Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I used it once on a truck I was going to wind up exposing a ton to salt water and pool chemicals , it seemed to do its job

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Lol need to keep it looking nice for the ladies. Hot chick's like good looking trailers lol.

I got the grinding done on the right side and the did the heat and beat. Should be ready to weld up after lunch

By the way phitobuckets app works way better than the online version.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I cant figure out how to upload with the new app I see no upload to photobucket button lol

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Never used it but...wouldn't you get the same effect using Rustoleum rusty metal primer and then using wheel well undercoating???

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's basically the same stuff Ziebart used to use to help keep cars frames and bodies from rusting out. They were big up around the northern states due to salty winter roads but I haven't seen one of those shops around in a long time. If you decide to use that stuff, you have to use a rust neutralizer first. If not you'll just have the rust attacking the metal underneath out of sight until it pokes through the other side or the coating gets lifted off by the rust buildup. I've seen quite a few cars with that type of coating that just peels off in sheets because the rust wasn't killed first. It ain't pretty when you see what it looks like underneath. Prep work is key to avoiding that nightmare.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I haven't used that product but I have used a ton of Eastwood stuff and they have never let me down. They sell the right stuff. Mopar, that says it is a neutralizer and protector in one. It seems like you would know better than I but I would suspect it would work better on rust than neutralized rust.

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
Haven't heard about that having the neutralizer built into the undercoating stuff before. That's news to me. But yea, generally the neutralizer type stuff needs at least some rust present in order to get the chemical conversion process going.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
While looking at that Eastwood page I had a blast from the past moment. There is an undercoat gun on the same page that I used to sell. My first job out of college was with a German hardware and chemical company called Wurth. They brought this same gun to market in about 93. I must have sold two hundred of them. You could match any pattern from any manufacturer with this gun and I even matched the spatter pattern on the hard top of an old blazer once during a demo. That one sold three guns in that shop alone, lol. It was also a gun that you could leave the undercoat bottle on for moderate amounts of time without having to clean. Something body shops loved because the old guns had to be cleaned daily. Wow that was a long time ago. Glad to see it is still around. I still have a couple of the demo models kicking around my garage. Just can't get myself to pitch them.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks Pcolafisher, hope yours is starting out well! Pat , Gomo I think I will order some of it and give it a try, can't hurt (at least I don't think lol). Thanks TC, now if I can just get the trailer paint on, I can get her put back together. Friday was my B-day so after celebrating on Friday night things were a little......."fuzzy" yesterday, so not work on the trailer, Headed out this morning to work on some more welding before Football fires up.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Arch, a little "fuzzy" is some of the best times to weld and paint. There is no telling what you would dream up in that stage. :thumb:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Lol fuzzy and welding don't seem to go together. I got the right side welded up this morning. I will be glad when the welding galvanized is over miserable.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
If it hasn't been said, be mindful of zinc poisoning when you weld galvanized...make you sick as a dog! Drink a few glasses of milk before you weld...it does work!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the reminder Baja, I wear a respirator and grind off the zinc in area of the weld. Still you hit it, makes a mess of the welds. Very nasty stuff.

Thanks for the B-day wishes!