Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Arch, are you using gas or flux core welding, or is that stick? I rather like the look of a good weld bead! I've used my cold cut saw on put to 3" solid squares and it left a mirror finish. I'll never go back to cooking steel with an abrasive saw. No more grinding burrs or getting cut by them. I do hate that welding on galvanized steel no matter how much grinding I've done. Great job upgrading the trailer! Cheers

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Pcola, its a gas shielded weld, but with the galvanizing it almost looks like a stick weld, lol.....lots of splatter and mess! I love it when you are going along and you hear a noise that sounds like a shook up pop can and see molten slag flying everywhere! The zinc is HOT when it flies off! I actually had a piece burn through my jeans the other night....ouch!

I do like the cold cut saw, but it seems to eat those pricey blades on heavier steel. Not sure if its me or the blades, lol! I have tried a couple different brands, let me know if you have any suggestions.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yes, a miter saw stand. I'm not sure about the poundage but mine would work well for a while at least I guess. :) Mine was built well but was in the 99-150 dollar range. There are plenty of company's that make them and I'm sure a quality brand would hold that weight. As far as the width, I bought a couple of roller stands that are adjustable vertically and I use them when cutting larger pieces of molding. They are a simple folding stand with 12" steel rollers on top to hold and ease movement of the work. My wings on the stand extend about 4 ft in each direction and anything above 8 feet becomes a balancing act. The stands were around 25 bucks a piece at Depot and are great. These would work for you better than large wings. Think portability. They make the wings as large as the stand so they stow away inside the stand. The roller stands are right next to the saw horses in Depot and are there store brand. Mind went blank on name but they sell bungees and micro fiber towels etc. Under the same name. I use them for miter and table saw cutting. I'm alone most of the time and they really help out on putting a long large board through the table saw. One on each side means you can cut alone without the hassle.

EDIT: HDX is the brand name I believe. Man I'm getting old. I used to have close to photographic memory...now it's more like Jackson Pollack Memory. Hey, that sounds like a good new sig.

Last edited:

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Arch, I'll check the brand on my blades tomorrow when it's light out and not raining. The company I used made blades for steel, stainless and aluminum. Priced that way too. Stainless lasted the longest, but most of my cutting was on quarter inch and lighter. I ran a welding business on the side until I earned a promotion on my full time job and no longer had either the time or the motivation to keep it going. I kept most of my welding gear. I still have plenty of scars from those years. Silvadiene ointment is great!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Pat, thanks for the ideas, one of these days I will start looking into that.....um inbetween projects....which seems to be the problem.....let me rephrase that when it moves up on the priority list I will do something....most likely I will keep cutting on the floor :D

Pcola, let me know of that, I would be interested in what you were using.

I had some time on the trailer tonight, yes the normal antics of welding galvanized. I mainly did some miscellaneous stuff. Filled in the web of the frames rail where they were square cut and tied into the rear cross member. So the frame rails are fully boxed now. I also did the final welding where the boxing ties into the new forward bunk mounts.

The front cross-member I am boxing had a couple of 5/8" holes in it from the old tilt / pivot deal. So I backed it up with some plate. Here is a shot of the backside and front side with it tacked up.

I did a puddle weld to fill up the hole later. But it turned nasty of course from the galvanizing. Next time the galvanizing all gets sand blasted off before I start any welding.....of course I didn't think there was going to be much.... :eek: but it will save a lot of burns, grinding and frustration!

I also welded up a few bunk brackets that were tacked, trimmed a couple and cut off the rear tie down hard points I put in, but never liked. So the plan in the morning is to finish boxing the front two cross-members, then on to the axle.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Oh and I ordered some of the really expensive frame rail coating stuff from eastwood. We'll see how it goes on and if all goes well, I'll let you know if it worked in about 10 years :)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
by the way the top pic in the last post was the tack weld, fully welded it after that ......all the brown around the weld is contaminate and crap from the galvanizing....even after grinding as best as I could in that area.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
7018 is my rod of choice......burn through it!! Paint, rust, galvanize......to heck with grinding....ha ha ha, (evil laugh implied).

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Chuck my stick welding looks a lot like a 2nd grader did it! I actually don't have a stick, two MIGs and an Inverter TIG that I have yet to use (friend won it at work and doesn't weld....nice little Lincoln It didn't come with the torch or ground....need to buy that!) I do think the Tig can also be set up for stick, but I really haven't ever studied it. Need to one of these days. I was thinking last night that I really need to move the plasma cutter up on my priority list.

I woke up to a balmy -2 this morning.....and I am working on a boat? There is just something nutty about that when you think about it! Heading out soon through the frozen tundra to attack the trailer again lol! It will be nice to get the boxing finished up, the rest of it should be a lot more fun.

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Arch, I just checked, and my blades are "Evolution." I've had my cold cut saw since 2005, and have gone through maybe six blades in that time. For the first eight years, it was used almost every day. I cut up a ton of square tube with it. Hopefully this information will help. Cheers

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the info Pcola.

I took a break from grinding this weekend and hung out with my Dad some. He had two friends pass away....so anyhow spent some time with him.

I did finish the last of the boxing grinding tonight. I hope to get it welded up tomorrow. It was a lot nicer grinding tonight and should be welding tomorrow. It was the high 60s today and 72 tomorrow....it was minius 3 this weekend and snow.....and now looks like an ice storm this weekend. Well hopefully I will have power, sounds like a good weekend for the shop. And with most of the welding galvanized out of the way, a lot more pleasant. Mainly modifying the axle, installing it and building the fender mounts / steps. Most of that welds to new steel, so much cleaner work.

Make sure you look at the nominations for splash of the year, there is a sticky at the top of the restoration forum. We have some good candidates, make sure you vote!

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I checked the SOTY voting tonight and couldn't believe how few votes were posted! Come on folks! Follow Arch's advice, check 'em out and vote! Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks Pcola, we need everyone to look at the great projects and cast a vote!

Tonight I finished the BOXING! That should be the last of the "lots of galvanizing involved" welding. It did take one more stab at me, when I was welding upside down I hit some and of course it splattered like magma from a volcano. It found the spot where my welding sleeve had slid down on the back side of my bicep......hurts but nothing requiring a trip to the doc. I was standing in the shower later thinking something smells like burnt skin....oh yeah my bicep. Glad this part is over, looking forward to the axle, fenders and steps.

and I have no idea what Photobucket did to the lower half of the pics......just when I thought they were getting better!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Your trailer work is better than PB. LOL Next time wear some asbestos sleeves. Wait, that's not good either. :eek:

Looks good, Arch.