Replace Mercruiser 5.7 Carb with 4.3 EFI

Rutto

Seaman Apprentice
Hello Everybody,
this summer my engine, a Mercruiser 5.7 Carb died with water in the cilinders (because of raiser even if new ?), the mechanic is looking for a lot of money for the repair and I am not happy to procceed as while I rate the quotation far too expensive I can't technically demonstrate it.

It happens a good friend of mine who own me some money has a Mercruiser 4.3 EFI rebuild 0 hours with raiser and everything and he can give it to me to set to zero his debt.

The boat is a 1989 Regal 233 XL, do you think I can replace the 5.7 carb with the 4.3 EFI with no pain ? Is it a smart move or am I going into troubles ?

Thank you.

Ps.
Everytime I have questions about Mercruiser I came here, because of Don ! Thanks Don from a reader, rest in peace !

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Replace Mercruiser 5.7 Carb with 4.3 EFI

Hello Everybody,
this summer my engine, a Mercruiser 5.7 Carb died with water in the cilinders (because of raiser even if new ?), the mechanic is looking for a lot of money for the repair and I am not happy to procceed as while I rate the quotation far too expensive I can't technically demonstrate it.

It happens a good friend of mine who own me some money has a Mercruiser 4.3 EFI rebuild 0 hours with raiser and everything and he can give it to me to set to zero his debt.

The boat is a 1989 Regal 233 XL, do you think I can replace the 5.7 carb with the 4.3 EFI with no pain ? Is it a smart move or am I going into troubles ?

Thank you.

Ps.
Everytime I have questions about Mercruiser I came here, because of Don ! Thanks Don from a reader, rest in peace !

Going from a 5.7 to a 4.3 efi on a 23 footer is a bad move. Not enough hp to move the boat.

Just because it has water in the cylinders doesn't mean it cannot be dried out and run again. You said it was because of the exhaust elbow, just replace the exhaust manifold and elbows maybe and get her going. What did it miss or not understand?

Rutto

Seaman Apprentice

Going from a 5.7 to a 4.3 efi on a 23 footer is a bad move. Not enough hp to move the boat.

Just because it has water in the cylinders doesn't mean it cannot be dried out and run again. You said it was because of the exhaust elbow, just replace the exhaust manifold and elbows maybe and get her going. What did it miss or not understand?

Thanks for the reply AllDodge.
I'm from Italy, the boat and mechanic are in Greece, we do not speak the same language and we have to communicate in english that as you might have noticed is not my best skill :)
While I am not an engine expert I can't really get it all well when he explain me what's the issue and the work to be done.
The quotation he made is something like 6.500 US dollars... I can buy 3 engines for that price probably but I am not in the position to tell him that he has to bill me less than half of that.
He mention that the water in the cilinders also went down in the oil, damaged the rods and many stuff into the engine, I don't really trust this but I cannot proof.

My plan was to replace the engine (cheaper than fixing it with him) and get back my old engine so that I can have it checked and fixed later in Italy from my trusted mechanic.

The reason why I thought I can go with the switch is that my old 5.7 Carb has 240 hp while the 4.3 EFI has 220 hp and the loss of power seem to me acceptable, but again, I am not an expert.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

its not the HP loss, its the torque curve that you need to be concerned about. while the 4.3 may look like it can do the job (only 20hp) , that rating is at the high end.

I would doubt that there is enough torque on the bottem end to get your 23' boat on plane very well.

that being said. and the fact that you already know that you can buy about 3 engines..... If it was my boat and assuming the block is not cracked, I would pull the motor, change the heads to vortec and put in a stroked crank to make a 383 with new pistons. Even with customs and higher shipping cost, you could have a nice 6.2 based off your current 5.7 block and really be happy for much less than the mechanic is trying to charge you.

agallant80

Commander

I had a 21 foot powered by a 4.3MPI and I was very happy with the performance. With that said the gear ratio on the outdrive may not be proper after the swap.

alldodge

Staff member

Agree with Scott, just not enough torque (said hp meant torque). My 23 weight 3800 and your regal is from what I found 3900. I'm running a 7.4 and I have a friend with similar boat with the 5.7 and mine does much better then his. Going to a 4.3 just would not work out to your liking in my opinion. Could pick up a long block of the same kind for under 3K and around 4K for vortec.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

My previous engine (a 1994 4.3LX, 180hp) is currently in a 23' Cuddy cabin boat. The owner pulled a 305 and I dropped the 4.3LX in. He's more than happy with the performance. It's about 6 knots quicker than the 305 was. But, that was a 305, not a 350. You will definitely notice the power drop, and you will need to change the drive ratio. And unless the 4.3MPI is a Bravo engine, you'll need to have the ECM changed too...

Personally, I'd look at buying a 5.7 long block and swapping all the 'bolt-ons' over. Be way cheaper than your quote.
New GM Longblock - 5.7L, 270hp, 1987-1995 (#2544-S) | Performance Product Technologies

Or if you'd like to update the intake manifold, go to a vortec.. GM 1996 and Newer 5.7L Vortec New Base Marine Engine | Performance Product Technologies

Chris......

alldodge

Staff member

My previous engine is currently in a 23' Cuddy cabin boat.

