where did you guys mount your amp on your boat for the stero?

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer
looking to add an amp of my boat because my stero starts to sound like sh*t when i go above 30 on the volume. people wants me to crank it up at the sand bar but when i do i lose the quility so where have you guys put ur amps on you boat? Any pics

Also thinking about adding to 10" subs

Let me know guys post some pics of your steros so i can get an idea. thanks

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: where did you guys mount your amp on your boat for the stero?

My sub amp is beneath my dashboard. Nice dry spot and accessible if I want to add a little boom to the boat. I don't have a preamp for my head. Don't really need it, it makes plenty of noise.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

please dont listen to those people....there's no need for a boat system to be so loud that other people can hear it outside of your boat.

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

please dont listen to those people....there's no need for a boat system to be so loud that other people can hear it outside of your boat.

With all due respect, he is not asking if he should do it and if you think it's a good idea, he is asking for suggestions on how to do it. He has obviously already made up his mind that he would like to do it. It's the sandbar for christ sake!! Let the guy make as much noise as he wants. Party pooper some people. When I go to the sandbar my first choice is to hear my music, the outing is financed by me, planned by me and hopefully enjoyed by me and my group of family and friends and everybody does the same and has a great day with their own music sometimes drowning each other out, but who really cares.

Back to the original post, what kind of boat do you have? This would go a long way in getting some responses to your post.

Btw, one 10" sub is all that you may need with an amp if you already have your radio pushing four other speakers, I have this setup and am pleased with it, plenty of clean sound in and OUT of the boat if we are hanging right next to it at the sandbar or anywhere else. I have a cabin so that is where my amp was installed.

I hope you get a lot of responses and enjoy your tunes at the sandbar once you complete your installation.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm all for listening to music, but when you go out of your way to make it loud enough to BLAST the whole sand bar......that's when i have a problem..

ziggy

Admiral

instead of a amp and sub wooofer. just get a better in dash. one that don't distort above 30.

on my 19' boat, i've got a panasoinc in dash. 50 watts x 4 into 6.5'' speakers. no sub and the bass is reasonable enough. i can hear it while cruising if i want. to me that's plenty loud. and i like loud music... if it's good music that is. what i hear at the beach don't qualify for good music. everyone has different taste.

i don't have my radio on at the beach when others are around. they might feel like i do.

bpmcl00

Petty Officer 1st Class

ran a 700w 4 channel amp for a 12 inch sub and 4 6-inch seakers, i mounted mine under the sundeck in motor compartment up against the wall of my back seat, i would advise against this area since the motor tends to heat up this area pretty well, thus causing the amp to heat up also. under the dash would be my second option. Louder the better my friend!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

At my local sandbars, there is one that more or less is the party sandbar. People set up generators with DJ systems/speakers. A boat system is the quietest thing around! If you want peace and quiet there are plenty of other sandbars...

Anyway, with that out of the way, I have a 12" sub mounted facing down, right above the passengers knees. The amp is mounted on the transom, to the very edge on the starboard side. (it isn't the transom exactly, there is a false wall between the actual transom and the interior, its mounted to that.) No heat issues, there is lots of air space in the engine compartment, and its only a couple feet from the battery.

Which brings up the bigger issue.... Keep in mind you have to double your distance that you are running cables to compare it to car audio, since you have to run both power and ground. 15 feet of power + 15 feet of ground means you have to have sized the cable for 30 feet, not 15 like a car. A decent amp at 30 feet takes some serious cable! Its easier/cheaper to run long signal and speaker wires than power.

Finally... as far as main speakers, you can only push a small speaker so much. Add more speakers if you want it to sound better at high volume, don't try to push your overworked existing ones more.

GatorMike

Ensign

Wonder how those who like to drown out each others music would feel if I brought my Airboat to their sandbar party?

dhook

Cadet

Mounted mine under the dash. Plenty of room and circulation.
Placed the 8 inch infinitys under the back seat.

Attachments

• amp1.jpg
    amp1.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 9
  • P1010573.JPG
    P1010573.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 8
  • P1010574.JPG
    P1010574.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 8

KermieB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know you're joking... right?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Amp is mounted in the dash. Clean, dry, easily accessible.

One way to make sand bar parties better, music wise, is to get all area boats on the same station. Good luck, though.

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Amp is mounted in the dash. Clean, dry, easily accessible.

One way to make sand bar parties better, music wise, is to get all area boats on the same station. Good luck, though.

Radio station??:eek:

What is that??

Ipod or maybe CD.:D

a70eliminator

Captain

I put an 8" subby up under the pasengers dash, made use of some wasted space, the 480w amp is aft under the molded swim platform more wasted space, it was the best thing I could have done my 14yr old daughter loves it and that's important to me, all the kids want it loud, Sometimes though I do have to put a lid on it.

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

Radio station??:eek:

What is that??

Ipod or maybe CD.:D

lol besides AM for my Met games i havn't listened to FM radio in years. my new head unit has a USB port and i use 8 gig flash drives. or i just secure the laptop in the cabin with about 300 gigs. theres a time and place for loud music and partying on the boat is that time! relaxing on the boat is something entirely different. and yes you can do both. heck im 45 and at least once a day i abuse my eardrums. :D

Bayliner175xt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 1000 Watt per channel amp under my dash, 300 watt amp under drivers seat, 12" sub, 4x6" 3way 2 tweeters all through a Alpine iDA-X305 head unit, and it rocks.
I might need more power !!!!!!