Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Lol you would need one 12 months of the year here lol. One of my friends teaches at the FAA academy and his students from out of state think they are dying, I cant imagine i am a native and still battle it.

In a rather frustrating update, I went by the paint supply and apparently they cant get the good stuff anymore. I picked up what they had, for more than I want to talk about about and it was more or less like putting squirrel snott on the valve and pushrod covers.......kind of what it looks like too......the paint didn't seem to care......Thank you EPA from protecting me from myself again....:embarassed::mad-new::mad-new::mad-new::mad-new::mad-new: I am glad there is a chairwarmer, who has never used stripper, dictating to the rest of us what we should use....thanks big government!

Ok, enough of that, I am moving on to see if my local powder coater will just media blast the rest of the finish off for me. Hopefully the head will be here early next week. I plan on just focusing on assembly and letting someone else deal with the epoxy. Funny how little things like that turn into speed bumps for a project.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Dropped the valve cover and the pushrod covers off at my powder coater today. He said no problem, have them cleaned up in the next few days. I also got the tracking on my head today, it should be in my office on Monday. I am very excited to get it back, nice new shinny parts! I am feeling halfway decent, so I hope to start making progress on the block and rotating assembly!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Yep all paint removers suck now , i just use a media blaster with baking soda or alkilinity increaser for pools , cheaper then lil liles of backing soda lol

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Good news, doesn't seem to be much on the news! The head came in today.....I just need to get the valve cover and rocker covers back and I think I have all the parts to put things back together...other than paint I am picking up tomorrow.

20200316_190648 (002).jpg

20200316_190756 (002).jpg

20200316_190655 (002).jpg

The first pick shows the lump ports he installed and where he removed the intake boss. That is supposed to be good for at least 15% increase on the flow bench. The bigger intake valves can't hurt either. With the new cam hopefully fuggly will have a bit of pep now!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Are the three head bolt holes through the intakes blocked off now? It looks like some machine work and allen plugs.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
I'm excited for ya. Looks like it's gonna be really cool. Can't wait to see it going back together!

Cheers..............................Todd

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
GA, if you look at the middle picture you will see 3 pipe plugs above the intake runners. You remove them, insert a cap head allen bolt into the "lump, the cast aluminum piece" and torque it down with the rest of the head bolts. Then you put the pipe plugs back in. the allen cap head bolts are mostly recessed into the lump, so they have minimum impact on the flow of the head.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Man that is one big chunk of metal, lol looks great , cant cant to see performance ! I was windering about that as well , however the hole is still there on bottom ? Must fill us in :)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I'll take a pic with the cap head screw in place tomorrow, it'll make more sense when you see it.

GA_Boater

Gotcha, Arch. I noticed the notch/hole in the lump but it didn't click.

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I agree Oldrem! I have been busy with work and trying to get things in order for this virus thing. Its not bad here yet but it seems to be ramping up daily. Guess I am ready as am going to get!

On the bright side I did have time tonight to get the sheet metal mostly cleaned up. Needs a little work here and their but pretty close!

20200318_201010 (002).jpg
I still haven't gotten the valve cover and push rod covers back yet....I think tomorrow is going to be my last day to venture out so I am going to pick them up one way or another. I have this odd feeling I may have a lot of time to work on this since everything is more or less shut down.

GA_Boater

Take your time. Arch. Measure everything 3, maybe 4 times, do a lot of test fitting, watch the paint dry - Any thing to spend time so when you stick the drive on, this is over and you can do a celebratory splash.

Oh, is that dust on Fug? She needs polished. Miss Morgan is feeling neglected, go give her some loving.

This staying in by choice is old already.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Well GA I have 5 acres and lots of projects. Fairly well stocked up so I don't see running out of projects anytime soon lol! The main focus is of course the engine. I have some outside chores too, so other than work and the internet, looks like lots of project time! I might be productive and loose a few pounds while I am at it lol! There is always an upside to things!

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
My upside is working from home allowed me to smoke a pork shoulder for 14 hours today lol