Re-upholstery Job on Cruisers Yacht 338 Bowrider

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
@bruceb58 it is Nautolex Beacon the color is 'Lead'. I am using it instead of the OEM Spradling Diamante, which is discontinued.
Looks like it has a texture.

I have been using Silvertex...also available from Albright's. I think I like what you are using. the Silvertex looks a lot like cloth.

You do a great job on your top stitching. I have a hard time with that.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Looks like it has a texture.

I have been using Silvertex...also available from Albright's. I think I like what you are using. the Silvertex looks a lot like cloth.

You do a great job on your top stitching. I have a hard time with that.
Yes, the Beacon pattern has a nice texture. The Diamante does as well, but I like the Nautolex's texture better.

tpenfield

Staff member
Here is a close-up picture of the original (left) and the re-make (right) with the Nautolex Beacon fabric and full French Seam.

IMG_2678 2.JPG
This was my first shot at doing a French seam (aka double stitch seam). The seat backrests and the bow coping have French seams as well, so I'll be well practiced by the end of this project.

tpenfield

Staff member
First Cushion - Done !!!

About 20 more to go 🤪
IMG_2680.JPG
IMG_2681.JPG
Corner base of the Aft/Port seat. Although this is one of the smallest cushions, it still was a bit difficult to make. . . Alignment of the colors took some time. I have a failed attempt at this cushion that is going in the trash :rolleyes:

tpenfield

Staff member
Weekend Update . . .

I have been making some progress on the seats, but I need to get some 'presser foot' accessories for the sewing machine. I have a lot of presser foot adapters for stitching from the right side of the machine, which is obstructed by the arm. I need a few things to sew things from the other side. . . top stitching and corner stitching for the most part.

So, I've got some rear seat base skins awaiting the new tooling to finish them off.

Here are a few things from today.
More trim pieces with the dark gray and red stitching . . .
IMG_2685.JPG
Here are the pieces for one of the rear seat bases.
IMG_2683.JPG
I've found that the original vinyl skins did not have many alignment marks, so I've added some in the skins I am taking off. (Black tick marks in the photo - left).
IMG_2684.JPG

The multiple fabrics in many of the pieces are making for some tedious work . . . more stitching and alignment. :unsure:
🤪

alldodge

Staff member
Great work, but hope all those dark colors don't have ya grabbing towels so they can be sat upon :unsure:
:ROFLMAO:

tpenfield

Staff member
Since there are so many pieces (and seats), I am marking the old skins up with the seam matches and the additional alignment marks I mentioned.
IMG_2686.JPG

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Can you post what presser foots you are getting? I have a Consew 226R so the feet are likely the same as yours.

tpenfield

Staff member
Can you post what presser foots you are getting? I have a Consew 226R so the feet are likely the same as yours.
I've ordered the top stitch and the zipper. (not that I an doing zippers, but they come in handy for tight corners and curved seams.

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 4.21.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 4.23.27 AM.png

I see more pesser feet online that are of a different mounting style, so not sure if the Consew 226 is the same as these.

tpenfield

Staff member
As a side note . . .

One of my siblings really likes to go on the boat, but is not interested in any deckhand activities. (rightfully so . . . )

I sent him this shirt the other day . . .
e5af32871dd879e1b0b1f99d8fc562d0.jpg
He loved it !!!
:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
should have gotten him "official beer fetcher" since he didnt want deck hand duties.

tpenfield

Staff member
Another cushion done . . . a boat-load more to go. 🤪
:rolleyes:

Here is one of the aft facing bases of the rear seat.
IMG_2689.JPG
IMG_2690.JPG
IMG_2691.JPG
I have its mirror image twin ready for final top-stitching, then installing/stapling to the backboard.

I got my new presser feet, making it easier to do the top-stitching, but I still find it a bit challenging with these skins, since they are about 4" deep. The skins on the Formula that I did a couple of years ago were only 2" deep.

tpenfield

Staff member
I finished the matching pair of bases this AM . . .
IMG_2692.JPG
IMG_2693.JPG
IMG_2695.JPG
The stitching came out better on the second piece (not surprising). There is also a forward facing set (to the large rear seat assembly) that I will start in on. Those cushions are simpler than these two.

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks guys (y)

It seems like I have needed to bang off some 'rust', not having done this sort of work in 2 years. . . But I'm getting there.

tpenfield

Staff member
Progress . . . Yay :D :cool: . . .

I made 2 bases yesterday and 2 this morning. So, the rear seat/sunpad bases are done.
IMG_2697.JPG
IMG_2700 2.JPG
I was unsure how the white and gray vinyl would look together, but I think it is a nice contrast.
IMG_2698.JPG
The OEM gray was a textile pattern, whereas the Nautolex that I'm using (Capitano 'Techno Gray') has a nice leather-like grain. The white (Spradling Beluga) has got a nice 'pebble' texture. The black has a textile grain (but you really can't see it in the picture).

Lunch break . . . :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.