Hi Chris
Just wondering, what model of boat was it and what did it weight?

thumpar

Admiral

I don't think replacing a 305 with a 4.3 would be that just difference. I have always thought of the 305 as a turd motor. Going from a 5.7 to a 4.3 is much different. My 3100lbs 20' 8'6" beam boat has a 5.7 in it. If it ever needs an overhaul I would consider the 7.4 as a replacement. There is no replacement for displacement as they say.

Last edited:

achris

Hi Chris

Caribbean Crusader. (Not sure of the weight, around 2 tons I would think. Caribbean built them heavy/solid in those days. :thumb:)

Like this one.
Used 1978 CARIBBEAN CRUSADER Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au

Ignore the size this ad has posted, it's a genuine 23', not 24.61. He might be measuring around the gunwale, or using 'metric feet'... (PM me about THAT one. :facepalm:)

I don't think replacing a 305 with a 4.3 would be that just difference. I have always thought of the 305 as a turd motor. Going from a 5.7 to a 4.3 is much different. My 3100lbs 20' 8'6" beam boat has a 5.7 in it. If it ever needs an overhaul I would consider the 7.4 as a replacement. There is no replacement for displacement as they say.

My boat (see signature) is also a 20', and heavy for its size, around 2 tons all up. With the 4.3MPI in, it does 42.3 knots... Way faster than I can usually go on a good day. Most of my cruising is done in the 16-24 knots range (mainly due to weather), and the engine is right in the sweet spot. Any bigger engine and the revs would be too low and outside the power band, it would be a dog.

As for the 305 being a 'turd'... No, it's an engine. It has a function, if that function doesn't suit you, move on, find one that does, but don't refer to anything that doesn't suit your requirements as a 'turd'....

Chris......

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member

I think there is some issues with the specs. I'm finding the Bertram and crusader to be a different hull design then rinker, regal, crownline, etc designs. The free board is higher but the weight is lighter along with beam at the waterline. Found they are very well built boats and made for the ocean but not the same setup. Found a 23 foot Bertram which he said specs were less the 4K pounds dry and found Crusaders were less, but finding real accurate speces is difficult. I'm not disputing your statement just there are other variables involved

23 Bertram/Carribian Stringers and transom - Boat Design Forums

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Hello Everybody,

Thank you.

Ps.

Very bad move.While i cannot be sure i play with efi more than anyone has a right too.....The cost of doing efi right that is to its full potential..or just dropping a carb on a 5.7,,The 5.7 would by far win the day..not even a topic for discussion.

achris

Bertram 23 and Crusader are different boats. Same factory, yes, but that's where the similarity ends.

Have a look at his 'weight on trailer', over 5,000lbs. The 'empty hull weight' is no engine, no fuel tank, nothing, just an absolutely bare hull..

Yes, finding any specs on these older boats is a nightmare. I have the original sales brochure for my boat :D, and it shows the 'approximate weight' as 2,500lbs. I suspect that just the hull, engine and empty fuel tank, and no other gear. I have just found a brief write-up done a few years ago by a local magazine, it shows the Caribbean Crusader 23 with a hull weight of 990kg (2182 lbs) and a 'weight on trailer' as 1.8 tonnes (3968lbs).... (I can post it if you like;))

Chris.....

achris

Hi Chris

Since you asked ;) :lol: (note the 'weight on trailer', that's the important one.)

Here's my boat (20')

attachment.php

Here's the Caribbean Crusader 23.

attachment.php

Hope this helps...

Chris......

Attachments

• bertram20.JPG
    bertram20.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 0
  • caribbean.JPG
    caribbean.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 0

achris

Very bad move.While i cannot be sure i play with efi more than anyone has a right too.....The cost of doing efi right that is to its full potential..or just dropping a carb on a 5.7,,The 5.7 would by far win the day..not even a topic for discussion.

I think he has a Mercruiser 4.3EFI available. I don't think he's considering getting a 4.3 and adding EFI...

Chris..

Rutto

Seaman Apprentice

I think he has a Mercruiser 4.3EFI available. I don't think he's considering getting a 4.3 and adding EFI...

Chris..

Yes Chris, you are right. I have a complete 4.3 EFI available, "plug and play".

alldodge

Staff member

The weight is around the same, just recheck mine and it comes in dry at 4215 dry (cuddy), with 115 gallon tank. Wonder how much the differences in hull design will impact performance. The six inch different in beam should be negligible. Will be nice to see if the V6 works out. If you go that way please let us know how it does Rutto.

