Radar Camera !!!

KennyKenCan

Commander
Re: Radar Camera !!!

The radar-camera has been in use in NY state for the past 6 years now!<br /><br />Can't see how they are saying that DC is the first to use them?<br /><br />These devices have been used in Texas and Georgia also, as part of their ITS (Intelligent Traffic Systems) Systems.<br /><br />This type of equipment, was first used for the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta.<br /><br />I have actually operated this equipment on ITS Systems in Brooklyn, NY and on Long Island.<br /><br />Now, being I have operated these systems, doesn't mean that I agree with them.<br /><br />As far as I'm concerned, if a police officer did not actually witness someone speeding, then a ticket should never be given.<br /><br />This equipment was never designed for enforcement, and should never be used for enforcement, as it does have flaws, and its acuracy has to be constantly monitored.<br /><br />Laws should only be enforced by police officers in the feild, who actually witnessed the infraction, and then the officer can record everything on his in-car video for prosparity.<br /><br />Just my opinion.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey MY, they had one them here at home, it was a County cop car, but for the same purpose, and it worked pretty good till people got to seeing the bullett holes in it. :eek:

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I once knew a guy that blew by a camera. They sent him a picture and a ticket. Told him he had 30 days to pay the $100.00 fine. So he sends them a picture of a $100.00 bill. <br />They sent back a picture of handcuffs!!!!!!<br />He promptly paid the ticket...by mail.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

What if someone else is driving your vehicle,does the owner of the vehicle or the offender gets ticketed? :confused:

KennyKenCan

Commander

Good point EF,<br /><br />Someone other than the owner seems to be the big debate about it's legality here in NY.<br /><br />So far I have not seen any conclusions published, but they are still issueing tickets.<br /><br />Go figure.

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer

EF,<br />Here it didn't matter. It was the owner of the car not the driver who was on the hook for the ticket. Car rental agencies would keep your visa number for 6 months just in case for example...Demerit points didn't apply, it was only a fine anyway, so if it wasn't you, you better know who was driving your car...<br /><br />SS-You've NEVER sped since 1981?? Not even 7 MPH over the limit for a few hundred yards? How do you pass people on the highway? Around these parts if you do the speed limit, you best have a ramp on the back of your car... ;)

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

The only way for something like that to be 100% effective, they would probably need to have all citizens fitted with imbedded personal transponders :eek: Then there is the problem with the illegals :( but that is like opening up a whole nother can of worms, imho the whole idea just suck,we would be no better off than living under communism and all the other disagreeable isms out there :(

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Toad2001:<br />SS-You've NEVER sped since 1981?? Not even 7 MPH over the limit for a few hundred yards? How do you pass people on the highway? Around these parts if you do the speed limit, you best have a ramp on the back of your car... ;)
ERRRRR........... people around here know that in OHIO, you do not speed.<br />0 tollerance there. <br /><br />So yea, there are a lot of people that drive the speed limit.<br /><br />Never could figure out what everyone's big hurry was anyway.<br />It's sure to still be there when you get there.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Posted by SBN. Never could figure out what everyone's big hurry was anyway.<br />It's sure to still be there when you get there. <br />-----------------------------------------------------------------<br />I could'nt agree more,if they need to be there like "yesterday" they should embark a freakin day earlier.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Toad, I have a question, How well do you comprehend what you read? I said above that I haven't had any tickets since 1981. I did not say I haven't broke any traffic laws. I do come to complete stops, I stop when the light turns yellow, I do the speed limit plus maybe 4 or 5 over. Anything over that in this state will cost you time, money, and points. I must maintain my operators license to hold my job. <br /><br />This is a prime example of the "Left Lane Ends 1 mile ahead" but there are still those that persist on crowding in at the last minuet forcing a delay for everyone. I don't know if they don't know how to read and comprehend, or if they think they are more important than the other tax payer.<br /><br />IMHO any accident can be prevented unless it is do to mechanical malfunction. Other than that it is pure stupidity that causes them. So stupidity kills tens of thousands each year.<br /><br />Yes I was stupid when I had my high speed crash and I admit that.<br /><br />Anything that will make people operate their vehicles in a safe manner, I'm 100% for it.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

........somebodys watching youuuuuuuuu........

Kenneth Brown

Captain

As far as I'm concerned, if a police officer did not actually witness someone speeding, then a ticket should never be given.<br />
Hey Kenny- I agree 100%, and I write the darn things. No machine should tell you what you did wrong. A cop watching a camara is one thing, a machine doing it is something else.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

K Brown, you don't feel it would take the issue of profiling out of the picture? Sorry about the pun. :)

KennyKenCan

Commander

Hey Kenneth Brown,<br /><br />Thanks for being able to see it the way I do.<br /><br />I mean, if we start to put all our trusts into these machines, a little more humanity seems to disapear with every new device.<br /><br />Most modern devises and inventions have a positive impact upon all our lives, but this type of invasion of privacy by a machine is just plain unexeptable to me.<br /><br />Just my opinion.

KennyKenCan

Commander

samagee,<br /><br />See my responce to Kenneth Brown.<br /><br />I think it will answer your question.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

ROTFLMAO! how about a sticker that when photo'd<br />reflects the image of MY middle digit?

KennyKenCan

Commander

Trent,<br /><br />Don't get caught around NY with that Invisaplate on your vehicle!<br /><br />Unless you like to spend time in jail.<br /><br />They are ILLEGAL!<br /><br />You will see the Judge, at the Judge's earliest convienance, not yours!<br /><br />Around here, the police are even enforcing licence plate frames!<br /><br />If a licence plate frame obstructs any word printed on the licence plate, it is a violation.<br /><br />Everything printed on the plate must be legible at the predetermined distance or else you get a ticket, so, that means that you can even get a ticket for it being too dirty.<br /><br />They will even write you up if you have an American flag on your plate, that too is a violation!<br /><br />Go figure!? :confused:

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

yet another reason i live in the sticks KCC....<br />3 sherrifs in MY whole county, which i know :p