Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

briangcc

Commander
OK spitballing since I hate tearing apart more stuff than I need when working on an engine....

What if you doubled up on that first 1-2" of brace you had, taper it down at both ends as skinned knuckles should be avoided (and don't want to interfere with the distributor), then drill a hole so you can get a bit in to undo the bolt?

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
That is some very nice work. Once complete it is look almost factory issued. Which lead me to an explanation of why this block does not have the same mounting flange as the old one. It is my understanding from reading on another thread someplace a long while ago that the marine blocks were based on the industrial version of the in line 6 which had the flange and the car/light duty truck engines did not. Why it made sense for GM to make different molds is beyond me. Just wanted to say I know more about Mopar engines then GM so if my statement is incorrect I mean no harm.

BTW you do very impressive work that is way beyond my scope. Looking forward to some engine noise from that 6 banger.

Have a great night

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Arch, that seems unfair. If I could do my transom cap in steel, it would have been done a few months ago. But since I have to learn to weld aluminum well enough to make it look presentable first, It hasn't happened yet.I bet when you get that unique part finished, it will look absolutely factory.

mr300z87

That is some very nice work. Once complete it is look almost factory issued. Which lead me to an explanation of why this block does not have the same mounting flange as the old one. It is my understanding from reading on another thread someplace a long while ago that the marine blocks were based on the industrial version of the in line 6 which had the flange and the car/light duty truck engines did not. Why it made sense for GM to make different molds is beyond me. Just wanted to say I know more about Mopar engines then GM so if my statement is incorrect I mean no harm.

BTW you do very impressive work that is way beyond my scope. Looking forward to some engine noise from that 6 banger.

Have a great day

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Up until the late 50's or early 60's the blocks used front motor mounts for all applications. One was removed for emissions or accessory equipment space (filled in the mold and saved a few ounces of iron) and blocks then looked like the one Arch has with side mounts and one leftover front mount.

Arch's block may be a later car or truck block. A casting number would ID the block, but Arch is past that now. :D

mr300z87

Have a great day

mr300z87

sorry for the multip post the site was giving me a error and did not realize it actually posted.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Update time. I worked on the boat / engine last night and tonight. Brian this should make you happy, I did the final welding, ground down all the sharp corners, filed it, bondoed it and sanded. I totally understand your suggestion, but I am in get it done mode. I would have actually had to widen the flange not thicken it. But either way this bolt is in shear and needs to be tight but not cranked down. So I just bought an allen wrench and cut it down :D. My hope is I never have to take that bracket off again......if I do it will be the least of my problems....only reason to take it off is if something goes really bad inside the engine. I painted it along with the AWOL thermostat housing tonight. Sorry about the pic, I will get an install picture...but it actually really looks good. I loaded it up with paint so we have a bit of a drip :facepalm: But I am more concerned with it not rusting.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180310_195222.jpg Views:	1 Size:	582.0 KB ID:	10881298

I also installed and clocked the remote oil filter adapter permanently. The NPT to AN-8 fittings showed up so I installed them also and on the actual filter holder for the other end. I decided I need to put it in the boat before I build the bracket for it. I kind of hate that but otherwise I am going to be guessing on the height.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200612_195758 (002).jpg Views:	1 Size:	485.1 KB ID:	10881299

I put the bushings in the front an rear motor mounts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200612_195817 (002).jpg Views:	1 Size:	369.7 KB ID:	10881300
Put the alternator belt on so GA can sleep at night :D

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200612_195806 (002).jpg Views:	1 Size:	493.7 KB ID:	10881301

I plumbed up the oil sending unit in the hole previously occupied by the offending component. I only had the sending unit.....after some research last year I realized that what I thought was the ignition switch hole in the Mercrusier gauge cluster, is actually the spot for a low oil pressure light. That is the smaller sending unit. I went ahead and picked one up. I have been searching for the actual cast aluminum and glass / plastic lens that goes i the hole but haven't found it so far unless I by an entire NOS gauge cluster. Anyhow I am set up if I do find it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200612_202444 (002).jpg Views:	1 Size:	497.7 KB ID:	10881302
The starter is also on, but I don't have the correct bolts for it. The old block outer mounting hole was over drilled and a mess. So I got on evilbay tonight and found NOS ones.....the ones I have in it will probally work but don't have the knurling. I had to shim it before and have always wondered if it had to do with the fact I was just using standard bolts. Of course I was putting a 3/8 bolt through a hole the size of the grand canyon....most likely my alignment issue lol. Anyhow GA will sleep better at night knowing I a using the correct bolt when they get here! :lol::lol:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
By the way Mr300, your theory might hold some weight. I remember researching Fugglys original 4 banger about 100 years ago when I started this project. The block was cracked and it was a sister engine to the 6. But from what I read it was an industrial engine used in fork lifts. Sounded like looking for unicorns, so I started looking for a 4.3 and ended up with a 250. Of course what GA said makes sense too, I will be curios what my engine builder has to say.

