Removing section of bowrider

idesign

Seaman
Hi
Question
I am redoing my boat . Turning in to proper fishing boat .
Is it ok I cut the left side of boat. The whole section where windshield n fish finder is . Want to have more space in boat .

Attachments

• 459BE29D-FABF-4350-B293-F99AC980C886.jpeg
    459BE29D-FABF-4350-B293-F99AC980C886.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 23

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It is part of the structure.----If you remove that you will need to make some new structure to add support.------So it can be done.

matt167

Captain
Those gauges identify what that boat is, and the plywood on the deck confirms, that boat has no structure anymore. When the boat is rebuilt and structurally sound it can be modified accordingly

boatrup

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah it’s an 80s capri. The gauges and the windshield profile gives it away
Your doing the same boat as me.
Knowing this boat I would say you would probably want to have another way of attaching that area to the deck if you cut it away. I think the side of the hull will flex too much otherwise. Right now it connects to that front bench/box and provides that rigidity.

Wildey

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a similar Capri as well, and considered the same mod.
Be aware, the seat boxes also contribute to the structural integrity of the hull.
The hull thickness is several layers thinner at the floor of the boxes. That glass likely came up the sides when glassing the boxes in.
After removing my boxes, its clear to see the "step" and the increased flexibility in those areas.
Cheers !