Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

chevymaher

Commander
HI all, well today is the day. I finally got everything organized and some free time to start pulling the engine......I have been setting here for 20 minutes thinking am I really doing this again, lol! Well its not going to fix itself, so I guess I better get after it!

I with ya on this one. Am I really doing this again. I can vouch I waited almost 2 weeks it never did fix itself.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Well I got the the engine and drive out, back on the hook...

drive.jpg
and the engine on the hook...

engine.jpg
And I am going to go out on a limb and say this is the issue......

hose.jpg

Looks like the engine coupler was rubbing on it. Now to try to wash the mess out of the bilge and try to get it off without having to take the transom assembly apart.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Spray some Flexseal on it. The guy keeps his jon boat above water, so it should be great for a little greasy trim juice, doncha think?

Isn't that a new hose you put in during the transom assembly install?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
good call GA, I put duct tape on it, then spray it with flex seal, good as new! Yes it was a new hose.....about 70$ worth! Well at least the mystery is solved. I guess I didn't have it position quite right. The other hose seems to be fine. Getting it off and back on maybe a bit of a chore, hopefully not.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I got the bilge cleaned up and pulled the water pump tonight. I have a new one, the old one was leaking at the seal. I am going to pull the bad hose in the AM and put on the water pump. Then hopefully order some parts and move on to some of my other punch list items. I may break down and mow my pasture tomorrow......I have been ignoring it but when a German Shepard dissapears in it that is usually the sign it needs mowed lol. Hopefully in a week or so we will be ready to put Fuggly back on the water again for more test runs.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
By the way Chevy, I did the same thing, wait since last fall and it never fixed its self lol!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well look at it this way, if it didn't have any issues, then you wouldn't have anything to do to it. So in a way, it gives you something to do...

Okay, I'm sure you could have filled that time up with more interesting things to do. :doh:

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Well look at it this way, if it didn't have any issues, then you wouldn't have anything to do to it. So in a way, it gives you something to do...

Okay, I'm sure you could have filled that time up with more interesting things to do. :doh:

Awe come on, you are telling me that pulling a motor you just put in is not interesting... :rolleyes:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Lol I am sure something to do would come up. I got new fuel line today, AN-6, some O-rings for the reverse lock out and a new valve body / gear pump for the pump today. Unfortunately I had to mow tonight...tomorrow night I have to put the brushog on and unload a box blade I got off the trailer. Wednesday night I might get back to Fuggly....I need to brushog, just depends on what the weather does...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
New hose with no holes showed up early!

20190612_212911 (002).jpg
I mowed my pasture tonight....so I can pretend that I am caught up on chores now and get back to the boat! Hopefully tomorrow night I can make some progress!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Arch - Looking at the packaging, that hose may have left-hand threads.

backw.png

To do list;
  • Replace the hose (again)
  • Put the motor back in (again)
  • Check alignment (again)
  • Put the drive back on (again)
  • Refill and bleed trim system (again)

Time to fess up - You're Bill Murray in Groundhog Day. :D

Hope this does it and you can have a few trouble-free floats. It's time!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Hopefully not, because I am pretty sure the one that came off was right handed! You left out take off valve body, hydraulic slave cylinder for the sending unit, sending unit and rebuild reverse lock out valve. I also have two low pressure hoses I am contemplating replacing....basically replace / rebuild the entire thing while I have it out!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Yep!

Took one of the low pressure hoses off tonight so I could take it to the hose place tomorrow and hopefully get replacement stock (Almost looks like airline for air brakes. should be easy peasy......had to take the steering cable out of the mount........:mad-new: Those are oh so flexible and just fold back out of the way......Hopefully this weekend will be a bit smoother!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Picked up the low pressure return lines at my local hydraulic hose supply. Picture a building the size of Walmart on steroids, full of hoses....we like hydraulics here in the oil patch lol! So $5.23 later I have 10' of hose and 10 ferrules.

Tomorrow I am going to get after the overhaul of the balance of they hydraulic system. The sending unit and slave cylinder are fairly simple since I have complete units, just swap them out. The reverse lock out valve is more or less replacing two o-rings, however there are some ball bearings in the assembly. But I think on the bench it should be fairly strait forward. The valve body / gear pump also looks fairly simple....so I have probably just cursed myself!

I also picked up some aluminum sheet metal to build a shield for the hoses. I need to study exactly how I want to do that, but there seems to be some room for improvement.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Wow man!! Always sumthin. Glad they changed all that hydraulic stuff around for the Alpha....congrats on the splash, she looks shaweet !!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks Chuck!

Now for the weekend update lol!

I spent most of the weekend covered in oil from the hydrulic unit. I started by pulling the reverse lock out valve. I replaced what appeared to be the only items that really wear / degrade. 2 O-rings which were in surprisingly good shape. Which leads me to think it has already been done. r lock out.jpg Word to the wise if you ever do this put it flat on a bench, there are about a million ball bearings in there.......

Next up was the sending unit and slave cylinder. I pulled the old ones and boxed up the slave cylinder, I have two rebuild kits for it so future spare parts if I need them. By the way all the slave cylinder is a piston that has a rod on it that actuates a sending unit. As fluid goes into our out of the rams that support the motor, the slave cylinder moves and moves the sending unit....which sends an electrical signal to the gauge. I have new old stock assemblies for both items, so I swapped them out. Actually waiting to install the sending unit till I get the hydraulics bled, but it will be a new unit. I did test the old sending unit and it was bad.

sending unit.jpg

I also installed new hydraulic lines between the reverse lockout, trim sender and pump.

I pulled the pump, which works fine but I decided to replace the valve body / pump. I am thinking that was a good decision. the old valve body / pump was covered in rubber / oil sludge. Pretty nasty but that doesn't surprise me after seeing the rubber particles in the rams when I rebuilt them.

valve body.jpg

I got the new valve body installed and ready to go. I also cleaned up the old one and boxed it up for spare parts.

pump.jpg
Lastly I replaced the damaged hose and re-routed everything. I think I now have the hoses out of the danger zone and also the shift cable.

hoses.jpg

I re-installed the engine today. I have it all hooked up with the exception of the linkage and fuel line. I am going to put an AN line on it, I am tired of all the zillion brass fittings at the carb leaking. The new line will have a total of 3 fittings and be rated for 300+ PSI.

I marked the front engine mount location before I pulled it. The rear are fixed on on the transom plate, so no need to mark. I lined the front up, bolted everything down and checked the alignment....spot on so now all I need to do is finish up the the fuel line, install the drive and bleed the hydraulics. If that all goes well we should be ready for another splash and trial run.