Setting up bow and keel rollers

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 16 foot aluminum single console fishing boat on a shoreland'r roller trailer. It had a pad on the middle cross member that the boat would slide on. When I repainted the trailer I replaced this pad with two eight inch rubber rollers. One in front of the member and one in back. I then adjusted the bow roller and it all loads great and trailers great. The problem is we are half way through the fishing season and my two rollers I put on are splitting in the middle. Is there a better roller I should buy or is this an adjustment issue? Also my bow roller is set up so the strap runs right underneath it and when you crank it up tight the hook on the strap is marring the roller. I cannot seem to get it adjusted any different to solve this problem. I know if I raise up the bow roller the front will come up and take some pressure off the rollers but then if I go too far the trailer clunks as the trailer flexes in the middle. Its like you need the weight of the boat on the rollers.

Any Ideas For Me?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Setting up bow and keel rollers

The keel rollers and bunks (bunk trailer) and other rollers (roller trailer) are supposed to "share" the load. If the keel rollers are splitting you don't have enough support from the bunks or other rollers. Either raise the bunks or rollers or drop the keel rollers. If you are splitting the bow stop you are winching up way too tight.

Floatsum

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Setting up bow and keel rollers

Mine is set wrong according to most.
Extended the bunks for the Tinnie and dropped the rear of the bunks as much as I could. Then dropped the rear roller all the way to just lifting to get the bow over the frame. Other 2 touch though.
Bunks extended to 4" past the boat with a eye bolt on the outside for transom ties (heavy bungies).
The bunks guide the bow to the center / rear roller just fine.
But, It is a tilt trailer too. But I rarely use / need it.

I find it helps loading this way (drive - on).

I'm a bit deeper for launch than haul. Easier when the back is floating (or nearly so).

You may want to try it?