Removing glue and carpet residue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezrollin

Seaman
After scraping my deck I have glue and a small amount of carpet fiber left on the deck,I'm using a 3" belt sander on it but it's slow.Is there something inexspensive I can pour on it to break down the glue and make it easier to remove?

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Removing glue and carpet residue

I am thinking that anything that will break down the carpet glue would break down the glue in the plywood, and soak into the wood and be quite flammable.

Either keep sanding, or put down another 1/4" layer of subfloor would be my advice, but I am by no means an expert.

ezrollin

Seaman

Yeah,I was thinking the same thing.I'm going to coat the deck with an expoy coating instead of carpet,anything that what soften the glue might have an adverse affect it also.Guess I'll just take my time and use the belt sander.

FishinInMizzou

Seaman Apprentice

I don't know if it will work on a wooden deck but......... I bought an old Soonercraft deckboat and replaced the carpet in it. When I pulled up the old carpet the glue and carpet residue were still there. I went to Lowe's and bought one of those tools roofers use to take old shingles off of the roof. It is about four feet long and on the end there is a flat metal blade. On the old fiberglass it did an excellent job in taking up all of the old gunk. I think it might work on the wood, but you would want to make sure you were scraping, not digging.

Good Luck!

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

asdacs is right on the point. I agree with his assessment.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ACETONE or NAPTHA ( lighter fluid ) and a wire brush does the trick for me in all my cleaning.
Both evaporate real quick. FRED

dodger11

Seaman Apprentice

I hope you are not a smoker, using naptha and acetone.

ezrollin

Seaman

I don't know if it will work on a wooden deck but......... I bought an old Sooner Craft deck boat and replaced the carpet in it. When I pulled up the old carpet the glue and carpet residue were still there. I went to Lowe's and bought one of those tools roofers use to take old shingles off of the roof. It is about four feet long and on the end there is a flat metal blade. On the old fiberglass it did an excellent job in taking up all of the old gunk. I think it might work on the wood, but you would want to make sure you were scraping, not digging.

Good Luck!

I did use a similar tool for scraping up ceramic tiles,might be the same tool.It did a good job of ripping up the carpet but leaves the glue with a small amount of carpet fibers.In some spots the glue has broken down more than others and the belt sander will remove it abeit at a slow rate but you won't live long enough to remove all of it with a belt sander.After doing some research I learned that even the heavy duty stand up belt sander doesn't do any better.One guy said he used purple power,a type of degreaser found at auto part stores,it' biodegradable and it made from orange peels I believe.I'm going to try some and see how it works,will post results.

divinginn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I used the pressure washer on mine,it was still tough going.

J JACKSON

Petty Officer 2nd Class

how about a floor sander like the ones used on hardwood floors? lowes rents them around here

ezrollin

Seaman

I did some online searching and some guy had rented one of those commercial heavy duty stand up belt sanders and even it wouldn't remove the glue and carpet residue with any efficiency.The glue has to be broken down and then a scraper and regular belt sander will get it up.I'm going to try the purple power tomorrow weather permitting.I think the trick with this stuff is to brush on just enough in a small area to soften the glue without saturating the wood and then wash the area off with water,let dry and finish up with a belt sander.

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class

First, pulling carpet and removing the old glue is a royal PITA , dont take the job on lightly Rented first a drum than a rotary floor sander, promptly returned both. The 1 hp 3in belt sander is the only tool that works. Buy lots of belts.. Question, do you think it"s necessary to remove all the old glue?? Once your down to a light skim still on the plywood than grinding it off means grinding off wood. That cant be good for marine grade ply. Comments on another pontoon forum indicate that the new style glue wont adhere to the old style. Why cant we just get the old style?? It sure sticks like blazes. Have you removed every bit or can you leave a skim. Also, dont try this in the hot sun, glue just turn to gum. I have to work at night.. PITA

asdasc

If it is that much of a PITA, I think I would pick one of 3 solutions:

1> Live with it, just put carpet over it and forget about it.
2> Put down some 1/4 thick underlayment and carpet over that.
3> If I really couldn't live with it, I would pay the $300 and redeck the boat.

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class

what underlayment would work??

BBDAWG

Seaman Apprentice

I am experiencing the same issues on my 2007 Monark 180. The orig carpet was destroyed and I removed it. The glue and some fuzzys were left and I have also been sanding with a belt sander. I have the majority of the old fuzzys gone and it looks real good. My question is, as this is a 2007 model, what is the OLD glue vs the NEW glue?
I am hoping I can now just add new glue and lay my new carpet.

asdasc

I would take a section of the new carpet and roll it out on the deck to see if the old glue is even an issue. Thick carpet would help here.

On my old pontoon, the carpet wasn't glued down, it was just tacked at the edges and held in by the aluminum sections that went all around the decking. If you are going to glue it down, I would do so sparingly to avoid this issue for the future.

BBDAWG

Seaman Apprentice

Let me ask, with all the furniture, side rails and table fittings, what would be the major benefit to even gluing the carpet down?

Carpet in our old fiberglass boat had snaps on the edges and no glue anywhere..

jerana

Recruit

how about a floor sander like the ones used on hardwood floors? lowes rents them around here

I tried the stand up sander. The only thing it did was to tear the $7.00 sheets in less than a minute. I tried vinegar to no avail, I tried scraping with just about everything I could think of. Still no removal. Started my 3" belt sander and it works but is slow and labor intensive. Also it will ruin the belt if you get close to one of the screws if it sticks up any at all.

William S Downs

Recruit
I tried several techniques, but have found the one that works for me. First of all, you have to remember that anytime adhesive is involved (stickers, glue, etc) then heat is your best friend. After peeling back all the carpet, I found the best way to remove the residual glue was to use a heat gun and a 6 inch long handle scraper. The glue came right off exposing the marine board. I had spent hours sanding little gummy patches to no avail. The heat+scraper solution definitely saves time.

Status
Not open for further replies.