Repairing brake system on trailer

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Repairing brake system on trailer

Sounds like you have enough spares @mnypitboat ;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I switched over to elec/hydraulic so I removed my actuator(I disabled it from moving and took out the master cylinder).

You don't have to switch anything when you switch to disc brakes. You just need to rupture or remove the residual valve in the master cylinder. That's all that is different. The residual valve holds some pressure in the lines which is not wanted with disc brakes or it will make them drag.

http://www.championtrailers.com/remove_residual_valve.htm

As you can tell, I have a bunch of experience with brakes on trailers. My family has had boats since i was 13 and I am 54 and I worked on them all. Many different drum brakes, disc brakes and many brands and models of couplers. My present trailer is on its 3rd type. 1st were drum brakes, 2nd Tie-down disc and now Kodiac disc.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I switched over to elec/hydraulic so I removed my actuator(I disabled it from moving and took out the master cylinder).

You don't have to switch anything when you switch to disc brakes. You just need to rupture or remove the residual valve in the master cylinder. That's all that is different. The residual valve holds some pressure in the lines which is not wanted with disc brakes or it will make them drag.

remove residual valve

As you can tell, I have a bunch of experience with brakes on trailers. My family has had boats since i was 13 and I am 54 and I worked on them all. Many different drum brakes, disc brakes and many brands and models of couplers. My present trailer is on its 3rd type. 1st were drum brakes, 2nd Tie-down disc and now Kodiac disc.

Again, I was looking to do this and be safe on a budget. I did not have any intentions at teh time to go to an electric brake system. I had no idea the condition of the old actuator, and the old system did not have a reverse solenoid. I knew what it would take to convert my current master cylinder, but with an unknown master, and a latch that was going bad on the coupler I figure it was worth replacing. I have only done brake on 3 trailers(well actually 4 but about 3 months after I replace them the trailer fell apart so I took them off and put them on my new trailer), and this is the first Tie Down set I have used. It seemed like a reasonable set for the price. I talked a lot with the trailer store near my house that services FWC's boat trailers and he told me it pretty much doesnt matter what brakes you are using, if you put it in salt water regularly, you will be replacing things at least every 2 years, if not sooner. I know for sure the drum brakes were stupid for salt. That place wanted nearly $600 for the setup I got.

I didnt realize it and I am not sure how long it had gone, but I obviously didnt have any brakes for quite some time. I figured any brakes were better than nothing at all. Oh and I almost forgot, I also wanted to convert my hubs from the liquid filled units to regular grease, so this took care of at least 2 of them.

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Speaking of grease. What's good marine grease recommended I should pick up from West Marine or something?

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was able to cut the actuator off but unfortunately the welds are made by God himself O_O I am barely denting them. On top of that if you look closely it looks like the coupler was welded onto some piece of metal that was welded to the tongue. It took about an hour to do this. Never had to use an angle grinder before. Kind of scary.

Also, called two local welder shops. They want a hundred an hour to do this. They said it would be about an hour for this plus another half for the trailer jack. F that!

One guy also told me that couplers should always be welded and bolts can easily snap. Scared me but no one on here said I should get it welded back on which is why I'm not

topcut.jpg

flippedcut.jpg

zoomedin.jpg

bottom.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

One guy also told me that couplers should always be welded and bolts can easily snap. Scared me but no one on here said I should get it welded back on which is why I'm not
Couplers are bolted onto a lot of tongues for boats that weigh a lot more than yours.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

When I dunk my trailer in salt water, I make a very good effort of rinsing off the brake calipers with the hose. I don't use a lot of water pressure as I don't want to blow water pass the seals. I boat in salt and fresh and my Kodiac brakes and are still going strong after 5 years.

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I go to Lake Mead or the Colorado River in Laughlin. It's all fresh water 'round here :)

UncleWillie

Captain

If the brakes work, this is actually very low..in the 10s of pounds. Its when the brakes don't work that this is high.