I was going to call him today but got sidetracked when I found out we have a person who works in my office building that is a confirmed COVD case. Naturally the only company in our building that went back to normal mode. I am the only one in my company who has been in the building. I hope she is doing well, but I don't think people give enough respect to this deal. It really irritates me that I have stood on my head to do everything right and some people just blow it off. I guess that is ok, but you have to remember that you are sharing it with everyone else....so please take the right precautions if you are going to be in public. The good news is didn't have any direct exposure, but I am planning on minimizing my exposure to other folks for 2 weeks. I will be glad when we get all of this ironed out, what a nutty time.

GA_Boater

I don't care about starter bolts..............as long as the starter doesn't fall into the bilge. :eek:

Nice belt! Made in the USA. :thumb:

I know what you mean about taking care of yourself and so many others act like nothing has changed. Life has changed and will be for a much longer time like an endless game of dodge ball.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
That’s one really big oak tree !
Hopefully you were distant enough to keep from catching the virus . My sil tested pos with no symptoms at all . Retested yesterday hope to get results back by Sunday . Got the RNC convention coming to town in a couple months .
‘It’s gunna be a circus .. Can’t wait .. :lol:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
That is actually a Cottonwood Sam. They are basically big softwood weeds we have in OK. They really aren't very desirable, but it does give off a lot of shade. I do have a Walnut and a Pecan that make that tree look small. I was happy those made it through the tornado. I bet both of them are 100 years old or more.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Big weed for sure .. The bark just resembles the live oaks we have down here .

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
We don't have live oaks up here, this tree would be really disappointing if you were expecting one of those lol. We do have a lot of other oaks, hickory, pecan and walnut. The hickory is mostly east out by the lake place. My big pecan tree is about 5' thick at the trunk, and my biggest walnut isn't far behind. We had an ice storm about 10 years ago...really nasty one 1.25" or so. We were lucky it wasn't windy, but I remember sitting in the house hearing trees split, almost like thunder. I lost a large limb out of my Walnut. I took it to a sawmill, the guy said that is a weird looking trunk, I said that is a branch and he just looked at me, and said that is a really big walnut lol! We don't have enough rain to grow things like up north, but we do have a few trees lol.

GA_Boater

Big weed is the nice name for a cottonwood. The fluff does a good job clogging AC condensers.

None of the walnut made it into Fug as an accent piece? Maybe I missed it cuz it wouldn't be an offending component. :smile:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Just be glad it isn't a sweet gum. Those prickly balls go everywhere and don't even step on one bare footed. :eek:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
GM we have sweet gums too lol! But I will take those any day over our sand burrs. Sharpest thing mother nature makes, hate to even think about stepping on them.....especially the purple ones, brings tears to my eyes!

A bit of an update. As par the course things haven't gone as quickly as I would like. Life of course gets in the way.

I manage our office building, so I was in-charge of letting everyone know to stay out of the building and getting it cleaned. That was a bit of a fire drill with people panicking. Understandable, but unlike Dr McCoy on StarTreck, I am not a Dr lol!

Summer, so lots of those chores on the acreage.

We had an RFP, on a short fuse for a $15,000,000 project, so that has had me tied up a lot. We send our last documents to the contractor we are teamed with tomorrow. Hopefully we get that one, it would be nice!

And lastly I almost hate to say it, but this has taken so long I am a bit burned out on it. I think some of that has to do with the whole virus drill also.

But, the engine is now back in the hanger and sitting behind Fuggly. Unless something comes up on the RFP, I think it will be in Fuggly tomorrow night. The only remaining project of note is building the remote oil filter bracket. That shouldn't be hard (I hope) so I am thinking we might break it in Wednesday or so.

After that lake time!

I have a bunch of pics I will post. Right now I am tired and dirty, just mowed.....so I will do that later, right now it is time for a shower, steak and zzsss!