Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Looks workable to me. Prime, paint and it will look like it was made that way...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks guys. I didn't get a lot done on it yesterday. I drilled the upper mount hole and figured out the lower lines up on top of the horizontal plate. So it would be half in and half out of the plate once I drill through the vertical plates. I ordered a bottoming tap, hopefully it will be here in a couple of days. This maybe a bit of a challenge, hopefully it will go smoothly lol!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Since I am waiting on the tap, I went back to stuff that needs finished up on the hull. I didn't have a lot of time, but I cut some 3/4" long sections of really thin wall stainless tubing out and sanded the burs off of them. They are basically sleeves for a stainless hitch pin to go thru. One will be in each of the seat frames next to the dog house. The other two will be in each side of the small seat frame in front of the dog house. they are more or less a wear surface and will be epoxied into the seat frames. Once you pull the hitch pins, the center section will be removable where I can open up the dog house. Basically a quick release for the center seat section.

20200608_191120 (002).jpg

20200608_191104 (002).jpg
I was going to put them in tonight, but I guess I picked up the wrong size drill bit. I will get that tomorrow and hopefully will have some more pics tomorrow night. I think once I show the sleeves in place it will make more sense.

I also ordered the AN line for the oil filter tonight. I think I am going to put the remote filter on a bracket that mounts to the automotive engine mount points. Which reminds me I need to see what hardware I need for that so I can get it tomorrow.

Hab

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I like the quick pins, Ill file that one away for future use.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Hey Arch, I have looked back several pages and seen a lot the trials and tribulations you have had to deal with. But I have to say that motor looks awesome! so all your hard work and frustration is paying off. Soon you'll be able to take Fuggly out on the water and enjoy.

I'm curious, what do you use for compressing the rings when installing the pistons? Since I have two pistons in my future I have been looking around. The tools they use in the service manual are pretty expensive so those are out. I did find some nifty ideas where folks have used PVC pipe of the right diameter, cut a slit and put them over the rings. I may look at that.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks, it has been a series of operator error combined with just being unlucky lol!

I used a compressor from summit racing, same as this but slightly different size.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sme-90a4000

Fairly pricey but it worked really well. With 6 of them to put in I think it was worth the money. And in the grand scheme of this project it wasn't that much.....as bad as I hate to say that lol! Hopefully she will be on the water soon. The tap I need will be here tomorrow, hopefully that gets the adapter off high center and ready for paint.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ha archbuilder, ingenious ideas comes only to those who try things. You can't make things work if you don't try! :thumb::thumb:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks Chevy, fairly happy with it, just wish it was finished, lol. I was pretty exhausted that night after fighting with it in the heat and humidity. I was planning on putting AC in that shop this spring, but that was before the old virus showed up. Maybe next year, till then I guess I will sweat some! Its actually really nice here today, 80's tomorrows the same. heading out to see what other odds and ends I can get done in the cool weather!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Well tonight I figured out the drill bit I picked up today was a tad to big for the pin sleeves, so picking up one tomorrow that is only .010 bigger. Hopefully that is the sweet spot. I really need to get a good index in 64ths.

So I moved back to the adapter bracket, I wanted to stiffen up the bend section around the water pump outlet. This is attempt 2 lol. It isn't as thick as I would like but I think it will work fine. Need to weld it up and grind it into shape.

20200609_200913 (002).jpg

Hopefully I can do that tomorrow after I tap the lower bolt hole.....assuming the tap shows up. It shows to be here according to the tracking. If they don't blow away.....30 mph winds right now with gust to 40. Sounds like later tonight we get gust to 60...yeah!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
It actually comes off fairly easily GA.....been there and done the weld it up and can't get it off lol! but I am with you on the hope I never NEED to take it off!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
From the straight on shot, it looks like the allen bolt is blocked. Put that with my fan pulley post. :eek:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
It is short enough you can pull it out and still clear the brace. The bolt is a 3/4" and there is about 1-1/2" or so between the mounting plate and flange brace.

briangcc

Commander
Only comment this guy sitting in the peanut gallery is going to make is....round the corners on that brace. My knuckles hurt just looking at that.

Otherwise...carry on Arch.

OK I lied...also, think about powder coating that brace.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Brian, trust me I am with you on rounding things off, just haven't gotten that far. I am going to paint it with a urethane automotive paint, same as on the engine.......I have been eyeballing the can of bondo to......I suspect it may get a little botox prior to paint :D. I really like powder coating, but I hate that I doesn't like fillers other than LabMetal. I do have things coated from time to time and picked up an old double wall oven from a project just for home powder coating....need to get that set up but first need to get Fuggly wet!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
The planets aligned tonight. Between 3 drill bits (one is in a few pieces), two taps, one tapered and one bottoming, and the die grinder I got the bottom hole drilled and tapped! That means a 30 minutes of welding grinding and sanding and this is finally done! I want to finish that up tomorrow night and build the oil filter remote bracket. If I can get that taken care of, I should be able to paint Friday and swing her in Saturday. 20200610_193917 (002).jpg

20200610_193940 (002).jpg

20200610_193924 (002).jpg The arrow is pointing to the condition I was trying to articulate, the bolt just ends up in the middle of everything lol! Some patience and the right tools got it there tonight.

Brian / GA you were kind of right, you do have to pull the distributor cap to swing the alen wrench enough to get a turn on it. But it works! Time to wrap this debacle up and move on!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Shoulda put the belt on. Easy to do while still on the stand and maybe a spare.

I know, it's always something. LOL