The ~300lbs was a wild guess assuming a full on, tires smoking, panic stop, with working brakes.
In any event, the forces are well below what a couple of 1/2", old, grade #1 bolts can handle in shear.

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Tried cutting away at the rest for over 2 hours. Barely got anywhere. Took it to a guy. Charged me $50 and I had him drill the holes for the actuator. Get it home and start tightening two of the three bolts down. The third bottom one on the actuator according to manufacturer isn't required but it looks like the guy drilled the hole slightly wrong because the bolt won't even go through. That's not my problem though. I tighten the bolts down and I end up over tightening them and the actuator bracket starts to fold in....WTF? I think hmm...So I measure the tongue. It's 2.5"x2.5" instead of the usual 3"...

What can I use as a spacer? It makes sense why there was a second piece of metal welded on now. It was a 1/4" on each side to make up for the smaller tongue.

EDIT: Just called Lowe's going to pick up some grade 8 1/8" washers just going to double up on them. Hopefully no one has any objections to that. I can't see worst case scenario being anything other than them POSSIBLY compressing. Washer aren't going to break apart...

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got everything installed Sunday. Took me about 11 hours. Most of it was trying to run the brake line. Broke 4 drill bits trying to drill through the frame. Ended up getting like 3 C-clamps installed and used 2 host clamps to hold the "T" in place. Tried using a Mityvac 8000 and that thing sucked. It's leaking air somewhere, going to return it. Their next model up in the $100 range is supposed to be the best. Ended up manually bleeding the brakes pushing the actuator in and out.

The highlight of my day was smashing my drill (not bit) into my left index finger (I'm left handed) and still hurting this morning.

The highlight of my evening was when one of my neighbors (small town home community) came to my boat trailer and took a picture of my tools and fianc?e. This was around 9:30PM. After 10 minutes I got really pissed and went knocking on his door. Apparently I always leave stuff in the middle of the road EVERY TIME HE COMES HOME. Hah. He must not come home until weekends. His car hadn't moved, and on top of that he was drunk. I am sure I am going to get a letter from the HOA about it now. I don't have the luxury of a garage.

I tightened down the brake lines as much as possible but got scared they would strip or over tighten. After bleeding for a bit I checked all connections. All were leaking. Tightened up again. Still leaking. I tightened them to the point where I couldn't move them anymore. They seem to be OK now. I need to check again later this afternoon and make sure no liquid is coming out. Went for a road test at Midnight and OMG there is such a difference. Night and day. I didn't feel it behind me at all. I didn't drive up to 65 but at about 35-45 it stopped just as quick as it normally would of if not faster.

I thought I installed the calipers wrong because they slide back and forth on those two guide bolts. It's been so long since I've worked on brakes I wasn't sure if that was normal or not. Seems like it was although I fail to see what's preventing the caliper from sitting on the non-piston side rubbing the brake pad against the wheel causing drag but hey, whatever.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That mighty vac thing is horrible. I had the same issue. I was determined to get it to work but after about 1.5 hours I gave up and had my daughter actuate it with a screwdriver. LOL. Luckily it was given to me by someone that told me the same thing. So I just threw it in the garbage.

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yea the MV8000 doesn't get too good of reviews. Their next model up is much better from what I've read.

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Forgot to ask but does anyone know what size bearing buddy or similar I can buy for the rotor hub? I would like to switch to something with a grease fitting.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Since we don't have your hub in front of us, you are either going to have to measure it yourself or call the manufacturer and get the size.

You own some calipers?

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No, I don't. Probably should get some at some point, eh?

On Another note. Not sure if this is common but where the axles attach they are connected to a piece that moves, I'm assuming like a shock absorber. I am quite sure that was what is causing my squeaks when rolling down the street. Is it a bad idea to pat them down with marine grease where it moves?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You have a picture of that piece? Is it the equalizer between the leaf springs?

Trailers always seem to squeak. I have never gotten them to stop.

Calipers are nice to have. You can get some inexpensive digital ones from Harbor Freight.

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No leaf springs. No springs at all. I'll get a pic when I can.