Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Careful what you wish for, I will be mowing it in a month or so.....stocked up on fuel just in case!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Ok new plan. I called the powdercoater this morning to see if the valve cover and push rod covers were ready. "yeah sorry it took longer than I thought....I had the flu on Monday and Tuesday........"..........new plan, ordered el chepo chrome covers that will be here tomorrow to use as temp covers......I am not getting within half a mile of the powdercoat guy for a while.

I did get a remote oil filter housing today from Summit, along with a harmonic balancer install tool. I was planning on renting one, but decided to buy one given the current circumstances. I am not sure how the remote filter will work or if I have room for it, but it sounded like a good idea. I hate changing oil filters on inboards. All hunkered down here with homework and an engine to build!

chevymaher

Commander
Careful what you wish for, I will be mowing it in a month or so.....stocked up on fuel just in case!

LOL I just today filled the boat tractor and mowers weed whacker. Got new gas and stabilizer. Injector cleaner. Fired them all up made sure they healthy. My grass needs cut it is just raining and got to wait.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Agree onnthe chromes till he is better and yeah remote oil filters rock! I had to use an fittings because mine came with hose clamps and ls puts out about 80 psi on the throttle lol

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
10-4 Micky. I am also planning AN even though the 6 only puts out 40ish psi. I just had it in my cart and thought it would give me something else to tinker with depending on how long this goes on. My plan at the moment is to just run with the standard filter, then look at the options once I get it in.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I researched and found they say even good screw clamps are mostly good for about 55 psi , wierd part is at the tire place all their compressor hoses are double clamped and holding at 175 lol scary

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I do have injector screw clamps in some places , they are nice because they compress 360 not like the normal clamps that have unequal clamping

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
We used to repair hoses at the body shop I worked at with just your run of the mill hose clamps. Never had a problem with them at 170 or so psi. That being said if they did come off you would just end up with a hose flopping around. Quickly draining the oil out of the engine would be an issue however! I don't think the bearings would be happy about that! once I figure out if I have a home for it, I will order the AN hose and fittings. So far I have just been working on work since I have been home. I do need to look at a project tomorrow when no one is around for a couple hours, but hopefully I will have some time on the engine after that.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Just winding down work at the house, might have some engine time tonight. My valve cover, pushrod cover, PCV valve and grommets from speedway showed up today. That should get me by till I can retrieve my factory ones.....hopefully virus free lol! Oddly enough, the valve cover has has a 3rd hole in the side....not sure what that is for.

20200320_164605 (002).jpg
I don't remember seeing that in the picture online. Fortunately I bought two of each size of grommet. I wasn't sure which one the PCV valve took. The larger ones (fits the filler cap that should be here hopefully tomorrow or Monday) will also work as a plug. Looks like you have to trim the inside end off in order to use them with the cap. So I shoved one of them in the hole in the side. I also have my harmonic balancer install tool and my remote oil filter kit (minus the hose, its still in the box) in the pic.

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
There are different type of hose barbs too. Some are a bit larger and sharper per hose size. Those are hard to impossible to pull off. Those are higher pressure rated than the normal ones. Also here is a farmer trick....
if I can explain good.
push barb on hose, put a piece of bailing wire about 3 feet long in a vice, grab other end of wire with vice grips or something you can pull firmly on,
where you want to clamp(in barb valley) you wrap once (360 deg) while pulling on wire you twist hose 1 turn back and forth. Every turn will cause wire to tighten and compress hose. You have to "steer" wire so it stays right next to itself. After first wrap is tight without letting tension off add a second wrap next to first and repeat.when done you twist hose perpendicular 180 deg to lock in. Cut extra off and fold into hose. Now you have a smooth clamp. Wrap with tape if you want.
pics coming

froggy1150

This little trick has saved my butt. Downside is it can't be done in place. Even did this once with 1/8 inch stainless rod on ac hose. Used a come along to pull tension. Was temporary but Been holding freon for 3 years

Attachments

• photo326629.jpg
    photo326629.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • photo326630.jpg
    photo326630.jpg
    657 KB · Views: 4

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Not sure that I follow exactly how you make it, but pretty cool. I do think I will change to AN lines, I just like the extra pressure and heat rating insurance. And I would be nice if they matched the fuel line :D I have no idea why I worry about things like that lol!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Look at all that bling! :D

Wear your PPE when eventually picking the goodies up from the powder coater. Gotta stay safe!

froggy1150

I posted as an "fyi", an old iron worker showed me that 25 years ago. He had 2 reasons. Dont come loose, hose clamps do. And a hose clamp will cut you when the hose falls. Wrap this with tape and it's safe. Last thing you want to do is have to rush to the ground when you are 200 ft in the air. Maybe I will try to post better instructions/

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I had to work most of the day, but finally had some time on the motor. Funny how I work more now that I am working from home? I did have to go to the office and a job today.....did that because I knew no one would be there. I used my foot to unlock and open all doors :eek::D

The biggest project I did was baking cookies....I mean heating up the cam gears. Both the guy I bought them from and the instructions in the cam gears were very specific about heating the gears and not pressing them on cold. Both went of fairly easily.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200321_203248 (002).jpg Views:	1 Size:	438.7 KB ID:	10842074

I also got the freeze plugs in the block, Mercury NOS.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200321_210659 (002).jpg Views:	1 Size:	554.3 KB ID:	10842076

I also cleaned some tonight and organized, did a bit of that last night also. I have a little work in the agenda tomorrow, then hopefully an afternoon on the engine.

Attachments

• 20200321_210659 (002).jpg
    20200321_210659 (002).jpg
    554.3 KB · Views: 2

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Losing my sense of humor! Looking great!
“It’s easy being a humorist when you’ve got the whole government working for you.”—Will Rogers

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Ugggg! I ended up spending half of the day filling out paperwork for work.

Then went out to the shop and started reviewing the factory service manual on assembly, just in case there is anything unusual. Looks pretty strait forward. Looking at the specs, the new cam has about .020 more lift than factory cam, .229 compared to .429. They don't list duration at .050, which would be interesting to compare, the new one is 204 at .050. I did look up the number and the old cam is the factory spec.

It was about that time when I thought......where is my plastiguage that I ordered? I started looking for it....almost 3 hours later I just ordered some more. I have looked everywhere! :mad2::frusty: I think I either put it up someplace where I wouldn't loose it, or it was in an envelope and I tossed it thinking it was empty. I am sure it will show up the day after I use the stuff I just ordered.....I guess I can put the cam in, but that is about it until I get it. I can do that and give the crank a final cleaning. I also need to take the end wrenches and sockets out of the cardboard box and organize them.......:bounce: