Keep it, or sell it?

Keep it, or sell it?

• Total voters

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
This may be a long post, but I want to give you all the info.

So we have a '94 Bayliner 16' bowrider. Ugh. It's got the original 70hp Force, which has been truly trouble free, and very dependable. We've had it for 2 years, and only paid $1k for it. My wife has finally come to see the light, that we need something bigger. Only thing is, she wants to wait to upgrade until we get a place on the water (December or so). We're currently renting a dock from a private party for $100/month, which has electric davits, so the boat stays out of the water, and it's a very reasonable rate.

The past few days has been nothing but rain here, and we went down today to check on the boat, which is kept covered. There was about 3" of water which I can only guess soaked through the cover. I had the plug in, but I haven't installed the bilge's float switch, hence all the water. To compound this problem, since the boat is a 16 year old Bayliner, the floor is rotted, and needs to be replaced like yesterday.

So here's where we're stuck; do we sell the boat now, and go boatless for a few months (remember, in FL, we boat year-round), with the intention of a bigger boat to come, avoiding the expense of replacing the floor, and saving the $100/mo. Or, keep it, use it, slap a piece of plywood down on top of the trampoline that we call a floor, and then sell it when we're ready to upgrade?

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Keep it, or sell it?

wow tough question. You have to ask some questions first how much do you use the boat? If you use it alot then dont sell it use it up. @nd is the boat dangerous to opperate the way it is if it is get rid of it and look for a boat you really want/

oldjeep

Admiral

I'd keep it. Pull the carpet out and get the spongy floor dried up as much as possible then just layer over it with 3/4" plywood. Put in some new carpet and you're back to usable for about $200 and 8-12 hours of labor.

Just make sure you're honest with the next owner if you go that route.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

fixed floor or not you won't get much for it. I'd dump it and start looking, it's a boat buyers paradise right now.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

In my opinion, you aren't going to get jack for it when you sell it anyway so why not use it up!

wbc1957

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd sell it now while there may be a few buyers left out there, who still believe they have time to fix it and use during the season. If you wait, the price which would already come down at the close of the season, will be even lower when the issues are temporarily fixed or left to fester. Selling it now allows someone to fix it right for themsleves, or allows them to learn their own mistakes of caring for a boat.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

If I go the keep and jimmy-rig the floor, I'd without a doubt tell the next owner. The boat is safe, as long as you don't jump up and down on the soft areas :). Since I only paid $1k for it 2 yrs ago, I figure I can't really get hurt when I go to sell, even if I give it away. Wife would like to see us get the $1k back, but I'm not sure if that's a reality, strong running or not. We try and go out every weekend, but it's been more like once every three weeks.

Keep the votes and comments coming. Thanks guys (and gals)!

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

In my opinion, you aren't going to get jack for it when you sell it anyway so why not use it up!

This was exactly my thought. My wife and I want something newer than what we have, our boat is fine at the moment though. While we can afford a new boat we have decided to keep ours through at least of this season and next season. We are paying what would be the boat payment on the wifes car. So when we go to buy a new boat the car will be paid for, we'll have a nice down payment, and will not have to miss out on any boating.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

The return on investment on a pleasure boat that age and price range is your enjoyment. If you can get $1,000 out of it, than more power to you but don't count on it.

You say it's safe as long as you don't step on the soft spots :eek:. Come on now - you know better than that :D

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would clean it up and sell now. Here in Central Florida, might get close to $1000 for it, with a good running motor and good trailer.

I have seen alot of junk on craigslist here, listed for more than that. Don't know how much is selling but . . .

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I would clean it up and sell now. Here in Central Florida, might get close to $1000 for it, with a good running motor and good trailer.

I have seen alot of junk on craigslist here, listed for more than that. Don't know how much is selling but . . .

Exactly. I've been watching like a hawk, drooling over some of them, and laughing at others. I think with some luck and patience, I should get close. Most boats around here for $1k are jon boats it seems.

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

If your wife is dead set on waiting, do as others said, throw some plywood down, enjoy it for now and make it someone's winter project. I am not sure yo'd get $1000 for it but you never know. But you've put more into it in dock fees the last two years so really whatever you get out of it is a bonus.

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer

Keep it and use it. It is worth way more to you than anyone else. When you find the new one, donate this to a local group for a tax credit.

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'd hold on to it for the time being for one reason........
It's paid for!;)
With that said, you can start looking around for a replacement/larger vessel for the remainer of the year keeping a close eye on prices as the year comes to a close. This will make you NOT anxious to jump on the first boat you come across because you still have one.:cool:

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

I'd hold on to it for the time being for one reason........
It's paid for!;)
With that said, you can start looking around for a replacement/larger vessel for the remainer of the year keeping a close eye on prices as the year comes to a close. This will make you NOT anxious to jump on the first boat you come across because you still have one.:cool:

This is why i voted keep it. NO PAYMENT! The fun you have on the boat only costs gas money~! Use her this summer, throw some plywood down in the winter!

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

We don't do the whole payment thing, and if it weren't for the floor, I wouldn't have gotten the new boat.

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer

I say keep it and lay the plywood down like has been suggested. You won't get anything out of it with a shot floor, so why not use it until you have a new one. When you sell it, you could separate the motor from the boat, and just give the hull away as a project, and sell the outboard.

Lots of options, but none of them will put you ahead more than the other.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It is not worth selling. You will not get much for it and you will not be able to sleep at night if you sell it for what you want out of it.

I would keep it till it dies, then source another used one.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

trailer it , plywood the floor , and save slip fees towards a nicer one...part the boat out,trailer goes with hull...engine is seperate...