Found the 233 Ambassador to be 3995 pounds
1989 Regal Ambassador 233 XL Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Rutto

Seaman Apprentice

I am a little bit worried to be your test man :)

What I am wondering is that if Regal never produced this boat with the 4.3 EFI they should have had a readon for not doing that... :(

NHGuy

Captain

Hi, I'm late to this discussion. But I'd suggest replace or repair with 5.7 stuff. The 4.3 has less torque even though it's close on total horsepower. It's torque that moves boats and 23 footers have some considerable weight. I think a 5.7 has about 20 percent more torque. That's your holeshot power.
You say the mechanic told you it damaged a rod or maybe more than 1 rod. That tells me there was water in the combustion chamber when the piston came up. Water won't compress like air. So it damaged the rod. If it also broke the piston, the water in that chamber would then drop into the motor oil.
You could either have the motor repaired or replaced once it is inspected by someone qualified.
Once you have a motor, check that the cooling jackets on the exhaust and the intake are perfect.
A lot of the 5.7 carb motors have a water passage in the intake manifold that, if it leaks, could allow water into your motor oil. I don't see any reason that caused your problem, but while the motor is out that needs an inspection.
You said the risers are new, that's very good. Replace the exhaust manifolds if there is any possibility they are bad. They can be tested like this. http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...s/testing-exhaust-manifolds-leaks-288629.html If the exhaust manifolds are from salt water, or if you don't know how old they are, those are also reasons to replace them. Remember we want the next motor not to have the same problem the broken one has. So this is a way to eliminate the possibilities.
Make sure you have a perfect seal from the exhaust manifolds to the risers. Use new factory manifold to riser gaskets every time, they are steel with gray graphite coating. It's critical to keep the cooling water out of the exhaust tract.
To clean the mating surfaces I use a little cheap air powered die grinder with surface conditioning discs like these Pack of 5 2" Fine Grade Fiber Grinding Discs If you can't get the discs there just use a narrow strip of Scotch Brite pad to clean the surfaces. Rub the surfaces the long way so you don't round off the edges. The mating surfaces are flat and the gasket fills the space between them.
When putting the risers on, start out by getting the rubber exhaust hoses into the down pipe and the riser, then put the riser down onto the manifold and gasket.

And make sure you don't overload your boat. If the rear of the boat is so low the riser tops are below the waterline, outside water can flow backward into the exhaust manifold when the motor when is off. So if you bought new risers make sure they go above any waterline the boat will see. There are various thickness spacer blocks available for this.
I'd suggest checking around where the boat is for a boat engine technician. You could even use a regular engine shop if you could then have a boat person install the cooling stuff afterward. Or do it yourself with our input. Greece is in a recession and you might find a great deal.
The engine is nothing more than a Chevrolet 350 with stainless head gaskets and brass core plugs. The carburetor is a very slightly modified Rochester Quadrajet. It's straight out of a Chevrolet pick up or delivery truck. It's the most common engine ever over here. It's not exotic and it's easy to find information. You just need the right guy or a motor that's all ready.

NHGuy

Captain

Hi, I'm late to this discussion. But I'd suggest replace or repair with 5.7 stuff. The 4.3 has less torque even though it's close on total horsepower. It's torque that moves boats and 23 footers have some considerable weight. I think a 5.7 has about 20 percent more torque. That's your holeshot power.
You say the mechanic told you it damaged a rod or maybe more than 1 rod. That tells me there was water in the combustion chamber when the piston came up. Water won't compress like air. So it damaged the rod. If it also broke the piston, the water in that chamber would then drop into the motor oil.
You could either have the motor repaired or replaced once it is inspected by someone qualified.
Once you have a motor, check that the cooling jackets on the exhaust and the intake are perfect.
A lot of the 5.7 carb motors have a water passage in the intake manifold that, if it leaks, could allow water into your motor oil. I don't see any reason that caused your problem, but while the motor is out that needs an inspection.
You said the risers are new, that's very good. Replace the exhaust manifolds if there is any possibility they are bad. They can be tested like this. http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...s/testing-exhaust-manifolds-leaks-288629.html If the exhaust manifolds are from salt water, or if you don't know how old they are, those are also reasons to replace them. Remember we want the next motor not to have the same problem the broken one has. So this is a way to eliminate the possibilities.
Make sure you have a perfect seal from the exhaust manifolds to the risers. Use new factory manifold to riser gaskets every time, they are steel with gray graphite coating. It's critical to keep the cooling water out of the exhaust tract.
To clean the mating surfaces I use a little cheap air powered die grinder with surface conditioning discs like these Pack of 5 2" Fine Grade Fiber Grinding Discs If you can't get the discs there just use a narrow strip of Scotch Brite pad to clean the surfaces. Rub the surfaces the long way so you don't round off the edges. The mating surfaces are flat and the gasket fills the space between them.
When putting the risers on, start out by getting the rubber exhaust hoses into the down pipe and the riser, then put the riser down onto the manifold and gasket.

And make sure you don't overload your boat. If the rear of the boat is so low the riser tops are below the waterline, outside water can flow backward into the exhaust manifold when the motor is off. So if you bought new risers make sure they go above any waterline the boat will see. There are various thickness spacer blocks available for this.
I'd suggest checking around where the boat is for a boat engine technician. You could even use a regular engine shop if you could then have a boat person install the cooling stuff afterward. Greece is in a recession and you might find a great deal. Or do it yourself with our input.
The engine is nothing more than a Chevrolet 350 with stainless head gaskets and brass core plugs. The carburetor is a very slightly modified Rochester Quadrajet. It's straight out of a Chevrolet pick up or delivery truck. It's the most common engine ever over here. It's not exotic and it's easy to find information. You just need the right guy or a motor that's all ready.