Repairing brake system on trailer

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Repairing brake system on trailer

12000lb 21ft boat? Have you had this weighed? My boat is 30ft.with a triple axle Trailer 120gals of fuel and it only comes in at 11700lbs

You missed the word "NOT" in the first sentence of his quote.

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh yes. I was going to disconnect it. No need :)

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I never said all brakes were the same. What I meant was that no matter what trailer you have, the trailer manufacturer does not make their own brake system and he can buy a complete setup from anyone. No need to try to match his old setup.

I would dump those drum brakes as soon as I could. I rebuilt my drum brakes at the beginning of last season. I use the boat in mixed salt and fresh application. Mostly fresh, and I had a flush kit on mine. I flushed them every time I went into the water. In August last year I heard a clunking noise when backing. Pulled off the drums and there was nothing but rusty bits floating around in there.

I bought the setup I have because I found them on ebay, complete kit with an open box for $250. I have had them on there since wihtout issue at all. They work flawlessly. So my thoughts are if I get a year out of them I can upgrade to better, possibly stainless parts. But for $250 I wasnt gonna complain. I spent more than that on the drum brake REBUILD a few months before and it was useless.

I am sure you guys will hear if I have issues. I will post it up here on iBoats. But for now they are working perfect.

What kit was that?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You don't want to use Tie-Down brakes...trust me. If you are going through the trouble of putting disc brakes on your trailer, get Kodiacs.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What kit was that?

Its the kit in the link in post #4. but as has been said, unless you get some miracuolous deal like I did, I wouldnt buy them. The much better brakes arent that much more. I only bought them because the price was unbeatable.

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I wasn't planning on it after what was said earlier. What specifically about them is bad? Brake pads are pretty similar, shoddy calipers?

EDIT: Thanks. I wasn't sure what was being referred to earlier with the kit

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I wasn't planning on it after what was said earlier. What specifically about them is bad? Brake pads are pretty similar, shoddy calipers?

EDIT: Thanks. I wasn't sure what was being referred to earlier with the kit

I am thinking that if you are spending the money on a new set, go for the better kits. I think they are only like $150-$200 more. I have had absolutely no issues with my Tie Down kit since I installed it in August, but obviously others, or other have. My boat is about the same size as yours and it sits on an aluminum 2 axle trailer. It only takes, literally, 30-40 minutes to install. The hardest part is bleeding them out. They work great so far. I needed the trailer to work immediately and cash was short, so they worked great for me. Like I said, I will replace them or repair them as things break.

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am thinking that if you are spending the money on a new set, go for the better kits. I think they are only like $150-$200 more. I have had absolutely no issues with my Tie Down kit since I installed it in August, but obviously others, or other have. My boat is about the same size as yours and it sits on an aluminum 2 axle trailer. It only takes, literally, 30-40 minutes to install. The hardest part is bleeding them out. They work great so far. I needed the trailer to work immediately and cash was short, so they worked great for me. Like I said, I will replace them or repair them as things break.

Single-axle brake?

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It only came with one. Just not sure if it's "worth it" to go to two. Plus I am not sure the rear axle has the bracket plate or whatever it is to bolt the stuff onto.

EDIT: I also plan on getting one of those hand pump bleeders. I have enough vehicles to warrant doing my own brakes now. Wasn't a big deal but two cars, the truck, motorcycle, trailer...Too much to pay someone at this point.

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Pictures!

topdown.jpg

sidetongue.jpg

rightdown.jpg

rightside.jpg

topdownview.jpg

sidetongueweld.jpg

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The brackets come in the kit. It bolts to a square plate on the axle. Both of my axles have the plate but only one had brakes. You really only need brakes on the front though.

I had one of those pump bleeders. Completely useless. It was given to me, the guy that gave it to me said it was useless, but I tried it anyway. He was right. Useless.

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

topdownangle.jpg

quickdisconnectandbrake.jpg

You can kind of see the weld in one of the pictures for the actuator to the tongue. Not sure how I can easily replace that without welding a new one on. Thoughts on this setup?

EDIT: In that last picture the text on the right says "WEIRD METAL BRAKE LINE" because it's definitely not a brake line I have ever seen before. Giant metal tube.... The other one is a normal brake line attached to a quick disconnect.

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The brackets come in the kit. It bolts to a square plate on the axle. Both of my axles have the plate but only one had brakes. You really only need brakes on the front though.

I had one of those pump bleeders. Completely useless. It was given to me, the guy that gave it to me said it was useless, but I tried it anyway. He was right. Useless.

Everyone I know that has used the Mityvac pumps swears by them, to each their own, I guess.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have always had problems with the Mityvacs. They leak air at the bleeder threads. On cars that I can get the adapter for, I prefer the pressure tank at the master cylinder. With trailer brakes, its easy enough to bleed with a helper.

The Tie-Downs have caliper issues eventually. Pistons get stuck and your brakes end up overheating. Whatever you do, don't get their stainless steel non vented rotor model. They are even worse.

You can bolt on the actuator. Just have to get your present one off. Stick with the Titan brand if possible.

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Are you suggesting if I get a new actuator that I should cut this one off at the welds on the bottom and just drill holes to bolt the new one through it?

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Are you suggesting if I get a new actuator that I should cut this one off at the welds on the bottom and just drill holes to bolt the new one through it?

My actuater is a about twice the length as yours, and its bolted. You could cut yours off and bolt the new one on. My kit came with a whole new tongue/actuator unit. Mine was still good, but it was for a drum system.

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Interesting. Do I need a wheel bearing press to do any of this? I noticed when I was looking at a few brands some said the bearing needed to be purchased separately.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The one I got not only had bearings and seals, but they were already packed and installed on the rotors. I simply pulled my old ones off, and installed the brackets, then slid the new rotors/hubs into place. I did need to use the old castle nut and washer and cotter pin, but everything else was there. And the guy I bought it from said some peices were missing, and I am betting that was what he was talking about because I found nothing else missing. Attatched the actuater, ran the brake lines and brackets and and calipers and it was done. I spent the better part of 1.5 hours trying to use that pump, til I gave up and had my daughter "pump" the actuator. Oh, and the kit even came with the reverse release solenoid.

I bought a new bearing packer to pack the bearings too, and didnt need it. I kept it though because my old one was in bad shape.