    new maraciabo.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 23

Rad Racer

Seaman
My 2nd Maracaibo had the original floor and seat bases so I was finally able to see how the factory assembled these boats.

Turns out the original floors are only 1/4" thick....kind of lame. I like my floors much better they are a 1/2" and solid as a rock. You can see the seat base were attached directly to the hull via (4) angle brackets. Here again my seats will be mount to the 1/2" floor a more modern approach.

Here are a couple of photos of the original floor and seat bases.....perhaps others trying to restore a Maracaibo will find them photos useful.

Attachments

• original seat base1.JPG
    original seat base1.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 12
  • original seat base.JPG
    original seat base.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
  • original floor1.JPG
    original floor1.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 12
  • original floor.JPG
    original floor.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 12

Rad Racer

Seaman
One step closer to the finish line, I completed the seat bases and custom dash.

I test fit the dash and found it only needs a few tweaks....the overall fit is excellent. The pocketed part of the dash will have an okoume inlay the rest of the dash will be painted. I was going to use a SS plate but thought the aluminum cowl coupled with a SS plate will shield my GPS speedometer.

The gauges and audio system give it a modern feel. I am going for 2022 on the inside and 1964 on the outside.

Attachments

• dash.JPG
    dash.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 18
  • test fit.JPG
    test fit.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 18

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
One step closer to the finish line, I completed the seat bases and custom dash.

I test fit the dash and found it only needs a few tweaks....the overall fit is excellent. The pocketed part of the dash will have an okoume inlay the rest of the dash will be painted. I was going to use a SS plate but thought the aluminum cowl coupled with a SS plate will shield my GPS speedometer.

The gauges and audio system give it a modern feel. I am going for 2022 on the inside and 1964 on the outside.
Looks great! Any details re: the dash fabrication?

Rad Racer

Seaman
Stock seat base vs custom.
The custom base provides a lower seat height...it feels much better than up high.

Attachments

• seat base.JPG
    seat base.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 16

Rad Racer

Seaman
Stock dash vs custom.

I removed the old cable steering system and replaced it with a SeaStar NFB system. For nostalgia sake, I retained the original steering wheel and center hub.

The dash will be painted white, the inserts will be Teal to match the seats and boat paint.

Attachments

• stock dash.JPG
    stock dash.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • dash complete.JPG
    dash complete.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 15

Rad Racer

Seaman
A few measurements, a little CAD, a few minutes on the router and I have new side panels. They fit like a glove....I am really happy with the style.

Attachments

• side panels.JPG
    side panels.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 10
  • side panels1.JPG
    side panels1.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 10