Restoration project - 1965 AlumaCraft Maracaibo

Rad Racer

Seaman
I was lucky enough to stumble across an old AlumaCraft Maracaibo. It is literally a barn find, or more accurately stated, its a "barn yard" find. The owner said it was sitting out back and came with the farm when he bought the place years ago. He planed to restore the boat but never found the time. The hull is in fantastic shape, no major dents, dings or scratches. The last registration tag is dated 1985....so it appears this boat hasn't seen water in 37years.

I fell in love with this little boat and just had to have it.....he let me have the whole package (boat, motor and trailer) for $150.

Interesting side note, I live about 30mins from St Peter MN, the home of AlumaCraft and the place where this boat was made.

She needs work...but after all that's the fun part.

Rad Racer

Seaman
My wife and I are planning a full restoration, we are hoping to make it as good as new. We will post pictures of our progress.

The boat came with a Johnson 35hp but I will be using my newly acquired 1978 Merc 500. 50hp is the max rated HP for the hull.....so I am guessing she will scoot pretty good with it hanging off the back.

Rad Racer

Seaman
Merc.JPGmerc1.JPGThe motor came complete; motor, tank, controls, hydraulic tilt assembly and extra prop. It's real clean, idles nice but has a high speed stall/stumble issue that needs some attention.

buxmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
That is a nice find for sure! Love the lines of the mid 60's, but I am biased, mine is a '65 fiberglass runabout. Ironically mine came with a '77 Mercury 402 40hp but hoping to go with a '71 Evinrude 50hp that I also have. Keep the pics coming of progress!

Rad Racer

Seaman
I cleaned and repacked the trailer wheel bearings today, I think it might have the original grease. Its been a a long time since anyone took a peek inside.

Rad Racer

Seaman
Making progress, removed the old transom boards, steering system, windshield and cleats (for the seat?). Getting ready to sand, prep and paint.transom.JPGempty-hull.JPG

Rad Racer

Seaman
The original transom had a piece of rubber type material between the plywood and the aluminum hull.

Is this rubber material necessary or even recommended? If not, what is the preferred method of mating the plywood transom to the aluminum hull (nothing, marine adhesive, other)?

Attachments

• Transom.JPG
    Transom.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 10

jbcurt00

Staff member
Probably sound/vibration dampening, and most tin boats don't have it. Perhaps prior owner added it.

No need to laminated plywood transom to aluminum skin

Rad Racer

Seaman
Sorting through my pile of white oak to find a board to replace the original inside transom board (white oak).

Quick back story on the white oak;
My father had a small sawmill he used for years to cut lumber for friends, family and fun. This particular white oak came from a blow down that hit an old growth stand of trees near his home. He end up with 3 semi loads of logs, many were 24"-36" in diameter...…really nice stuff. This oak was cut about 15yrs ago so it is plenty dried/seasoned.

My pop has been gone for over 8 years now.....using some of his lumber is very sentimental for me, I think he would be proud.

Rad Racer

Seaman
Found a 12"wide x 9' long board....should work perfect. The board is clear (knot free), I can only imagine what the lumber yard would charge for this board.

Attachments

• whiteoak1.JPG
    whiteoak1.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 3

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
The original transom had a piece of rubber type material between the plywood and the aluminum hull.

Is this rubber material necessary or even recommended? If not, what is the preferred method of mating the plywood transom to the aluminum hull (nothing, marine adhesive, other)?
Probably treated lumber that will eventually eat the tin. Actually a cool idea.
Usually bolts etc. I'm not a tinny though.

Rad Racer

Seaman
Interesting thought, perhaps that's what the rubber was for. I have all the original SS mounting hardware for the transom I will use it to mount the new transom boards.

My plan is to reuse as much of the original hardware and components as possible. It's cool to think something that was manufactured nearly 60 years ago is still functional/useable.

Rad Racer

Seaman
Finally make some progress with the floor.

I struggled to find any information about the floor installation for this hull....so I just winged it. After studying the wear marks in the paint I determined 1/2" ply was originally used for floor, I also discovered the basic shape of the floor. After a little CAD work I cut a cardboard template to test the fit and make some design tweaks.

template.JPG