projects other than boats

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Recent posts by @tpenfield and @bruceb58 have me thinking about smaller LiFePO batteries as the battery in the Fiat.....

Ooohhh another rabbit hole of knowledge searching. ..

Needs to be small enough to fit, and be charged from a dumb alternator (this is a Luddite build)

Thinking two AGM motorcycle batteries may be better

ezbtr

Commander
I need ground clearance and transmission clearance. so I am going to rock a LS4. its the FWD version of the LS family. 5.3 liters, all aluminum. Will be rocking a Quartermaster clutch and the AR5. this will allow me to lower the motor 2" in the chassis and have some leg room.

View attachment 392910
I had that program in 1996 I believe - worked great for my 68 Mustang FB, +60 289/302 heads cam etc, all balanced and blueprinted ;)

ezbtr

Commander
Me - fruit trees, veggies, fishing, shooting, hunting, offroading, retired, central TX, dogs, house stuff, trying not to get married/divorced a 3rd time, spending my kids inheritance, beer, bbq, good friends ;)

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Picked up a LS4 short block.

Was in a wreck. Sat in a body shop for 15 years

1000003207.jpg

1000003206.jpg

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Managed to get some work on the closet

1000003211.jpg

Attachments

• 1000003208.jpg
    1000003208.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 3

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Nice find on the LS4. Getting ready for a motorhome trip, all the maintenance stuff is done but today I saw the first love bug and thought I better get some more wax on this thing. 4 hrs of compounding and not done yet. The buffer seems to weigh more than I remember or maybe I just getting to old to handle a buffer that long

southkogs

Staff member
Saw buncha' LS swaps this weekend : went to the Gatlinburg area and the Rod Run was in Pigeon Forge. Didn't stay in town long (we were just in getting groceries), but WOW.

flashback

Captain
Do ya have plans for the engine in your Fiat or are you just collecting. The shelving is coming along nicely.

Lpgc

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I don't want to take this thread off topic but are marine exhaust manifolds available for LS motors?

I'm British and convert vehicles to run on LPG (propane) for a living. A scaffold cradle firm I recently did some work for run a fleet of small flat back trucks. The trucks are only available with a diesel engine but the firm remove the diesel engine and fit LS engines which they convert to LPG to avoid paying 'emission zone' charges in some cities, I have been involved with fitting LS engines in some of these trucks and converting them to run on LPG. Early on during the rebuild of my boat engine it occurred to me that an LS engine would make a great boat engine to replace my Ford 302 and I could source an LS engine through the firm (who import them).

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Do ya have plans for the engine in your Fiat or are you just collecting. The shelving is coming along nicely.
Yes. Stock bottom, Ported heads, Gnarly cam, Victor Jr clone intake, HP830 carb

Scott Danforth

Staff member
but are marine exhaust manifolds available for LS motors?
yes, look at Volvo-Penta, Ilmore, Indmar and PCMC (not mercruiser)

all of them have both cat and non-cat exhaust

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Saw buncha' LS swaps this weekend : went to the Gatlinburg area and the Rod Run was in Pigeon Forge. Didn't stay in town long (we were just in getting groceries), but WOW.
there are shops down here that do nothing but convert cars to LS. you supply the car, the LS motor, and parts, and for $19K in labor, they will convert your ride. based on what I know, that comes out to $500 per hour.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Well hurry up, I ain't gettin any younger. :)
Read this then .....https://www.hotrodders.com/threads/1952-fiat-topolino-belvedere-project.550685/page-2?nested_view=1&sortby=oldest

And this..https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/1972992-cam-recommendations.html

LOL.

Seriously, this project will take about another 6 months of planning before starting in the chassis. Thinking a 3-5 year project

I do have a pile of parts, lots of 3D models, lots of measurements, and lots of component packaging

Going to use the roll cage as the air tank for the air cups. A manual valve is 1/4 the weight of an electric coil, so there will be a manual valve for the air cups

The air compressor is a dual piston unit for emergency road side work on motorcycles

Because there isn't much room. I will be custom making the swing pedals to mount the MCs vertical. The reservoirs will be hidden under the dash

The side mirrors will be cut-down moped mirrors

southkogs

Staff member
... and for $19K in labor, they will convert your ride.
Which is about $12K more than I try to put into my projects.

I've never done a swap. There are tons of things available to do a coyote swap in the Fox body ... but I think I'm going to leave this one a 4 cyl. At least for a few years.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Swapping motors and chassis is all easy. Just bolts and fabrication. The fact that an LS motor is shorter than the SBC makes it easy.

Not sure how in this day and age anyone can charge that amount, however people have lost the ability to do their own wrenching

flashback

Captain
enjoyed the trip thru your links. the rabbit hole has a lot of rooms in it. LOL

Scott Danforth

Staff member
enjoyed the trip thru your links. the rabbit hole has a lot of rooms in it. LOL
Just measured the jeep bell housing, etc. exact same length as the LNF ecotec bell housing

Can go bigger than a 142 tooth ring gear. The LS4 will take a GM small pilot bearing

1000003226.jpg

1000003227.jpg