Replacing Bayliner Capri stringers/deck with pix

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Replacing Bayliner Capri stringers/deck with pix

got pics? I know I know but im a junky I need pics

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Sterndrive is put back together and I'm almost done mounting it. Steering cable reattached. Hopefully I can get it on the water tomorrow

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Took it for a test on the Grand River and then took it up to Mackinac City and made a trip up the St. Mary's to Soo Saint Marie, stayed the night on board, and back this weekend. I need to do a little bit of caulking here and there but she held up well...no stress cracks after hitting 3-4 foot swells.

l_7baf4cce6694486a85a8d856322c59d7.jpg

The Grand

l_11bc74be0cb94ebb8755ce64ad96c658.jpg

docked for lunch on Mackinac Island. Definitely the best marina I've been to

l_48ab604ddad44de1bbd38c0642aaa125.jpg

as you can see I have a lot of odds and ends to take care of

l_5b609166763d4c9ca70303ee2a40bd0a.jpg

docked at the Soo. I haven't given the hull a good cleaning since last season and you can see the old waterline a couple inches above the water...that wet foam and stringers will do that :D . I still need to wax'er too

The help and encouragement from you guys has definitely helped me along since this project started like last September. It turned out to be a lot more work than I thought it would be but I pulled it off with your help. I'm really, really happy to be back out there :)

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I'm working on installing the side panels within the next few days and finishing up the stern's interior.

I've ordered new seals for my sterndrive and I'm in the process of tearing that apart, again. Getting a brand new water pump housing too

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Man that Buick looks good.Hows the handling with the baby one the hitch?Life cant get much better than that 1 cool car and 1 cool boat.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Are those Keystones or rallies on the convertible?

88BLiner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with proshadetree, That is a good looking car. That boat looks great man, especially sitting there in the water. Congratulations on getting her in the water. All that hard work has finally paid off!:D

bear_69cuda

Commander

Great job dude!

Boat looks beautiful on the water!

Diggin the tow vert...

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I was going to say their both ugly you should sell them to me but I knew you would see right through that one.Need to find a cool ride to pull mine with.Paint me green

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Thanks again guys, definitely is nice to have it seaworthy again. I received all the sterndrive seals, water pump housing, and vacuum/pressure test kit as of Friday and will be assembling it all.

I have new, heavy duty coil springs and load adjusting Monroe Sensatracs on the rear of the LeSabre along with a class III hitch. I picked a later model car to get front disc brakes. No lack of power or stopping power and its stable.

Body on frame, RWD, (front) disc brakes, and a big block...a 19' Capri is no sweat at all :cool:

It actually took me some time to find a set of original Buick rally wheels. It came with steelies and some tacky pimptastic hubcaps. But I found a set for $100, no bends just some pitting but copper wool took it off in minutes

jcsercsa

Captain

OOOHHH MAN F14 , She looks great !!!!!! and yep that is a nice marina up and mac city !! last year when we were up there we walk the docks there checking out the boats !!!! and that pic of the grand river brings back memories have been there sence the early 90 when I was going to state !!! lol too cool man glad to see see was flying up there . Looks fun !! John

F14CRAZY

Ensign

OOOHHH MAN F14 , She looks great !!!!!! and yep that is a nice marina up and mac city !! last year when we were up there we walk the docks there checking out the boats !!!! and that pic of the grand river brings back memories have been there sence the early 90 when I was going to state !!! lol too cool man glad to see see was flying up there . Looks fun !! John

up north is where to be :cool:

anyway, I found a bimini top on craigslist out in Grand Rapids for $125 :eek: Picked that up today and tried it on...IMHO it makes the Capri look more expensive :D and now I can bring some peeps on overnight trips cuz they can crash on seats when folded out and can probably fit a cot on the deck. It came off an '84 19' Capri cuddy and there's some snaps that my boat doesn't have of which I'll add to make it fit just right but otherwise it's the exact right one for my boat. No tears, just a little bit of mildew that ought to clean up fine

l_b4c7d6b8ca78460bb92d19891868a4ae.jpg

l_640247bdfe48429bae1a849ba81f14d2.jpg

l_5436da701db244f9961c6ab3f68a9844.jpg

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Great find you lucky duck.had mine out yesterday tubing with the wife and kids.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Progress continues!

Was a bit cloudy today..got rained out but I started bringing the topside gelcoat back to life with the expensive 3M rubbing compound/wax for "heavily oxidized" gelcoat which matches the description of mine...and a buffer my bro bought me for Christmas...I'm sure my Capri hasn't blinged like this in years :cool:. I'll be poking at this for the next few days. It's tedious rolling it in and out of the barn and it seems it'll be raining for the start of the week.

Also, I'm in touch with a local gentleman that's knowledgeable with OMC sterndrives and I'm meeting him tomorrow night to see about pressing on/in the seals on my prop shaft carrier (that's what he called it) and straightening the prop shaft itself. I'll post his contact info if things work out well with him.

No pix yet, but I've come up with a way for the stern jumpseat seatback to be removable for like access to the battery, and I'm making the boards for that now. My mom will be making the cushions for them. I would have installed the side panels but I didn't build the shelves that go in them yet but we came up with the idea to just make a pocket in them with vinyl.

It's getting there! I can't make any promises but a return to the water would be nice this coming weekend.

eight tracker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Humm,i thought i recoginized that buick cruising around town,be careful on that ramp,i backed in to far one year hooked the rear wheels over the end of the ramp,had to get a wrecker to get me out.

Tom

85 bayliner 16 ft.fish n ski
85 force

F14CRAZY

Ensign

heh you can definitely spot my Buick by its class III hitch and safety chains :D

I'll keep that in mind though regarding the Grand River ramp

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I met with Bob last night of Blue Angel Engineering...he swapped out my prop shaft carrier seals on the spot and will have my prop shaft straightened by tomorrow night...he's a marina mechanic by day and builds alcohol dragsters and saves cats from the shelter by night (and repairs sterndrives)...really cool guy.

I tore apart my upper unit and replaced all the seals this afternoon...took a good few hours and found I had to get a bearing puller and a 2 claw puller to get it apart but I whipped it! Installed the new water pump housing too. Tested both pressure and vacuum and it holds fine now :)

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Picked up my straightened prop shaft ($75) and fitted the port side panel

l_20984d2dae00463a92a492fbe139d3c3.jpg

I think I'll paint the rest of the exposed fiberglass white

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I've got the upper and lower units sealed and they pass pressure/vacuum tests but I'm hung up on the shifter thing that attaches to the lower unit...when tested it leaks air through the end of the cable that attaches to the shift converter. I don't want water to get in the shift cable but I don't have the tools to take it apart that the manual specifies, so, my cable and assembly is currently at Grand Point Marina (former OMC dealer) and they're taking it apart so I can put new seals in that thing.

In other news I have both side interior panels in, heli-coil-ed two of the mounting bolt holes in the intermediate unit (don't want the sterndrive falling off), replaced a ball gear seal on the intermediate unit cuz it had a tear in it for some reason even though I replaced them like a month ago.

It's getting there

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Boats ride for an hour work on them for 2.Need to just pass that buick and bayliner my way..Never hurts to ask.Looks great.Get the bugs out and itll run for years.